Who Made This Hire?

The money made the hire. They make all hires. They determine what we are going to spend, given the situation we are in, and approve of that amount only. That's why we weren't getting anyone of the big name stature.

The money made the hire. They make all hires. They determine what we are going to spend, given the situation we are in, and approve of that amount only. That's why we weren't getting anyone of the big name stature.

I guess they want to know who determines how much money we spend?

I guess they want to know who determines how much money we spend?

I don't think it's who, I think it's the situation we are in that determines that. There's no way we can fire a coach, then turn around and spend 3 million a year on a coach that may not be able to do his job with the NCAA hanging around. I wanted to believe that we could do that, but common sense really tells me otherwise. I was hoping we would shoot for the moon, but we only had enough gas to get about halfway there.

According to 104.5 the Zone, the hire of Cuonzo Martin was recommended by Allan Houston and Ernie Grunfeld.

I asked before, and gotten no reply that I know of. Could someone explain how Cheek figures into this?

I asked before, and gotten no reply that I know of. Could someone explain how Cheek figures into this?

The AD reports directly to Cheek. Given our current situation and Hamilton's history for PR slip ups and questionable hires (in regards to NCAA compliance), I suppose he felt the need to have a hand in choosing the future of the basketball program.

The AD reports directly to Cheek. Given our current situation and Hamilton's history for PR slip ups and questionable hires (in regards to NCAA compliance), I suppose he felt the need to have a hand in choosing the future of the basketball program.

And so you think he said, "Hire Martin?" No way.

What he said was, "Pearl is hurting the university." And he was right. Cheek is getting a bunch of shat from people who otherwise wouldn't even know his name as a scapegoat for Pearl bringing shame to Tennessee. I highly doubt he meddles or interferes with the athletic department in any meaningful way, other than stepping in and encouraging Hamilton to do the right thing for the university.

We're a damn institution of higher learning, we can't have unrepentant lying cheaters representing us.

How many times did this "search committee" meet? Did the search committee interview Martin? Who asked for Houston and Grunfeld's alleged endorsement?

I don't understand how this all went down.

"The Decider"

Dooley's new nickname?

*gasp* Do you think Dooley hired Martin? I guess it was hard for him to drop the AD aspect of his responsibilities and take on a role with a little less responsibility/authority.

VN Store

Back