Martin Flew Back To Missouri Tonight To Talk To His Players.

Agreed, but why fly to Knoxville Sunday, back to Springfield Sunday night, then back to Knoxville Monday? What was so important on campus to require such back and forth?

Yah. I like that. I don't know his roster but wonder how many guys he was losing.

+ 1.

I respect your knowledge of basketball. Without digging through every thread, what is your opinion on the hire?

I'm not ecstatic, but I like the guy.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
He wouldn't have been in my top tier of candidates and I certainly wouldn't have pulled the trigger on hiring him near this quickly. That said, I'm not unhappy with the hire.

He wouldn't have been in my top tier of candidates and I certainly wouldn't have pulled the trigger on hiring him near this quickly. That said, I'm not unhappy with the hire.
What kind of success do you realistically think he could have here?

He certainly seems to be a good person. I just hope he can recruit and market the program. If he does that, he should be relatively successful.

Agreed, but why fly to Knoxville Sunday, back to Springfield Sunday night, then back to Knoxville Monday? What was so important on campus to require such back and forth?
Perhaps today was his first visit/interview on campus? Not having the first damn clue how the interview/hiring process goes, I wouldn't know how many trips to the campus is standard protocol.

His teams imporved dramatically from year to year...his first season they went 11-20 (3-15), 2nd year 24-12 (8-10) and this year 26-9 (15-3).

Hat, any way that Tobias stays?

I've followed Martin since he played. I'm sincerely stoked about him being our coach. He coaches with a lot of intensity and has recruited well at Purdue and as well as you can at Missouri State.

That, that is someone you want representing your program right there.

What kind of success do you realistically think he could have here?
I don't see any reason he can't compete for SEC titles and consistently make the NCAA Tournament with a chance to advance. That's what should be exepected of any Tennessee basketball coach going forward.

I don't see any reason he can't compete for SEC titles and consistently make the NCAA Tournament with a chance to advance. That's what should be exepected of any Tennessee basketball coach going forward.
All personal dislike and NCAA issues aside, you think he's a better coach than Pearl?

I see a lot of reason to be optimistic, but not enough of a sample size to be overly confident.

What is holding him back from being on your first tier? The lack of expirence as a HC?

Agree 100%.

I think we hired him quickly cause there was a chance Painter goes to Missouri and the Conzou would be first on Purdue's list.

This can be a precarious situation. Let's hope he is only traveling back to talk to his players. It wouldn't be the first time a coach has verbally accepted an offer to then reconsider.

Yes, sir. Anybody would be a step up from his predecessor.

Indeed. Can't wait til next season when Pearl is an afterthought, ready to move on and be proud of our coach and program again. Looks like Martin would have been Purdue's man if Painter left. That speaks volumes to me. JMO

I think we hired him quickly cause there was a chance Painter goes to Missouri and the Conzou would be first on Purdue's list.

Also read a Bradley article on ajc.com that he was touting him for Ga Tech...seems disappointed that we hired him.

Indeed. Can't wait til next season when Pearl is an afterthought, ready to move on and be proud of our coach and program again. Looks like Martin would have been Purdue's man if Painter left. That speaks volumes to me. JMO

My thoughts exactly.

VN Store

Back