LOI buyout

orangepeopleeater

I'm going to throw something out there ... some fans say if a player requests a release from their school that the school should allow such request ... why not create a rule like a coach " a student athlete LOI buyout " ... they have to pay at least 25% or more of the complete cost of their scholarship ... it would help teach these young kids discipline in the choices they make and their parents will keep a close eye because it will cost them too ...

I'm going to throw something out there ... some fans say if a player requests a release from their school that the school should allow such request ... why not create a rule like a coach " a student athlete LOI buyout " ... they have to pay at least 25% or more of the complete cost of their scholarship ... it would help teach these young kids discipline in the choices they make and their parents will keep a close eye because it will cost them too ...

Why do kids who are victims of bad circumstance during coaching changes need to be taught a lesson? It's something that is completely out of their control and their time in college to prove themselves worthy of playing at a higher level is a very short window, so why not just grant some leeway in circumstances like this? It's a shame IMO that people would rather see a kid's athletic career potentially ruined than have to see their team lose a few more games next year.

Also, like hat said in one of the other threads, our AD trying to strongarm recruits into being forced to come to school here reflects very poorly on the university and could lead to bigger recruiting ramifications than just losing a couple players of next year's sqaud.

Why do kids who are victims of bad circumstance during coaching changes need to be taught a lesson? It's something that is completely out of their control and their time in college to prove themselves worthy of playing at a higher level is a very short window, so why not just grant some leeway in circumstances like this? It's a shame IMO that people would rather see a kid's athletic career potentially ruined than have to see their team lose a few more games next year.

Also, like hat said in one of the other threads, our AD trying to strongarm recruits into being forced to come to school here reflects very poorly on the university and could lead to bigger recruiting ramifications than just losing a couple players of next year's sqaud.

These idiots can't see that through their orange tinted glasses.

If these were UK kids trying to get out and come to UT, they would have a completely different opinion.

Stop thinking about yourself and think about if this were your kid. Ware and Jones have other options, better options, let them pursue what is now best for them.

I think thats a bad idea.

They should let him out of the LOI but only after he has met with the new staff and discussed the situation. Any attempt or complaining before then says spoiled brat.

These idiots can't see that through their orange tinted glasses.

If these were UK kids trying to get out and come to UT, they would have a completely different opinion.

Stop thinking about yourself and think about if this were your kid. Ware and Jones have other options, better options, let them pursue what is now best for them.

Good post.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It's absolutley wrong if we don't let them out of their loi's after they have had a man to man talk with their new coach. There's no way around it km this situation.

Schools already make more money off these kids than their scholarships are worth. Now these kids should pay the school money to do what's best for them?

How much did the school give Juda Parker and Eric MacLain when they were told to go away? The school was just doing what's best for them after wasting their time and getting their hopes up. Give them 80,000 to match what their scholarship would have cost.

How much did the school give Juda Parker and Eric MacLain when they were told to go away?

what documents did they sign?

and this is a terrible idea. Oversign and then act like your signed commits are free agents? Can't see that working out too well

How bout if the coach is fired or quits, the player can be allowed out of his LOI!! It's not the players fault! I'm sick of the NCAA and universities taking advantage of these kids!

Last edited:
what documents did they sign?

and this is a terrible idea. Oversign and then act like your signed commits are free agents? Can't see that working out too well

They hadn't signed anything. Point is, the school does as they want.

How can you expect a kid to keep their word when adults don't?

The athletic director and coaches are already making a boatload of money. They're just looking out for themselves(keep their jobs) while potentially ruining kids lives. These kids are just entering the world. Fun way to enter the world... If this is a business lesson, then it shouldn't be called a school. College athletes aren't professionals(they aren't even college athletes yet). May as well be if this is how the schools are going to treat them.

They hadn't signed any but the point is, the school does as they want.

How can you expect a kid to keep their word when adults don't?

The athletic director and coaches are already making a boatload of money. They're just looking out for themselves(keep their jobs) while potentially ruining kids lives. These kids are just entering the world. Fun way to enter the world... If this is a business lesson, then it shouldn't be called a school. College athletes aren't professionals. May as well be if this is how the schools are going to treat them.

so do the recruits. Until they sign the doc they are free to pick any school regardless of a verbal commitment. Letting a guy go months before the first day to sign doesn't hurt him

so do the recruits. Until they sign the doc they are free to pick any school regardless of a verbal commitment. Letting a guy go months before the first day to sign doesn't hurt him

They asked if Pearl would be the coach before they signed and they were told he would be. He's not the coach anymore and they still aren't letting them go.

I just don't agree with you at all if you think this is okay. This could potentially cost them a pro career in basketball. If they really don't want to be here, I hope they go to prep school.

From what I have read, Coach Zo wants to meet face to face with Ware and Jones. If they still want out of their LOI after that, he has said he will let them go. That seems fair to me. No need to make it an issue, yet.

They asked if Pearl would be the coach before they signed and they were told he would be. He's not the coach anymore and they still aren't letting them go.

I just don't agree with you at all if you think this is okay. This could potentially cost them a pro career in basketball. If they really don't want to be here, I hope they go to prep school.

I asked this in the other LOI thread. If they thought enough of Pearl's situation to ask MH if he was going to be here, wouldn't you as a parent take it a step further in a case this serious? If your child could be robbed of a shot at the NBA I would be more proactive.

First. Is this LOI I have signed binding? Can I get out of it if what your telling me is wrong/lie?

Second. If its binding, you either 1. don't sign, if the situation is not closed. 2. get it on paper that your clear if you do sign and hes fired.

I see both sides to the argument, and neither is as clear to me as some have posted.

that's the fault of the guy they wanted to sign with and not UT. They tried to keep him. Blame Pearl

I also don't believe they actually had to sign so soon if they really weren't sure what would happen

I didn't say it was 100% ok but I understand it. The new coach wants to meet with them before allowing the release. Perfectly acceptable IMO.

and this won't cost them an NBA career. If they're good enough they'll make it

Horrible idea.

These kids should NEVER sign a LOI. It is completely binding to the player and it gives the university all the leverage to manuver out of it if they choose.

From what I have read, Coach Zo wants to meet face to face with Ware and Jones. If they still want out of their LOI after that, he has said he will let them go. That seems fair to me. No need to make it an issue, yet.

They shouldnt have to meet the new coach if they have chosen to go elsewhere. The school should release them in this circumstance.

Overstating a bit. If they are good enough to play in the NBA, they will get their minutes and scouts will see them. It's not like UT transferred its basketball program to an NAIA conference. They will still be in the SEC and Martin is going to play the best players even if he didn't recruit them.

Can't blame a kid for wanting out after the coach that recruited him is gone.

VN Store

Back