Hire fits Hamilton Mold To A 'T'

Cuonzo Martin is exactly who we should have expected. He's everything Mike Hamilton likes in a hire. Raleigh... Dooley... Martin.

Young, tremendous upside, from a quality coaching tree, but not truly proven. The Hamilton blueprint in flesh and blood.

Everything I've been able to learn in this short time about Martin tells me he is as high character as you'll find anywhere. The man may be a great coach for Tennessee.

This much I now know. Don't ever look for a Hamilton led athletic department to make an audacious hire. It just ain't happening.

Cuonzo Martin is exactly who we should have expected. He's everything Mike Hamilton likes in a hire. Raleigh... Dooley... Martin.

Young, tremendous upside, from a quality coaching tree, but not truly proven. The Hamilton blueprint in flesh and blood.

Everything I've been able to learn in this short time about Martin tells me he is as high character as you'll find anywhere. The man may be a great coach for Tennessee.

This much I now know. Don't ever look for a Hamilton led athletic department to make an audacious hire. It just ain't happening.
Nope it's how he rolls now, take a unknown and hope for the best. It's partly his fault most big names look upon Tennessee in a negative light now a days. He's a toomer that needs to be removed.

Nope it's how he rolls now, take a unknown and hope for the best. It's partly his fault most big names look upon Tennessee in a negative light now a days. He's a toomer that needs to be removed.

"IT'S NOT A TOOMA!!!"

*tumor. Just sayin'. But yes, I agree.

tumor
As Arny would say, no its not a tumor!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Everything I've been able to learn in this short time about Martin tells me he is as
high character as you'll find anywhere. The man may be a great coach for Tennessee.

This much I now know. Don't ever look for a
Hamilton led athletic department to make an
audacious hire. It just ain't happening.

Umm Lane Kiffin??
Posted via VolNation Mobile

As I understand audacious:
•Showing willingness to take bold risks; recklessly daring; Impudent

I think those are audacious hires. Do you mean because the salaries are not massive it is not bold or risky? He knows his job is on the line, and he is going with a head coach who has 3 years of experience who has never made the NCAAs.

Rick Byrd would not have been risky in the way that Coach Martin is.
Pearl was risky and was universally acknowledged to be a great hire until Craft decommitted and Matta got him to snitch and Forbes and then Pearl lied about a secondary violation.

I get the sense that we only serve to limit ourselves with this approach. The potential pool of quality applicants immediately declines whenever Hamilton picks up a phone.

Everything I've read or heard about Martin is positive or downright effusive in their opinion. I like the hire. But that doesn't mean I like the approach to hiring this Athletic Department consistently employs.

We have a Rolls Royce product. But we sell it as if it were a Falcon on concrete blocks.

I see the point about Lane, but I actually think he was something of an unknown commodity as a college head coach when he was hired as well.

Good point though...

As I understand audacious:
•Showing willingness to take bold risks; recklessly daring; Impudent

I think those are audacious hires. Do you mean because the salaries are not massive it is not bold or risky? He knows his job is on the line, and he is going with a head coach who has 3 years of experience who has never made the NCAAs.

Rick Byrd would not have been risky in the way that Coach Martin is.
Pearl was risky and was universally acknowledged to be a great hire until Craft decommitted and Matta got him to snitch and Forbes and then Pearl lied about a secondary violation.

Seems audacious was a poor word to use. Apologies.

I agree that Hamilton does not try to do the big name hire.

The closest he came was Kiffin, and the D Coord was the big name in that deal. It also did not work out at all.

The presser is this afternoon at 2:30 I believe.

The NCAA cloud notwithstanding, do you think that it's a conscious approach by Hamilton or, instead, a product of his limitations as a 'recruiter' when it comes to selling the UT brand to the big name coaches?

Wasn't he the one that said the head coaching position in football is not as great a job as we think it is?

The NCAA cloud notwithstanding, do you think that it's a conscious approach by Hamilton or, instead, a product of his limitations as a 'recruiter' when it comes to selling the UT brand to the big name coaches?

Wasn't he the one that said the head coaching position in football is not as great a job as we think it is?
Yes he did. He's been selling it second rate for awhile, while charging first rate prices.

First of all, the good. Like Dooley, the more I see from Martin, the more I like. He seems fiery, has great presence, has credibility as a player, and was tutored under Gene Keady. Can't we throw another $500,000 out there and plug Keady as an adviser, like he's doing at St. John's this year? I also like that Tennessee will have a recruiting pipeline in the MidWest. This has been a neglected area for years. The biggest problem this team has had this year, and the last several years, is they have too many of the same type players. There is absolutely no difference between Hopson, Tatum, Bone, McGrae, and none of our Bigs can dominate a game on either end of the floor. Martin, I think, will mold a team together, and maybe finally get something out of Woolridge, who should finally start earning his scholarship. At least you have to think Steven Pearl will be gone, or at the far end of the bench waving towels and cheering on the team, the role he is really meant for. Practice player. Let's see how Martin does recruting wise, and give him a pas for next year.
Now, the Bad. One word, Hammy. Coaches were not afraid of the Smoky Mountain Air, or fan expectations, or the SEC, or even the NCAA looming sanctions. They did not want to come to UT under Hammy. I really thought that at the least, they could get a Frank, a Tubby, a Marshall. I would have been willing to give Rick Byrd of chance; he doesn't excite me, but where in the world was Belmont 10 years ago? NAIA? The guy is doing something right. I was willing to give Shaka Smart a hefty raise, not an insane contract, but a tempting offer. It all falls on Hammy. Martin, like Dooley and everyone else, may just win because of their smarts and character, but it is despite Hammy. Poor Lady Vols, we can't even give you a day to celebrate.

Now, the Bad. One word, Hammy. Coaches were not afraid of the Smoky Mountain Air, or fan expectations, or the SEC, or even the NCAA looming sanctions.

actually the reports said they were scared of exactly that

You omitted Peterson and Kiffin. Wonder why.

This I agree with. However, when you like at their resumes, Martin has the kind of proven success that Raleigh and Dooley had never come close to. It's still a small sample size (he's only done it at one place, unlike names like Marshall, and hasn't sustained it multiple years like Mooney), but it's real success, and it's all his own.

VN Store

Back