One thing that I definitely see changing with CCM(long)

DaDuRkEr

Biggest Vols
is the sheer amount of attrition we encountered under Pearl. I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but one thing no one seems to bring up under Pearl is that we lost about as many players as we kept. Josh Tabb, Major Wingate, Tony Passley, Ramar Smiff, Tyler Smiff, Duke Crews, Daniel West, Marquis Johnson... This list seems never ending. Its a miracle we were able to even field a team half of Bruce's tenure let alone make it to multiple sweet 16's and an elite 8. Bringing in transfers and JUCO players are the only saving grace we had. Had JP Prince, Tyler Smiff, and Bobby Maze had not worked out as well as they did... we wouldn't have been a .500 ball club. Pearl did not bring in a single ace PG during his time here either, and outside of Wayne Chism(and potentially Kenny Hall) he hasn't brought in a big man that is worth a flip either.

Bruce filled up our roster with over sized wings that like to look pretty shooting from outside and left us incredibly vulnerable inside and with running the offense. The only real production we have gotten out of the 1 and 5 outside of Wayne Chism is on the defensive end of the court. Had our attrition been less severe, in getting a quality PG that wasn't a smoove criminal like Ramar and a quality, tough minded player like Duke Crews that wasn't rolling doobies instead of working on his game, we could've had much better success.

CCM doesn't seem like the type to recruit that "type" of player. I think when he referred to the 3-4 year player, he was meaning more in terms of being accountable for his players and ensuring that we don't suffer the same amount of attrition due to courting bad apples.

I think CCM is an excellent hire and will keep UT in the spotlight for many, many years. I look forward to building on the current successes we have had as a program, and provided we can hold onto Ware and Jones(which I whole heartedly believe we will) and bring in another big, we will be in position to make the dance a 7th strait season. Of course, quite a bit of that depends on Scotty and Tobais and their respective decisions about their future.

For those of you that seem to undervalue Scotty's ability at the next level...

The difference in the game will prove that Scotty is a much better NBA player than a college player. I predict a similar type of transition from college to the league as Rajon Rondo experienced, just to a lesser degree and different facets of the game. The NBA's illegal defense and extended 3 pt line make the game much more about one on one ability and Scotty has that in droves. It is when the lane is packed in and the help defense strips it when he has the majority of his issues. In the league he will be able to get by his man and either have a clean trip to the rack or an easy kick to an open man. Scotty will have a long and successful NBA career and will average 15pts or better within his first 3 years whether he comes out now or after his SR season. Flame away, but Scotty's strengths play in his advantage at the next level. He has as quick a first step as I have ever seen out of a 6'7" wing.

Go Vols!!!

Go back and look at the games he went nuts and the games he disappeared and you will see something that stands out. When there was tight man defense, he scored in droves. When teams packed it in the paint, he would turn it over. In the NBA you cannot just pack it in the paint the same way. He is not a good shooter when contested, but when open his shot is a thing of beauty. He has a good enough mid-range game too which is ever important in the league.

Scotty WILL absolutely have a better NBA career than his college career... Unless he really refines his game and figures out how to play with a little more control on those handles. Then he could have a Kemba type season, but only IF he learns how to get low and RIP, DIP, HIP as Yimmy Dykes likes to say...

Go Vols!!!

I bring up multiple points we could go back and forth on and you wanna know about Da Smiffs? LMAO... hahaha

Go back and look at the games he went nuts and the games he disappeared and you will see something that stands out. When there was tight man defense, he scored in droves. When teams packed it in the paint, he would turn it over. In the NBA you cannot just pack it in the paint the same way. He is not a good shooter when contested, but when open his shot is a thing of beauty. He has a good enough mid-range game too which is ever important in the league.

Scotty WILL absolutely have a better NBA career than his college career... Unless he really refines his game and figures out how to play with a little more control on those handles. Then he could have a Kemba type season, but only IF he learns how to get low and RIP, DIP, HIP as Yimmy Dykes likes to say...

Go Vols!!!
Jeff Taylor and DeAndre Liggins both locked Hopson up. He'll be facing defenders like that every night in the NBA.

Scotty needa to work on his jumpshot badly. Once he gets that down, he could be unstopable.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Cept when he dribbles it off his knee to an opposing player. Don't get me wrong I like Scotty, just think he needs to work on alot more before he becomes unstoppable.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have seen others attempt to make the assertion that Hopson will be a better NBA player than college player. That is a flawed logic. Driving lanes? In the NBA, Hopson will not be able to handle the ball well enough to get around hardly any NBA guards. And he does not have near the strength to finish against NBA bigs. And that is just the offensive side. If you take your point at face value, then the other side of the coin is that Hopson will have to guard NBA players in space one-on-one. That would be very ugly.

