Anyone remember the type of recruits Coach Martin said he wanted?

lylsmorr

Great players that have substance and high level of character. Not just a ball player, a well rounded young man. 3-4 year guys that he can build teams around. It sounded like he was describing Tobias, to me. Hope he can bring him back.

Yeah that pertains more to Scotty. He had NBA talent but still needs a fourth year to make it in the draft. Tobias will be back because his draft stock will be late first round and would benefit with one more year of any offensive system. We had a horrid halfcourt offense and Tobias struggled against inferior talent.

Tobias hardly ever struggled, the fact was that he never got the ball enough later in games.

He was very soft at times and struggled on the defensive end. He also had trouble finishing during his bad stretch.

Had trouble finishing or he never got the damn ball? I remember the latter and it was frustrating.

Great players that have substance and high level of character. Not just a ball player, a well rounded young man. 3-4 year guys that he can build teams around. It sounded like he was describing Tobias, to me. Hope he can bring him back.

All Tobias cares about is making the NBA IMO.. He won't leave tn with a degree. Hope he proves me wrong.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

All Tobias cares about is making the NBA IMO.. He won't leave tn with a degree. Hope he proves me wrong.

If that was the case, why did he come to Tennessee? Pearl has put how many players in the NBA?

FWIW, name one coach who's stated goal is to bring on low character guys who lack substance and have talent.

Reading overly into PR speak imo.

If Tobias chooses to jump ship at this stage he is not, nor ever was the type of student athlete Coach Zo wants on his team. I have always seen him as a hired gun that would bolt at the first good opportunity to go pro. Let's be honest though, Tobias is ahead of Scotty, but only to the extent of being chosen by a higher class team in Europe. He has more upside than Scotty as a 3 in the NBA but the dude is soft inside and an average college defender at best. He can only dribble drive with his right hand. He's got some work ahead of him. Maybe the NBA takes a chance on developing him, but he is not a Day 1 contributor.

we knew exactly what we were getting. If he's one and done and gets paid, more power to him.

Please tell me the difference between Tobias leaving to better himself in the NBA, and Cuonzo leaving Missouri State to better himself here?

Would you idiots lay off Tobias? If he's good enough for the NBA, be happy for the kid. Have some class, like your boy Cuonzo would want. That's what it's all about now, right? High-character?

And to the OP, quit being a vagina. How about he just land one recruit before he starts fielding the first team that dominates on the court as well as has zero blemishes in life. Why don't we work on a viable rotation before we turn Captain Planet?

Last edited:
If a program has an opportunity to sign a top 25 rated player, it would insane not to do so.

If Tobias Harris is deemed ready for the NBA and his family is fine with the projected draft slot, more power to him. I think that he was a little gimped up this season with a bad ankle but man the kid has skills.

Scotty Hopson was around the #9 rated kid coming out of high school. He appears to not be ready for the NBA. May never be, who knows. But if he and his family hears what they believe to be good information from the NBA evaluation then more power to him. I do think that with his quickness and length that Coach Martin is just the guy to teach and force him to really learn to play defense if he chooses to stay. That would make him much more attractive to a pro team even if it is not the NBA.

I do think that for the most part that UT will attract mostly kids that need to be here 3 years or so, at least in the beginning. Coach Martin now has a better product to sell at UT than in his previous stop. People are all different so he may make connections with families and kids that Pearl did not, and vice versa.

I do think that he needs to get into the AAU process very quickly and sadly that is a quagmire. For some who have criticized Pearl for having so much time invested with the big time Georgia AAU team.....it is pretty much the foot in the door to getting a pipeline of players. Many of the individual high school coaches have had to take a back seat in the recruiting process.

Last edited:
Is it bad that I would rather have the most talented players?

My thots too. Thot @ when CCM said that yesterday. I'm looking @ UK with another set of one and dones that is in the final 4. I'm not convinced the 4 yr guy is the way to win titles here.

Just a thot, but I like the hire.

He didn't say he wanted zero one and done players. He said the 3 and 4 year guys are who you build around.

Just putting this out there and going by what coach said in his presser...CCM has already spoken on the phone with Jones and Ware and says he will have a face-to-face sit down after the Final Four...What happens if CCM just doesn't like the two kids ??...Everyone is taking the angle of how the kids feel...

He might not leave for the NBA with a degree, but I will bet you any amount he comes back to finish. I am pretty sure his parents, especially his Mom, want him to complete his degree at some point.

If a program has an opportunity to sign a top 25 rated player, it would insane not to do so.

If Tobias Harris is deemed ready for the NBA and his family is fine with the projected draft slot, more power to him. I think that he was a little gimped up this season with a bad ankle but man the kid has skills.

Scotty Hopson was around the #9 rated kid coming out of high school. He appears to not be ready for the NBA. May never be, who knows. But if he and his family hears what they believe to be good information from the NBA evaluation then more power to him. I do think that with his quickness and length that Coach Martin is just the guy to teach and force him to really learn to play defense if he chooses to stay. That would make him much more attractive to a pro team even if it is not the NBA.

I do think that for the most part that UT will attract mostly kids that need to be here 3 years or so, at least in the beginning. Coach Martin now has a better product to sell at UT than in his previous stop. People are all different so he may make connections with families and kids that Pearl did not, and vice versa.

I do think that he needs to get into the AAU process very quickly and sadly that is a quagmire. For some who have criticized Pearl for having so much time invested with the big time Georgia AAU team.....it is pretty much the foot in the door to getting a pipeline of players. Many of the individual high school coaches have had to take a back seat in the recruiting process.

IMO, Hopson will never play in an NBA game. He is a good college player, but I do not see his game transfering to that level. He does not finish his drives to the lane/basket with any consistency. 2 guards have to be able to do that in the NBA. He will follow the path of many other Vols overseas.

Also IMO, Harris might play in the NBA, but his body is not ready for the NBA at this point. He needs to kill it in the weight room.

The bottom line is that neither one of these guys is projected as high draft picks right now. Jumping the gun would be a huge mistake. If you are not a lottery pick, you are better off playing another year in college.

Scotty has the physical talent, but needs to toughen mentally and not have so many highs and lows. Maybe the new coach can help him in this regard.

VN Store

Back