After today, it's evident that...

Domestic Silence

We either weren't going to spend a lot of money, or honestly no one really wanted this job.

Let me preface this by saying I think Martin is a good coach and has done a great job in turning Missouri State around. This isn't a "slam" CCM thread at all, I would just like to discuss this process, the mindset of our Athletic Administration, and our program as a whole.

I think we could have had a shot at a better, more proven coach, but it would have cost some big money. Apparently, we are just not interested in spending it. I don't run the books up there, so I can't complain about how they spend their money, but we wanted to stay within the $1.5 range and we did. We'll see what that gets us.

As for other coaches coming here, I understand why many were timid about it. Upcoming sanctions, status of the program, etc...are all understandable concerns for a coach leaving a good program to come here.

What do you think?

Also, as a bonus question, would you have rather had Rick Byrd now that you know who we hired?

We either weren't going to spend a lot of money, or honestly no one really wanted this job.

Let me preface this by saying I think Martin is a good coach and has done a great job in turning Missouri State around. This isn't a "slam" CCM thread at all, I would just like to discuss this process, the mindset of our Athletic Administration, and our program as a whole.

I think we could have had a shot at a better, more proven coach, but it would have cost some big money. Apparently, we are just not interested in spending it. I don't run the books up there, so I can't complain about how they spend their money, but we wanted to stay within the $1.5 range and we did. We'll see what that gets us.

As for other coaches coming here, I understand why many were timid about it. Upcoming sanctions, status of the program, etc...are all understandable concerns for a coach leaving a good program to come here.

What do you think?

Also, as a bonus question, would you have rather had Rick Byrd now that you know who we hired?

This is another thing I don't get about Hamilton. Is he really so shortsighted that he can't understand that spending an extra million or so on a much better coach will easily pay for itself in ticket sales, etc. when we field a quality basketball team that people are excited about as opposed to saving little money on the front end, but the arena being only 1/3 or 1/2 full because we're mediocre/bad again?

AA situation was 1 problem.
AD situation was 2nd problem.
3rd the UT program has never searched long & hard for a coach. Its just the MO here. Quick & cheap or hire with in...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think what Hamilton was going for was the anti-Pearl. Hiring a winning coach is a crapshoot regardless, but ethics and discipline are a couple constants that you can control. I like the hire based on what I've heard and different interviews. Really like the way this program is headed.

This is another thing I don't get about Hamilton. Is he really so shortsighted that he can't understand that spending an extra million or so on a much better coach will easily pay for itself in ticket sales, etc. when we field a quality basketball team that people are excited about as opposed to saving little money on the front end, but the arena being only 1/3 or 1/2 full because we're mediocre/bad again?

I couldn't agree more. It will be worth the extra $2-3 mil in the front when it works for many years to come. But, you want to go cheap on the front end, and then have to do it again, and again...not to mention it costs you your job! Frustrating.

I think what Hamilton was going for was the anti-Pearl. Hiring a winning coach is a crapshoot regardless, but ethics and discipline are a couple constants that you can control. I like the hire based on what I've heard and different interviews. Really like the way this program is headed.

Understandable, but let's hope we get more than an NIT-berth.

I miss Pearl more than you can imagine, my favorite UT coach ever. That said, I am behind this hire all the way, I like what I have read thus far, I believe he could win with our talent, lets just hope he can recruit

MH has been stuck with the mop to clean up on two of his hires for FB and MBB now. After a fiasco like Pearl's, you make an under the radar hire. Fact is being a championship contender in basketball (football as well) means you have to live in the gray area of NCAA regulations, which we couldn't afford to do with the 'AA breathing down the necks of both UT sports programs. The only exception is if the nearly non-existent situation of pulling a name guy down from the NBA or an established, successful MBB head coach. UT's name is up and coming in that world, but it's not there yet.

I like the hire. If you're not Kansas, UCLA, North Carolina, Kentucky, etc. then this is the sort of hire you have to settle for and hope the guy can recruit.

What do you think?

Who would have come here?

Not Smart nor Stevens.

To the bonus question: Hell no to Byrd.

well with the sanctions coming this was just someone thats was willing to take the job for the money hire,,maybe in 5 years or so we MIGHT try to hire a big name coach,this is just a interim job till then so i guess it is what it is.

i think it would have been very hard, if not impossible, to get a big name coach here right now. tennessee has the potential to be a top tier job, but right now its not due to the uncertainty at AD, the questions on the roster (Harris and Hopson coming back, recruits staying, etc), as well as any possible NCAA sanctions. i think this is probably the best hire we could have gotten (although it pains me just to think hamilton might have done something right)

What do you think?

I think Hamilton absolutely did not have carte blanche. The BOT was very sensitive to the issue of Dooley's salary and not disrespecting him. I think Hamilton was able to offer up to 2 million a year (like the 8 year deal that was reported) and that was not enough to get
Jay Wright
Jamie Dixon or
Brad Stevens.

We do still have the NCAA cloud (although I expect the University to fare similarly to football with the hammer following our departed coaches) and that had an impact.

And while I like Coach Byrd, I think the upside potential of the two men are not very close. A former NBA player recruiting to TN? A guy who has friends in the league and who has already recruited studs like Moore at Purdue? We did the right thing with the budget we had, and there is a strong possibility that this will be a home run that will cement the reputation of Mike Hamilton.

Turn a profit, build facilities and make great hires that lead to winning. Hamilton is 2 for 3, and Dooley and Martin will be his final legacy (though Pearl is a net positive) because frankly basketball and football are the only sports that people really care about.

We got exactly what we should have gotten given the situation. This was my concern about firing Bruce. To me, it's all a business decision and it seemed to me that we are looking at 2 years (with or without Bruce) to get this ship righted.

VN Store

Back