Thought on The Transition to A New System

LawVol13

Cuonzo Martin has a chance to do well here early. He has a roster full of kids that weren't suited to play Pearl's system. However, it's a roster that's perfectly suited to play in Martin's. The chance will be there for early success especially if he can convince some guys to stay with the Vols.

Cuonzo Martin has a chance to do well here early. He has a roster full of kids that weren't suited to play Pearl's system. However, it's a roster that's perfectly suited to play in Martin's. The chance will be there for early success especially if he can convince some guys to stay with the Vols.

Sounds kinda like Bruce when he got here. While we didn't have superior talent, Watson, Lofton, Smith, etc... were all suited for an up-tempo offense.

I hope Tobias realizes that putting himself in a solid halfcourt offense will be worth more than dribbling down the court after a rebound and passing to a PG.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I hope Tobias realizes that putting himself in a solid halfcourt offense will be worth more than dribbling down the court after a rebound and passing to a PG.

I think he will. I also think he will be doing those things with the Celtics.

I don't think we have the shooters or post players yet for his system. I think we are kind of in between Pearls system and Martins at this point. Pearl started recruiting differently ever since we got torched by Louisville in the tourney about 3 years ago. They were long and had range and he seemed to go that way since it exposed a weakness in our smaller, quicker lineup. Mixed results since. Identity issues.

I don't think we have the shooters or post players yet for his system. I think we are kind of in between Pearls system and Martins at this point. Pearl started recruiting differently ever since we got torched by Louisville in the tourney about 3 years ago. They were long and had range and he seemed to go that way since it exposed a weakness in our smaller, quicker lineup. Mixed results since. Identity issues.

Our roster would be very, very dangerous with a good motion offense. We'd shoot a significantly higher percentage from three if we'd actually take good shots. By all accounts, Martin's offense gets good shots.

Our roster would be very, very dangerous with a good motion offense. We'd shoot a significantly higher percentage from three if we'd actually take good shots. By all accounts, Martin's offense gets good shots.

Assuming our inside game is there. You are probably correct. I think he runs a good offense, I just don't want to live and die by the three. Need all the pieces.

Assuming our inside game is there. You are probably correct. I think he runs a good offense, I just don't want to live and die by the three. Need all the pieces.

Agreed. A good motion offense won't do that. Hopefully, that's what we'll see.

I agree. Been doing homework on Missouri State and Martin. Even though I've been down on him, my pissed-offness, so to speak, can't change the fact he's our coach now. So yup! Lets see what the guy can do.

I don't think it matters until somebody learns how to play pg

Trae Golden will look much better in a motion offense than he did in the stand and pass the ball back and forth from 40 feet offense.

Trae Golden will look much better in a motion offense than he did in the stand and pass the ball back and forth from 40 feet offense.

It could be worse? I hear you though. He was thinking too much, among other issues with his horrid release. More motion=less thinking=better instincts

It could be worse? I hear you though. He was thinking too much, among other issues with his horrid release. More motion=less thinking=better instincts

A motion offense, when you get good at it, lets you play using your natural basketball instincts. I'm not trying to pile on Pearl, but his offense never, ever did that. It made them like robots. Golden has potential.

A motion offense, when you get good at it, lets you play using your natural basketball instincts. I'm not trying to pile on Pearl, but his offense never, ever did that. It made them like robots. Golden has potential.

I agree 100% that players played robotic, especially this past year. I also think that a player has to step up and still play basketball.

You really don't know anything at all about basketball do you? You can either shoot or you can't. If you can't the only solution is to go into the gym and and learn. Like Lofton did. Some people have a natural ability, but its still mostly practice, practice, practice in order to be excellent. Then again there are those who will never be excellent shooters, no matter how hard they practice.

You really don't know anything at all about basketball do you? You can either shoot or you can't. If you can't the only solution is to go into the gym and and learn. Like Lofton did. Some people have a natural ability, but its still mostly practice, practice, practice in order to be excellent. Then again there are those who will never be excellent shooters, no matter how hard they practice.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you. Head on back to the Pearl shrine.

Shooting % goes up pretty good when players are open for shots. Some offenses have more opportunities for open 3's by drawing the D in and kicking out. I hate when people show arrogance on here because it tends to bring it out in me. That's basketball 101, which went over your head, until I translated for you. Please don't challenge anyone else's basketball knowledge.

I agree. Been doing homework on Missouri State and Martin. Even though I've been down on him, my pissed-offness, so to speak, can't change the fact he's our coach now. So yup! Lets see what the guy can do.

So yup we don't have a choice, do we? Top notch coaches are rare. The odds are very high that he will be a bust. Thats true of any coach you hire who has no resume. In my opinion it is unbelievably stupid to spend multi-millions on buildings and just refuse to hire a qualified coach. Hiring someone unqualified and just hoping you'll get lucky and get a good result does not usually work out as we who have been attending UT games for the past 40 years have learned through bitter experience.

It's going to be fun watching us start our sets with more that 10 seconds remaining on the shot clock.

So yup we don't have a choice, do we? Top notch coaches are rare. The odds are very high that he will be a bust. Thats true of any coach you hire who has no resume. In my opinion it is unbelievably stupid to spend multi-millions on buildings and just refuse to hire a qualified coach. Hiring someone unqualified and just hoping you'll get lucky and get a good result does not usually work out as we who have been attending UT games for the past 40 years have learned through bitter experience.

Maybe you ought to just stick to kissing Pearl's ass. You're much better at that than trying to formulate a rational thought.

VN Store

Back