What does this hire mean?

jp1

Got a question for anybody with inside knowledge. Does the hire of Martin tell us the news from the NCAA will be bad? The reason I ask is because it was believed that Hammy and Slive met with the NCAA guys at the SEC tourny to get an idea of the punishment and speed up the process and this was likely what ultimately got Bruce canned. Does this hire, which I assume wasnt our top choice, tell us that we got news that the punishment is going to be harder than what many on the board expect?

i dont think so. i think all this hire says is that Tennessee isnt a top tier job in the country right now (which anyone who isnt delusional can agree with). between the possibility of sanctions (no matter how severe), hamilton as AD, and the uncertainty surrounding our roster, i dont think anyone considered a big name would come here. i think CCM was a candidate for several other coaching jobs, so we had to go ahead and get our guy

It means they took the easy safe way out. Probably not as much of a stretch as the Dooley hire, but safe none the less. This is how Tennessee rolls now. Take the unknown coach and hope for the best.

When people say Tennessee isn't a top tier job in football people need to remember it was at one point and look where it is now.

The basketball team has had a recent run of success that made it appealing until the looming sanctions so now it's not as attractive. Someone should be held accountable for both of these. They let Hamilton off the hook on this one and start talking about him being linked legacy wise to everyone's job but the lunch lady, there is something wrong with that picture.

It means HAMMY needs to go. This is a F up by everyone involved. I know we have issues but we could of done better there was no real hurry could of waited to end of April and made a hire. To many good coach out their to be had . Hammy needs to GO can be named FUND Raiser AD but not have say in personal
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It means basketball is NOT important to UT

hush-little-baby-300x200.jpg

I think it means that the NCAA punishment will not be severe. Cuonzo Martin would've had another good job opportunity (and probably opportunities) this year or the next. If the consensus existed among people he talked to that this program was in big trouble, then he never would've chosen to come to Knoxville.

The basketball team has had a recent run of success that made it appealing until the looming sanctions so now it's not as attractive. Someone should be held accountable for both of these. They let Hamilton off the hook on this one and start talking about him being linked legacy wise to everyone's job but the lunch lady, there is something wrong with that picture.

:eek:lol:

I think it means there's enough uncertainty around possible NCAA penalties, AD job security and following an extremely popular head coach that the top candidates prefer to take a pass this time around.

I believe that's just the reality we're at at this moment thanks to Pearl's indiscretions.

It means basketball is NOT important to UT
Yeah, if only they would make facility upgrades to prove they were serious. Does the University of Pearl not have a basketball board for you to spend your time? You're merely a troll here.

Got a question for anybody with inside knowledge. Does the hire of Martin tell us the news from the NCAA will be bad? The reason I ask is because it was believed that Hammy and Slive met with the NCAA guys at the SEC tourny to get an idea of the punishment and speed up the process and this was likely what ultimately got Bruce canned. Does this hire, which I assume wasnt our top choice, tell us that we got news that the punishment is going to be harder than what many on the board expect?

It means this...coaches with decent jobs in good situations don't want to touch Tennessee with a 10 ft. pole thanks to Bruce Pearl's garbage. I love Bruce since the 1st yelling session I saw on ESPN about how he is OUR new coach to all the fans coming into T.B. to watch that home game. But he did this to the program....no one else. Direct your anger towards him.

The final result thanks to B.P....money simply doesn't talk to top level possible hires when the NCAA is glooming around the program. If Pearl had simply quit without any NCAA being involved....we more than likely would have picked nearly whoever we wanted with all our money and facilities.

Remember that Hamilton made an awesome hire....he brought us Pearl...Pearl didn't care enough about Tennessee....his actions to the end showed that....his ego thought he was above the law. At some point all of you haters are going to have to realize that this was a top tier job by year 2008...Pearl made it a low tier job with all his antics bringing the NCAA to our basketball door.

Support Cuonzo for now haters and hate him if he fails later.

It means this...coaches with decent jobs in good situations don't want to touch Tennessee with a 10 ft. pole thanks to Bruce Pearl's garbage. I love Bruce since the 1st yelling session I saw on ESPN about how he is OUR new coach to all the fans coming into T.B. to watch that home game. But he did this to the program....no one else. Direct your anger towards him.

The final result thanks to B.P....money simply doesn't talk to top level possible hires when the NCAA is glooming around the program. If Pearl had simply quit without any NCAA being involved....we more than likely would have picked nearly whoever we wanted with all our money and facilities.

Remember that Hamilton made an awesome hire....he brought us Pearl...Pearl didn't care enough about Tennessee....his actions to the end showed that....his ego thought he was above the law. At some point all of you haters are going to have to realize that this was a top tier job by year 2008...Pearl made it a low tier job with all his antics bringing the NCAA to our basketball door.

Support Cuonzo for now haters and hate him if he fails later.
Direct my anger at Pearl? Who said I was angry? I just asked a simple question.

And hopefully you were directing the hater comment elsewhere.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This seemed like a decently titled thread for my question. Allow me to qualify this by stating that I'm not a basketball fan. That said, where is all the instant love for Martin coming from? I don't remember this kind of outpouring for Dooley and the parallels between Martin's experience and that that of Dooley are uncanny. I think most of us are still in the wait-and-see mode on Dooley. I'm all for giving a guy a chance once he's given the job. With Martin, it seems like alot of folks have done swan dives off the olympic platform without checking to make sure there's any water in the pool. I realize that this is a somewhat rambling post but I've been really surprised by what I am reading today.

This seemed like a decently titled thread for my question. Allow me to qualify this by stating that I'm not a basketball fan. That said, where is all the instant love for Martin coming from? I don't remember this kind of outpouring for Dooley and the parallels between Martin's experience and that that of Dooley are uncanny. I think most of us are still in the wait-and-see mode on Dooley. I'm all for giving a guy a chance once he's given the job. With Martin, it seems like alot of folks have done swan dives off the olympic platform without checking to make sure there's any water in the pool. I realize that this is a somewhat rambling post but I've been really surprised by what I am reading today.
trajectory of their mid-major careers is very different. That's not everything, but it's the most telling data that there is available without boiling it down to eyeball tests.

Some of it may have to do with the stakes. Football is high stakes at UT - the hire is critical. Basketball is mid stakes - the hire is important but less mission critical. JMHOFWIW

trajectory of their mid-major careers is very different. That's not everything, but it's the most telling data that there is available without boiling it down to eyeball tests.
I heard a guy on the radio saying that Missouri State is losing their best players and will be rebuilding next season. That's pretty much what happened to Dooley after taking LaTech to a bowl game. Maybe there's more to it but they look similar to me in terms of experience.

edit: Are most/many of those who are endorsing the new hoops coach people who thought Pearl should've been fired in the Fall? Is that part of it?

Last edited:
Some of it may have to do with the stakes. Football is high stakes at UT - the hire is critical. Basketball is mid stakes - the hire is important but less mission critical. JMHOFWIW

Martin grills a better steak? Is it the marinade?

You are reading the post of a lot of people who were saying for months that if we fired Pearl then we could get any coach we wanted with our facilities and money.
They have to build it up now to look like we signed coach
K. I hope CM does well and I will support him, but, the proof is in the pudding. We will see.

I heard a guy on the radio saying that Missouri State is losing their best players and will be rebuilding next season. That's pretty much what happened to Dooley after taking LaTech to a bowl game. Maybe there's more to it but they look similar to me in terms of experience.

edit: Are most/many of those who are endorsing the new hoops coach people who thought Pearl should've been fired in the Fall? Is that part of it?

Yes

VN Store

Back