Jarnell Stokes Question

jhunter11

I dont know much about him but was he high on us befoe Pearl was fired.And has he said anything about Coach Martin and does this hurt our chances.Thanks.:)

He's best friends with Cam Clear and his brother goes to UT. He's the best Memphis kid we've had a good shot with in a very long time.

Stokes is all but a lock barring a very serious screw up. I just don't see Martin making that error.

Stokes is all but a lock barring a very serious screw up. I just don't see Martin making that error.

You may be right. As a Memphis fan, this has been one of the only few Memphis players that I've felt that may come to you all. Cameron Clear's relationship with Stokes does help you all and maybe Martin may be able to accomplish something that Pearl never done in his 6 years in Knoxville, get a player to sign a LOI from Memphis.

You may be right. As a Memphis fan, this has been one of the only few Memphis players that I've felt that may come to you all. Cameron Clear's relationship with Stokes does help you all and maybe Martin may be able to accomplish something that Pearl never done in his 6 years in Knoxville, get a player to sign a LOI from Memphis.

Chris Jones? Although that may change soon.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Chris Jones? Although that may change soon.

I'm talking about Jarnell Stokes.

There is something about Jarnell and UT in the Weekly Whispers on Rivals. If anybody can tell us what it says it will be appreciated. Thanks SIAP.

There is something about Jarnell and UT in the Weekly Whispers on Rivals. If anybody can tell us what it says it will be appreciated. Thanks SIAP.

Stokes Rival Article

If there's ever a question about a Memphis recruit, I'd check out this site.

Anyway, looks like his stock is rising and we're losing ground, which was to be expected with the coaching change. However, I think Cuonzo still has a head start on this kid compared to others.

Jarnell Stokes (Memphis, Tenn./Memphis Central) isn't committed to Tennessee, but before Bruce Pearl was fired the 2012 power forward recruit was heavily leaning toward the Vols.

Now, according to Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com, that could be changing. The UT coaching change, coupled with major interest from a number of high profile programs like hometown Memphis as well as Duke and Arkansas -- among others -- has Stokes considering other options.

"I was really high on Tennessee before they fired Coach Pearl," Stokes told Rivals.com. "I liked the way Tobias Harris was playing there."

Memphis might be the biggest threat to the Vols, being right in Stokes' backyard with savvy recruiter Josh Pastner running the show for the Tigers. This will be one recruiting story we'll keep an eye on in weeks and months ahead.

I would venture to say that the product we put on the court next season is going to have a tad bit to do with his interest level in us. Him and Poythress should be our main targets for the next class along with Jordan Adams and that relentless persuit of another BIG!!! Having Cam Clear on campus and his brother being enrolled at UT should definitely help our chances and give us a head start, but if I were in his shoes... I would want to see our style of play and the way we compete as a team before making any "firm" decisions on interest level.

Go Vols!!!

If Pastner doesn't start winning with this elite talent he is bringing in in dominating fashion, that will only help UT in its never ending pursuit of recruiting Memphis players. I think Pastner will continue to have sub-par seasons considering the talent he has assembled, and that will have the 2012 class and beyond looking more and more at leaving home.

I saw where Easterwood has said on Tiger boards recently that Memphis has got back in with Stokes since Pearl was fired.

It seemed like Memphis had kind of really conceded Stokes to UT before Pearl was fired and was focusing on Poythress. Since then, they have tried to get back in on Stokes as well. Typically, I would think that TN would be better suited putting the press on Poythress because the Memphis kids tend to buckle to the pressure to stay in Memphis. With this one though, I somehow feel like Stokes could still be the more likely one to get of the two.

Something else Easterwood said struck me as interesting. His opinion (and I got the feeling it might have been formed off info from other college coaches) was that Stokes was the most NBA ready kid to come out of Memphis is some time.

His brother and best friend being at UT is going to be big. If he likes Martin, which I think most evidence supports that he will, then UT has a great shot.

Lock this kid up! He and Poythress will make or break our recruiting class for next season IMO. I don't see any way we hold on to TH for any more than one more season barring an injury and we will have an immediate need for starter minutes at the 4 and most likely the 5 as well.

There's an ESPN Insider article (which I don't have access to) entitled "Can Tennessee hold on to Stokes: The Vols may no longer be the heavy favorites to land one of 2012's best."

Unfortunately, Stokes, Adams and Poythress all are likely to sign before having a chance to see the product Tennessee puts on the floor next season.

I would venture to say that the product we put on the court next season is going to have a tad bit to do with his interest level in us. Him and Poythress should be our main targets for the next class along with Jordan Adams and that relentless persuit of another BIG!!! Having Cam Clear on campus and his brother being enrolled at UT should definitely help our chances and give us a head start, but if I were in his shoes... I would want to see our style of play and the way we compete as a team before making any "firm" decisions on interest level.

Go Vols!!!

His brother and best friend being at UT is going to be big. If he likes Martin, which I think most evidence supports that he will, then UT has a great shot.

Yup hopefully his bro and Cam Clear will be big for us.

VN Store

Back