CCM on the Purdue job...

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Cuonzo Martin said he "definitely" knew Purdue job might be open soon: "I love Purdue and always will ... but now I'm a Tennessee Vol."

Wow, that says something in my mind.

Says something to me, too. He had a definite opportunity now, rather than a potential opportunity. What did you expect?

"Tennessee is great and all, but I'd really rather be at purdue. I just couldn't wait around for what I was being paid."
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Dream jobs are dream jobs, we will see when the Purdue job opens up in a few years

I'm okay with this hire...but if CCM bolts for Purdue within the next three years, I'll bring a truck load of mattresses to the Hill.

He hasn't been here a day and is already bolting to Purdue. Ya'll can't be positive for 60 seconds....except for the OP'r.

Says something to me, too. He had a definite opportunity now, rather than a potential opportunity. What did you expect?

"Tennessee is great and all, but I'd really rather be at purdue. I just couldn't wait around for what I was being paid."

That's not what I got from it.

With the fickle fan base here, I wouldn't fault anyone for bolting for another job after a few....

Add: How about less complaining and more support?

Cuonzo Martin said he "definitely" knew Purdue job might be open soon: "I love Purdue and always will ... but now I'm a Tennessee Vol."

Good Lord...you people reach for anything to feel good inside. What the hell did you expect him to say?

Despite the great tradition there are limits at Purdue as to how well you can recruit. Which is why Painter would consider another job. Somewhat like Northwestern, entrance requirements are a little tougher and facilities not as nice (Vanderbilt). The other major issue is the recent success of Butler and the long term tradition of IU. They are third on the list now in that state.

Coach Zo will have the opportunity to go against coaches Cal, Donovan, Stallings, Grant, etc. in the SEC. That compares well with Izzo, Matta, etc. in the Big 10. He will have no facilities and fan support issues with us if he gives us a winning program. I don't see him leaving for another college job and he probably got the NBA out of his system over a dozen years ago.

Why in the world does anyone see an imminent opening at Purdue? Matt Painter is there a minimum of 8 years IMO, and that is when HE makes the decision to move on. His seat is about as cool as they come

With the fickle fan base here, I wouldn't fault anyone for bolting for another job after a few....

Add: How about less complaining and more support?

That would be too easy for the goones around here.

Why in the world does anyone see an imminent opening at Purdue? Matt Painter is there a minimum of 8 years IMO, and that is when HE makes the decision to move on. His seat is about as cool as they come

Painter believes he deserves more money and the Purdue AD laughed at him.

It really speaks to his commitment to our program.

Despite the great tradition there are limits at Purdue as to how well you can recruit. Which is why Painter would consider another job. Somewhat like Northwestern, entrance requirements are a little tougher and facilities not as nice (Vanderbilt). The other major issue is the recent success of Butler and the long term tradition of IU. They are third on the list now in that state.

Coach Zo will have the opportunity to go against coaches Cal, Donovan, Stallings, Grant, etc. in the SEC. That compares well with Izzo, Matta, etc. in the Big 10. He will have no facilities and fan support issues with us if he gives us a winning program. I don't see him leaving for another college job and he probably got the NBA out of his system over a dozen years ago.
Painter is considering leaving because he believes that Purdue is not putting it's best foot forward to win championships. Painter is upset that Purdue has not agreed with Painter's request to increase the assistant coaches' salaries. I understand that they are not up to Big Ten standards. He is also upset that Purdue is not putting money towards refurbishing their facilities. Otherwise, Painter would likely stay, no matter how much money he was paid.

Yeah there is nothing more Painter would love than to be the coach at Purdue for the next 30 years but he's very upset at the reasons Tux stated above. I still would be SHOCKED if he left Purdue but these days you never know anymore.

Rumor around my neck of the woods (Missouri) is that Painter is very close to becoming the next coach at Mizzou, mostly due to issues at Purdue such as assistant coaches pay and such. Or, he may be playing Mizzou to get what he wants at Purdue. :) Either way, since Martin has said that he and Painter talk almost daily, I would assume that CM knows what the status at Purdue is and either knows that it is A) not available or B) not such a plum.

Yeah Martin and Painter are very close so that kinda makes me think Painter isn't going anywhere either or he would have waited for the Purdue job.

Reporting Painter may take Mizzo job very soon.....Martin should be kicking himself.

Anyone know if he can back out....does he have a 72 hour free pass?

Reporting Painter may take Mizzo job very soon.....Martin should be kicking himself.

Anyone know if he can back out....does he have a 72 hour free pass?

Mabe he thinks he can succeed at Tennessee more than Purdue? I mean, how bad are things over there when an alumni leaves on his own free power?

Painter is considering leaving because he believes that Purdue is not putting it's best foot forward to win championships. Painter is upset that Purdue has not agreed with Painter's request to increase the assistant coaches' salaries. I understand that they are not up to Big Ten standards. He is also upset that Purdue is not putting money towards refurbishing their facilities. Otherwise, Painter would likely stay, no matter how much money he was paid.
I can stand on my front porch and see Purdue's campus. I don't know much about the assistants pay, but I can tell you they are upgrading their facilities and they are soon to be one of the best in the Big 10-12.

VN Store

Back