Well he already has the NBA steps down. He just has to remember to take the ball with him.

is the sheer amount of attrition we encountered under Pearl. I'm not one to beat a dead horse, but one thing no one seems to bring up under Pearl is that we lost about as many players as we kept. Josh Tabb, Major Wingate, Tony Passley, Ramar Smiff, Tyler Smiff, Duke Crews, Daniel West, Marquis Johnson... This list seems never ending. Its a miracle we were able to even field a team half of Bruce's tenure let alone make it to multiple sweet 16's and an elite 8. Bringing in transfers and JUCO players are the only saving grace we had. Had JP Prince, Tyler Smiff, and Bobby Maze had not worked out as well as they did... we wouldn't have been a .500 ball club. Pearl did not bring in a single ace PG during his time here either, and outside of Wayne Chism(and potentially Kenny Hall) he hasn't brought in a big man that is worth a flip either.

Bruce filled up our roster with over sized wings that like to look pretty shooting from outside and left us incredibly vulnerable inside and with running the offense. The only real production we have gotten out of the 1 and 5 outside of Wayne Chism is on the defensive end of the court. Had our attrition been less severe, in getting a quality PG that wasn't a smoove criminal like Ramar and a quality, tough minded player like Duke Crews that wasn't rolling doobies instead of working on his game, we could've had much better success.

CCM doesn't seem like the type to recruit that "type" of player. I think when he referred to the 3-4 year player, he was meaning more in terms of being accountable for his players and ensuring that we don't suffer the same amount of attrition due to courting bad apples.

I think CCM is an excellent hire and will keep UT in the spotlight for many, many years. I look forward to building on the current successes we have had as a program, and provided we can hold onto Ware and Jones(which I whole heartedly believe we will) and bring in another big, we will be in position to make the dance a 7th strait season. Of course, quite a bit of that depends on Scotty and Tobais and their respective decisions about their future.

For those of you that seem to undervalue Scotty's ability at the next level...

The difference in the game will prove that Scotty is a much better NBA player than a college player. I predict a similar type of transition from college to the league as Rajon Rondo experienced, just to a lesser degree and different facets of the game. The NBA's illegal defense and extended 3 pt line make the game much more about one on one ability and Scotty has that in droves. It is when the lane is packed in and the help defense strips it when he has the majority of his issues. In the league he will be able to get by his man and either have a clean trip to the rack or an easy kick to an open man. Scotty will have a long and successful NBA career and will average 15pts or better within his first 3 years whether he comes out now or after his SR season. Flame away, but Scotty's strengths play in his advantage at the next level. He has as quick a first step as I have ever seen out of a 6'7" wing.

Go Vols!!!

Yea, his ball handling and passing is much better than Rondo. He's a sure bet to be a star in the NBA.

It's not a matter of ball handling in one v one scenarios. The help defense is what usually trips him up. I am not comparing him to Rondo in style of game, only in prosperity under the league's setup. Scotty won't ever be an assist man, and I hope you understand my use of Rondo as a basis of comparison in terms of fruition and not in terms of similar style of play or style of game.

Only time will tell, but I think Scotty can be every bit the player Nick Young has turned out to be.

As far as Hat's take on Ron Artest defending Scotty... Scotty would blow by Artest like a Mclaren F1 passing a school bus. Artest would definitely lock him up if Scotty were attempting to bring him down on the block. The smaller, quicker defenders would bother him more. Artest is physical, but Scotty is so much quicker I think it would be hard for Artest to man up to him. It's a mismatch either way. Scotty's defense is extremely suspect and something that I feel a year under CCM will help tremendously for Scotty and his amitions at the next level.

Yimmy Dykes... That is another story. When we played UF and Dykes kept drawing up iso plays for Walker and kept verbally undressing him and talking about driving to the nail repeatedly... I just decided to start pronouncing his name with an impediment due to his mental ineptitude and VERY HOMO man crush on Walker.

My good friend (who is white btw) has the last name Smith, and I call him a Smiff too... Is that racist? I don't discriminate, I hate everyone

It's not a matter of ball handling in one v one scenarios. The help defense is what usually trips him up. I am not comparing him to Rondo in style of game, only in prosperity under the league's setup. Scotty won't ever be an assist man, and I hope you understand my use of Rondo as a basis of comparison in terms of fruition and not in terms of similar style of play or style of game.

Only time will tell, but I think Scotty can be every bit the player Nick Young has turned out to be.

As far as Hat's take on Ron Artest defending Scotty... Scotty would blow by Artest like a Mclaren F1 passing a school bus. Artest would definitely lock him up if Scotty were attempting to bring him down on the block. The smaller, quicker defenders would bother him more. Artest is physical, but Scotty is so much quicker I think it would be hard for Artest to man up to him. It's a mismatch either way. Scotty's defense is extremely suspect and something that I feel a year under CCM will help tremendously for Scotty and his amitions at the next level.

I agree that Scotty has NBA level talent, but has many parts of his game that he needs to work on to be successful at the next level. Another year with this coach could possibly do wonders for him.

VN Store

Back