For those wanting a big name coach

shortgameVol

I see a lot of opinions as to why we didn't go after a "big name" coach. I see even more criticism of the search process. Please provide some of the names you wanted to see us go after. I will help by eliminating some for you:

Boehem - not leaving Syr for UT, under any circumstance
Calhoun - same
Cal - same
Williams UNC - same
Williams Mary - same
Donovan - same
Barnes - same
Pitino - same
Self - same
Howland - same
Romar - same
Matta - same
Ryan - same
Crean - same
K - same

I am sure I have left some big name coach out who wouldn't consider leaving his current school for UT.

I am really looking forward to seeing some of the big names we should have gone after

Hmm maybe thats why we didn't go after any of those guys, nor ever would. No one is saying we are a basketball powerhouse.

Dumb post.

The whole point of the thread is to acknowledge that no big name was coming here anyway, regardless of the financial offer.

No question that we could have gotten a bigger name coach with the money being right. However, we have Martin and have no choice but to support him and the program.

My brother's barber's second cousin's wife heard a man say that he over heard a man at Wal-mart say that Pat Riley and Phil Jackson were arguing over the UT job. TIFWIW

I know I saw on one of the "possible coach" threads that Jesus was actually interested. Why oh why could we not have pulled that one off?

Who? Since there is no question in that rocket science mind of yours

Have you been living under a rock? Perhaps that's why you think I have a rocket science mind. Compared to yours, that may very well be true. There have been numerous names mentioned that were much bigger names than Martin. Two that clearly indicated interest was Lawrence Frank, and Greg Marshall. Even Larry Brown expressed some interest. There are many others that have a much bigger name and better resume that would have considered this job. I will support Martin in this position, but to pretend that he was the only coach we could hire is retarded.

Have you been living under a rock? Perhaps that's why you think I have a rocket science mind. Compared to yours, that may very well be true. There have been numerous names mentioned that were much bigger names than Martin. Two that clearly indicated interest was Lawrence Frank, and Greg Marshall. Even Larry Brown expressed some interest. There are many others that have a much bigger name and better resume that would have considered this job. I will support Martin in this position, but to pretend that he was the only coach we could hire is retarded.

LOL

I know as well as you that Frank is more well known than Martin, but he is NOT what would be considered a "big name" in the world of basketball. At least not in my opinion. He hasn't won anything of substance as a head coach. Again, Marshall might be more well known than Martin, but still isn't a "big name".

Larry Brown?????? Please. I know he has expressed interest in getting back into the college game, I just don't think we would want to go in that direction

Please understand I was being totally sacarstic about you having a rocket science mind. I know very well that you don't

I was hoping for us to hire Frank BUT he would probably stay at U.T. for 2 or 3 years and then head to the NBA as a head coach. He was not the long term solution either but I felt he was the best we could get, considering our current situation.

VN Store

Back