My 1 cent worth on the New Coach

Bvols48

I just had the time to watch the news conference with Coach Martin. First thoughts; I was really impressed with the way he carries himself and the way he talks about the way he wants his team to act and conduct themselves. With what he has been through in his life will build a very strong person. I hope he can pass this along to the young men he has and will recurit in the future. As for how the team progresses under him as a coach I will reserve judgement until after the next season! As of now the Vols seem to have two very high quality individuals for their football and basketball coaches.

Agree. He might have appeared a little bit timid in the presser but I don't think that is the case. Anyone would get the willys put in a situation like that, new environment, big time school, etc. Seems like a rock solid guy to me and I don't think he will be satisfied to lose and see folks slack off. I think he will demand a lot from his guys and get a lot from them.

I just had the time to watch the news conference with Coach Martin. First thoughts; I was really impressed with the way he carries himself and the way he talks about the way he wants his team to act and conduct themselves. With what he has been through in his life will build a very strong person. I hope he can pass this along to the young men he has and will recurit in the future. As for how the team progresses under him as a coach I will reserve judgement until after the next season! As of now the Vols seem to have two very high quality individuals for their football and basketball coaches.

My two cents are worth double that.

how dumb are the young people of today when we have our football coach teaching them how to shower and brush their teeth. while the basketball coach is talking about the same things, did i miss something? aren't you supposed to learn this stuff when your a kid? are the kids of today so lacking in the parent department, they don't even have someone there to teach them these things? wow!!!!

Correct. Good post.
Personally, I think that the proverbial "X-Factor" is mental toughness, something that they were missing this season. Zo, I believe, will be able to inject it into them.

Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't care what he looks like in the Presser. Run a clean program and WIN. He's first game is wither Harris and Hopson will stay. WIN.

I don't care what he looks like in the Presser. Run a clean program and WIN. He's first game is wither Harris and Hopson will stay. WIN.

I don't know if Pearl would have been able to keep these two at this point, so I'm not going to fault Cuonzo if they leave.

I don't know if Pearl would have been able to keep these two at this point, so I'm not going to fault Cuonzo if they leave.

It is no question. Pearl would have went right back to winning. He was working on an awesome class. A down year is a down year. Historically Pearl is a winner. Every great coach has them.

Coach Martin will be a great role model to his players. Missouri State players said he was a Father Figure to them.. Coach Pearl was kinda of like the Crazy Uncle your Mom didn't want you to mention around your Dad.....

Coach Martin will be a great role model to his players. Missouri State players said he was a Father Figure to them.. Coach Pearl was kinda of like the Crazy Uncle your Mom didn't want you to mention around your Dad.....

Plus he's colored!

Plus he's colored!
You probably won't see him in orange body paint, but you will see him with a ladder and scissors at the SEC ch game in a couple of years.
Took a bad team from last to first in 3 years.
And before you throw the conference card, take a look at the final 4 this year.
Not an easy task anywhere now days.
The guy WINS!!

He had a good Presser. Now lets see if he can recruit.

I doubt that was a true measure of his personality since he said he'd had about 6hrs of sleep in 3 days. I'll give him a pass but I don't expect him to rip off his shirt anytime soon

A man, a coach, a role model with morals should make Vols a winner. Not color. fmfvfl

I don't care if he's the Pope - if he can't recruit his ability to be a role model with high morals is moot. " See Bill Battle " if you want an example. He was a wonderful person, wanted only high character guys, no facial hair, no long hair, clean cut, etc.

Managed to take consistently 11 -1, 10-2 teams and transformed them to 7 and 5 teams.

He can recruit. He had 3 & 4 star(see Otto Porter) players either interested or coming to MO State. I cant recall the last time MO State had a 3 star or above considering them. I have been following MO State since Steve Alford. Hopefully Martin can bring Kent Williams with him as an assistant. Williams has a bright future. The kid was a stud for SIU.

He can recruit. He had 3 & 4 star(see Otto Porter) players either interested or coming to MO State. I cant recall the last time MO State had a 3 star or above considering them. I have been following MO State since Steve Alford. Hopefully Martin can bring Kent Williams with him as an assistant. Williams has a bright future. The kid was a stud for SIU.

You have to do more than have them consider, show interest, or kick the tires you have to get them on the dotted line. Not a lot of basketball talent produced in East Tennessee so great recruiting skills are tremendously important.

CM had one 3 star already commit and Porter waiting in the wings. CM is close to the Porter family. Otto's cousin Michael played for CM @ Mo State. Michael had a car wreck while @ Mo State and had to transfer to SE MO to be closer to home for rehab. I'm sure during that time Martin was in touch with the Porter's every day. The Porter's are a close knit family. I wouldn't be surprised if Otto was secretly hoping CM would get a big time job and join him.

CM had one 3 star already commit and Porter waiting in the wings. CM is close to the Porter family. Otto's cousin Michael played for CM @ Mo State. Michael had a car wreck while @ Mo State and had to transfer to SE MO to be closer to home for rehab. I'm sure during that time Martin was in touch with the Porter's every day. The Porter's are a close knit family. I wouldn't be surprised if Otto was secretly hoping CM would get a big time job and join him.

One or two really talented recruits annually can make a huge difference to your success or failure. CBP had a pretty good pipeline and hopefully CM can develop some as well.

Whether he can draw the two already committed back into the fold will tell a lot about his ability to recruit imo.

If you can't re-recruit 2 that had already committed ......
particulary at positions of need with immediate playing time available -- then something is wrong.

I believe he will be a good coach, but to form an opinion on any coach in a press conference is crazy. I don't care who they are, we get a lot of coach speak and cliches. "We want to get better", "We want to be successful", "go to the next level", " we are going after good character guys", on and on. I am not knocking CM, but what do we expect him to say? Dooley steps outside the box some, but you hear the same thing from all of them in all sports.

VN Store

Back