Is Mike Hamilton the greatest AD of all time?

oregonvol

I mean, I don't know of anyone else who can hire both a football coach and a basketball coach, and manage to please both diehard Vol fans as well as the fans of all their rivals.

I don't know about you, but personally, I can't wait to see what this guy does next.

Force Pat Summitt into early retirement, so he can hire the fat girl from Facts of Life?

Try to buy Kentucky out of the annual football match-up so Dooley can keep the streak alive?

Track down Fulmer and give him a few more million for his retirement?

Who can say? The only thing that's certain, is that most of this board will get behind him.

I mean, I don't know of anyone else who can hire both a football coach and a basketball coach, and manage to please both diehard Vol fans as well as the fans of all their rivals.

I don't know about you, but personally, I can't wait to see what this guy does next.

Force Pat Summitt into early retirement, so he can hire the fat girl from Facts of Life?

Try to buy Kentucky out of the annual football match-up so Dooley can keep the streak alive?

Who can say? The only thing that's certain, is that most of this board will get behind him.

Stop it:eek:lol:

If the fat girl from Facts of Life coached the Lady Vols, I might be compelled to willingly watch my first 30 seconds or so of a women's basketball game.

I don't think anyone will have to buy out the KY game to keep that streak alive...

Moore slightly gets the edge strictly because of Saban. that negates all of his previous coaching blunders(Got Shula?)

I disagree. The NCAA issues that occurred under his watch were far worse than anything Hamilton dealt with. His track record for hiring coaches was worse than Hamilton's before he got Saban as well. It's not like hiring Saban took any special ability to evaluate talent.

Nothing says "we've got a great AD" like knowing the fans of all our rivals are happy. That's what turned me off even more to DD after my initial shock at the hire. Alabama and UF fans giving your football hire their stamp of approval is like a kiss of death.

I disagree. The NCAA issues that occurred under his watch were far worse than anything Hamilton dealt with. His track record for hiring coaches was worse than Hamilton's before he got Saban as well. It's not like hiring Saban took any special ability to evaluate talent.

Nope, just took an AD with a set of stones that doesn't get scared at hearing the word no. Think he heard it 3-4 times before he got it in place. Worked out for him.

Nothing says "we've got a great AD" like knowing the fans of all our rivals are happy. That's what turned me off even more to DD after my initial shock at the hire. Alabama and UF fans giving your football hire their stamp of approval is like a kiss of death.

so no UT fans thought bama did well hiring Saban?

No, but it did take opening the checkbook to a level that MH has proven he's too cheap to do. In his opinion it's better to have a crappy coach and thus an awful team for the sake of saving a little money on the front end. How he can't grasp that the added revenue generated by fielding a winner will more than cover the added cost of hiring decent coaches still blows my mind.

so no UT fans thought bama did well hiring Saban?

Everyone did. We all knew Alabama was going to be a force to be reckoned with under him. I haven't heard anyone here say "I'm glad Alabama got Nick Saban as their coach." The same can't be said for our rivals opinion of Dooley.

Everyone did. We all knew Alabama was going to be a force to be reckoned with under him. I haven't heard anyone here say "I'm glad Alabama got Nick Saban as their coach." The same can't be said for our rivals opinion of Dooley.

I've seen some legit people say that we made a good hire and am glad the last guy is gone. I've yet to say anyone other than a troll say when you're implying

No, but it did take opening the checkbook to a level that MH has proven he's too cheap to do. In his opinion it's better to have a crappy coach and thus an awful team for the sake of saving a little money on the front end. How he can't grasp that the added revenue generated by fielding a winner will more than cover the added cost of hiring decent coaches still blows my mind.

Hiring Saban had much more to do with luck than anything.

I've seen some legit people say that we made a good hire and am glad the last guy is gone. I've yet to say anyone other than a troll say when you're implying

If I were a fan of other teams in the SEC, I'd have been glad LK was gone too. With the knowledge everyone had at the time, the rest of the conference had reason to fear UT in upcoming years. He was going to continue recruiting the best players in the nation and UT was well on it's way to being a contender again. Knowing what we all know now, I can say myself along with most other UT fans are also glad he got out of town before he destroyed us with violations.

Now, of course all the fans of other teams love Dooley. We'll never be a threat to the top teams as long as he's here. So of course fans from other schools like to talk about what a smart and classy guy he is. It's tough to say anything bad about a coach that you use as your whipping post every year.

Hiring Saban had much more to do with luck than anything.

There was certainly a considerable element of luck involved in Bama getting him. But to a certain extent, a good AD makes his own luck. Everyone knew that Alabama wasn't going to let money be an obstacle to hiring Saban. On the other had, everyone now knows that UT is going to try and hire coaches on the cheap. We pay $2M for a football coach, and will get $2M worth of results. It's that simple. Until we have an AD that is willing to pay market value for a coach that wins, we'll continue to hold down our spot in the lower half of the conference.

There was certainly a considerable element of luck involved in Bama getting him. But to a certain extent, a good AD makes his own luck. Everyone knew that Alabama wasn't going to let money be an obstacle to hiring Saban. On the other had, everyone now knows that UT is going to try and hire coaches on the cheap. We pay $2M for a football coach, and will get $2M worth of results. It's that simple. Until we have an AD that is willing to pay market value for a coach that wins, we'll continue to hold down our spot in the lower half of the conference.
I don't buy that. To get a coach that wins, usually you'll have to pay more than market value. I think Hamilton would have taken Saban if he had the chance. It's just that you rarely get an opportunity like that.

Just $5 mil. a season.

With all the NCAA issues they have under Moore's watch it does make Hammy look that much better.

VN Store

Back