Top 20 Vols of All Time?

WesternKyVol

My list. I'm 29 and started watching in the late 80's. Nix is the earliest guy on this list who I remember. My sources are myself, the record book and my dad. I thought Yarbrough might be controversial so I attempted to justify his ranking. Any of you "old-timers" want to add some perspective or amendments?

1. King
2. Houston
3. Grunfeld
4. Ellis
5. White
6. Ron Widby
7. Chris Lofton
8. Reggie Johnson
9. Dyron Nix
10. Yarbrough (3rd in steals, 6th in rebounding, 6th in blocks, 8th in points)
11. Ron Slay
12. Johnny Darden
13. Mike Edwards
14. Carl Widseth (who I know nothing about)
15. Gene Tormohlen (the same)
16. Rodney Woods
17. C.J. Watson
18. Brandon Wharton
19. Isiah Victor
20. Tony Harris or Steve Hamer

Last edited:
Ever hear of Bill Justus ? He should be on your list instead of Rodney Woods and higher than 16. The issue with any list is how one compares the different eras. I, also, think that Darden, Victor, Harris and Hamer are nos. Just too lazy to do any research on my own. I would think about adding Mike Jackson, Tom Boerwinkle (sp), or Gary Carter instead of those 4. Good overall list. Last comment, I think that Dale Ellist would be ahead of Tony White. He played out of position the whole time he was at UT against much bigger players and still pretty much carried the team to, I believe, 4 straight NCAAs.

Ellis being behind Houston, Grunfeld, and White makes me laugh. Reggie Johnson behind Chris Lofton is funny, too.

My list. I'm 29 and started watching in the late 80's. Nix is the earliest guy on this list who I remember. My sources are myself, the record book and my dad. I thought Yarbrough might be controversial so I attempted to justify his ranking. Any of you "old-timers" want to add some perspective or amendments?

1. King
2. Houston
3. Grunfeld
4. Tony White
5. Ellis
6. Ron Widby
7. Chris Lofton
8. Reggie Johnson
9. Dyron Nix
11. Ron Slay
12. Johnny Darden
13. Mike Edwards
16. Rodney Woods
17. C.J. Watson
18. Brandon Wharton
19. Isiah Victor

How about A. W. Davis one of the greats from the 60s.

Ellis being behind Houston, Grunfeld, and White makes me laugh. Reggie Johnson behind Chris Lofton is funny, too.

I didn't see them all play, like I said. I have a hard time believing that Ellis behind Houston is laughable though as far as career value, not peak value --which is what I am ranking. My dad says that Ellis was amazing by 1982-1983, but that is the year that really put him on the legends map. Before that he wasn't even top 10.

Last edited:
Ever hear of Bill Justus ? He should be on your list instead of Rodney Woods and higher than 16. The issue with any list is how one compares the different eras. I, also, think that Darden, Victor, Harris and Hamer are nos. Just too lazy to do any research on my own. I would think about adding Mike Jackson, Tom Boerwinkle (sp), or Gary Carter instead of those 4. Good overall list. Last comment, I think that Dale Ellist would be ahead of Tony White. He played out of position the whole time he was at UT against much bigger players and still pretty much carried the team to, I believe, 4 straight NCAAs.

Yes, Ive heard of him and wanted to put him on my list. But he is hardly to be found amongst the all time leaders in anything. They didn't have an intangibles category.

I have reranked Ellis ahead of White by the request of more knowledgeable posters.

That's cool Brandon Wharton made your list. He's my boy and went to my High School. I'm a little younger, but he was at Overton with my sisters. His dad was my P.E. teacher and I see B Wharter out from time to time. Cool Kat.

I dont know how you leave off Wayne Chism for Tony Harris or Isiah Victor. Chism was the leader of the team's deepest NCAA tournament run.

and Yarbrough is way too high, dont care what the stats are. More to being a "greatest Vol" than numbers.

Last edited:

Dale Ellis should be in top 5 on the list. One of the few players to have a pro career.

Ellis is second. The silliness about him only having one strong season is dead wrong.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

1. King
2. Houston
3. Grunfeld
4. Ellis
5. White
6. Ron Widby
7. Chris Lofton
8. Reggie Johnson
9. Dyron Nix
11. Ron Slay
12. Johnny Darden
13. Mike Edwards
16. Rodney Woods
17. C.J. Watson
18. Brandon Wharton
19. Isiah Victor

I've been watching and following the Vols since the late 60s. King, Ellis, Grunfeld, Johnson and Houston would be my top five. Johnny Darden doesn't belong on the list. Rodney Woods doesn't belong on the list. I would have Jimmy England on it before either one of the them. Nix isn't top ten. Brandon Wharton shouldn't be on there either. Lofton wouldn't be in my top ten. Tony Harris, Isiah Victor and Steve Hamer have no business on the list either

I've been watching and following the Vols since the late 60s. King, Ellis, Grunfeld, Johnson and Houston would be my top five. Johnny Darden doesn't belong on the list. Rodney Woods doesn't belong on the list. I would have Jimmy England on it before either one of the them. Nix isn't top ten. Brandon Wharton shouldn't be on there either. Lofton wouldn't be in my top ten. Tony Harris, Isiah Victor and Steve Hamer have no business on the list either

There's a guy named Danny Shultz that should get some consideration.

I didn't see them all play, like I said. I have a hard time believing that Ellis behind Houston is laughable though as far as career value, not peak value --which is what I am ranking. My dad says that Ellis was amazing by 1982-1983, but that is the year that really put him on the legends map. Before that he wasn't even top 10.

Ellis was really good his sophmore year. 1980-1981. Was first team All-American his junior year in 1981-1982.

Whether you believe it or not, Ellis IS ahead of Houston in the all time player rankings. At least by most everyone who saw both of them play

VN Store

Back