The four basketball coaches Tennessee interviewed

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Not sure if this has been posted but Hyams said yesterday that he believes the four candidates that Tennessee officially interviewed were: Martin, Byrd, Mooney and Turgeon.

Hmmm.... Turgeon was my favorite of all the potential candidates. Why would they pick Cuonzo over him?

Not sure if this has been posted but Hyams said yesterday that he believes the four candidates that Tennessee officially interviewed were: Martin, Byrd, Mooney and Turgeon.
I believe that to be wrong on multiple fronts.

Yeah his record at Tennessee ranks among the all time worst.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I went to TBA yesterday and the place was dead. Bruce had that place rocking 24/7. Clearly, Martin hasn't excited the fanbase

If you are going to make that statement why not follow through and qualify your comment. What are these multiple fronts you speak of?

I think the reference to Hyams is clue #1.

martin is just a bad hire just like Todd Raleigh.

Unlike Todd Raleigh, he inherited a bad situation at MSU having only 5 scholly players and turned them around. On top of that he got a solid player in Wes W. to commit without even stepping foot in knoxville. Now he may not be a five star recruit, but like another poster stated in another thread, it shows he knows how to build relationships with players. Also you can not hire a coach with previous problems with the NCAA. I am not saying Martin is a slam dunk, but I do think he can turn out to be a good hire. Give the guy at least 2 years before you compare him to Todd Raleigh.

Unlike Todd Raleigh, he inherited a bad situation at MSU having only 5 scholly players and turned them around. On top of that he got a solid player in Wes W. to commit without even stepping foot in knoxville. Now he may not be a five star recruit, but like another poster stated in another thread, it shows he knows how to build relationships with players. Also you can not hire a coach with previous problems with the NCAA. I am not saying Martin is a slam dunk, but I do think he can turn out to be a good hire. Give the guy at least 2 years before you compare him to Todd Raleigh.

We're talking about the Missouri Valley Conference. You can't name one good team from that conference. You can't compare Martin to Peal as far as "mid-major" coaches go. Pearl won a D2 NC, Pearl played in two NCAA tourneys. What does Martin have on his resume? one losing seasons, two OK seasons in a crap league? At least Pearl dominated his league. This guy is in over his head. If he comes in here and posts a winning season maybe over sub 500 levels he will be lucky even with Talent. Hamilton has to be the biggest retard I have ever witnessed on UT staff. We could have done leaps and bounds better. At least hire someone to a 5 year deal that actually has a resume. This will turn out to be a disaster. We're talking about a stacked SEC. He isn't even on the same radar as our low level SEC coaches.

Last edited:
we're talking about the Missouri Valley Conference. You can't name one good team from that conference. You can't compare Martin to Peal as far as "mid-major" coaches go. Pearl won a D2 NC, Pearl played in two NCAA tournies. What does Martin have on his resume? one losing seasons, two OK seasons in a crap leauge? Atleast Pearl dominated his leauge. This guy is in over his head. If he comes in here and posts a winning season maybe over sub 500 levels he will be lucky even with Talent. Hamilton has to be the biggest retard I have ever witnessed on UT staff. We could have done leaps and bounds better. Atleast hire someone to a 5 year deal that actually has a resume. This will turn out to be a disaster.

an ok season in one where you win a league title? Setting yourself up for disappointment

an ok season in one where you win a league title? Setting yourself up for disappointment

yea we have the grammar police here. That was fixed btw. I have to excuse grammar in order to blow off steam for some of you people who have your butts so far up UT rear-end that you can't even see the facts. Living on another planet. Too much meth maybe. I don’t know. it is east tn after all.

yea we have the grammar police here. That was fixed btw. I have to excuse grammar in order to blow off steam for some of you people who have your butts so far up UT rear-end that you can't even see the facts. Living on another planet. Too much meth maybe. I don’t know. it is east tn after all.

well just explain how taking a depleted roster and winning the conf 3 years later doesn't show he can coach?

We're talking about the Missouri Valley Conference. You can't name one good team from that conference. (1)You can't compare Martin to Peal as far as "mid-major" coaches go. Pearl won a D2 NC, Pearl played in two NCAA tourneys. What does Martin have on his resume? one losing seasons, two OK seasons in a crap league? At least Pearl dominated his league. This guy is in over his head. If he comes in here and posts a winning season maybe over sub 500 levels he will be lucky even with Talent. Hamilton has to be the biggest retard I have ever witnessed on UT staff. We could have done leaps and bounds better. At least hire someone to a 5 year deal that actually has a resume. This will turn out to be a disaster. We're talking about a stacked SEC.(2) He isn't even on the same radar as our low level SEC coaches.

(1) Wichita St, Creighton, So. Illinois, No. Iowa, Indiana St.

All of these schools have been in the tourney and performed well at one time or another.

(2) Stacked? Based on what? Kentucky and then who after that?

VN Store

Back