Martin Was Recommended By Houston and Grunfeld

Tux

According to 104.5 The Zone, Allan Houston and Ernie Grunfeld played a major role in recommending UT hire Cuonzo Martin.

Some may be surprised that Ernie jumped back to help UT after parting ways with Bruce Pearl.

We hired a very good basketball coach folks.

Well, Grunfeld said to go after Pearl. Hopefully he's right again.

It could have been worse. We could have hired Rick Byrd.

Ok, this hire maybe a great one in the end, but to sit here and act like Martin is somehow a better coach than Byrd is right now, is just absurd. I'm good with Martin being our coach, but don't sit here and try and trash a coach who has won 600 games in his career. Most coaches never get that far.

Ok, this hire maybe a great one in the end, but to sit here and act like Martin is somehow a better coach than Byrd is right now, is just absurd. I'm good with Martin being our coach, but don't sit here and try and trash a coach who has won 600 games in his career. Most coaches never get that far.

Didn't see him trash him? And I think most schools would rather have Martin than Byrd.

I'm just glad that we invested all that money with the consulting firm to aid in our search only to get the advice of Houston. Up and coming mid major coaches are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Martin, but did we need to spend that money on hiring a lesser known coaching candidate? Seems like a waste to me.

Also, UT being a state university, does anyone know how the payment for the consulting firm was funded? Privately through boosters, or through the athletic department?

Didn't see him trash him? And I think most schools would rather have Martin than Byrd.

Did you even read his post then??

It could have been worse. We could have hired Rick Byrd.

Yeah, that's pretty much saying a guy with 3 years head coaching experience is better than a guy who has won 600 games, out of the 900 or so he has coached.

I'm just glad that we invested all that money with the consulting firm to aid in our search only to get the advice of Houston. Up and coming mid major coaches are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Martin, but did we need to spend that money on hiring a lesser known coaching candidate? Seems like a waste to me.

Also, UT being a state university, does anyone know how the payment for the consulting firm was funded? Privately through boosters, or through the athletic department?

they got input on Pearl's hire as well. The search firm wasn't there to recommend the best fit for UT basketball

and what does being a state univ have to do with it?

Did you even read his post then??

Yeah, that's pretty much saying a guy with 3 years head coaching experience is better than a guy who has won 600 games, out of the 900 or so he has coached.

Didn't see him trash his coaching? However, surely you don't even believe Byrd would've been a good fit here.

I believe ernie also said to hire some guy named jay back in the day too.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think some guy named Bill also.

Random thought: If we ever fire Hamilton, I sincerely believe Ernie Grunfeld would make an excellent AD.

they got input on Pearl's hire as well. The search firm wasn't there to recommend the best fit for UT basketball

and what does being a state univ have to do with it?

If he would have a general understanding of how search committees work it would be great.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Either way it doesn't matter. The AD is self-sufficient and thus uses no state money.

Didn't see him trash his coaching? However, surely you don't even believe Byrd would've been a good fit here.

Why does it matter about fit?? It matters more about winning, right?? If he wins, who cares, and he's pretty much shown he can do that over the years.

Pearl won't.

I've consistently said he wouldn't have a prayer of making it in a BCS League. I would venture to say that the vast, vast majority of BCS League schools would take Martin 10 times out of 10 over Rick Byrd.

Why does it matter about fit?? It matters more about winning, right?? If he wins, who cares, and he's pretty much shown he can do that over the years.

Why does it matter about fit? Because this isn't Belmont, recruiting must be on pace with Florida, Kentucky, etc... Is it that hard to figure out? You would think Byrd would be getting high profile interviews, if "fit" didn't matter.

VN Store

Back