Coach Martin & Memphis Recruiting

tigervol9802

Can he make a recruiting dent in the city?

Should he bring someone on staff w/connections specifically from the city?

Should he even make a great effort to recruit there or focus elsewhere?

Discuss.

Obviously Memphis has to be on his radar......but I believe that his ties in St. Louis and Chicago may play an even bigger role.

Discuss.

Memphis has to be a recruiting focus for UT basketball. Period.

I don't think he needs to bring someone with him that has specific connections with the city. That can be accomplished with time.

Given Zo's demeanor, history, and rapport, I think he will be a big hit with families and players in Memphisl.

Discuss.

Dane Bradshaw as a graduate assistant, has ties to Memphis...

I have always felt that you typically know pretty early on what your chances are with Memphis kids. IMO, Pearl spent too much time recruiting some Memphis kids that he really had no shot of getting.

I'm sure he'll spend some time recruiting in Memphis. On the other hand, he can sign players from Timbuktu for all I care, as long as they can win games in the SEC.

Every time Tennessee hires a new coach, people scream that he needs to recruit Memphis. Every time, he fails. Unless Memphis and Arkansas are both in the tank, which with Mike Anderson in Fayettenam is fantasy, UT can forget being a major player there.

Every time Tennessee hires a new coach, people scream that he needs to recruit Memphis. Every time, he fails. Unless Memphis and Arkansas are both in the tank, which with Mike Anderson in Fayettenam is fantasy, UT can forget being a major player there.

I tend to agree with your assessment here.

But do you even attempt to try?

He already has ties in St.Louis and Chicago. Which is great. If he gets into the ATL. We will be good to go.

Memphis, Chicago, and St. Louis are the big three. Zo can throw in any other areas he pleases...

I briefly touched base on this topic yesterday and after discussions with a few old Memphis friends I came to the, hard to believe, conclusion that hiring an African American coach will open a couple of more doors to UT, specifically in a city like Memphis. It's already had a small effect in regards to the perception of the Hill by some and UT will be added to some recruiting lists by players because of CCM. I don't know how that turned into a racists base thread, but you guys know how the dramatics flow on here.

I completely agree. We end up spending too much time or get the second tier players. If we continue working on GA/IN/IL, we will be fine.

You can't solely focus on Memphis. We've never had a stranglehold on it, and we never will. We'll continue to get the occasional player out of there that we have in the past, imo.

VN Store

Back