Should we have spent more time searching?

omghulkhands

Regardless of what you think about the hire made today, do you think we spent an adequate amount of time searching for a coach? Do you think we should have took more time or would that have been detrimental to the search?

Regardless of what you think about the hire made today, do you think we spent an adequate amount of time searching for a coach? Do you think we should have took more time or would that have been detrimental to the search?

I think we should have made Stevens turn down the most lucrative contract in NCAA history. That being said, it is encouraging to see that Kuonzo was #1 on he list at Missouri and Ga. Tech. If he really is the man --and the big dogs beleive he is-- then we couldn't have waited.

I would have waited for Wichita's season to end and hire Marshall, personally.

All in with Zo, though.

I read in one of the numerous articles a quote by Hammy that said Martin was the first one interviewed. Not the ONLY one, but the first one. So they had been on him for a while. He also said they kept coming back to him. In answer to your question, I think they were stuck between a rock and a hard space and did what they had to do. I can't imagine that they only started thinking about and vetting potential coaches until AFTER they fired Bruce. So, I think it was an okay timeline. Certainly better than it taking a month and all the good guys being gone.

I think we should have atleast waited til after the tourney, contacted everybody we were interested in, then made the hire in a non rushed manner.

I do like the hire the more I read about him, just think we should have taken a little more time. Can't rush these things imo
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If we were going for the low-splash, cheap money hire...might as well do it now.

It's evident we weren't going to spend much money to pull a big name here, so who cares.

I think we should have made Stevens turn down the most lucrative contract in NCAA history. That being said, it is encouraging to see that Kuonzo was #1 on he list at Missouri and Ga. Tech. If he really is the man --and the big dogs beleive he is-- then we couldn't have waited.

Who is kuonzo? maybe we should have gone after him if he was number 1 on those list. Oh well.. I'm happy with Cuonzo anyway

What would been the point of searching for longer? If 1.3 mil was as high as Hamilton was willing to go, then we were going to get stuck with a sub-par coach no matter when we hired somebody, so we might as well bite the bullet sooner rather than later. So much him being more committed to basketball than previous AD's. All that clown cares about is money. He could care less whether we field a successful team or not. He's shown it with the football program, and showed it again today with a laughable basketball hire. This hire will quickly squander all the positive momentum we gained during the Pearl era.

We weren't getting pitt, butler or Nova's coach. We are kind of stuck with going in this direction. Are you surprised?

With the AA situation would not have mattered the interest was not there for the "name" guy.

No. We should have taken more time. He might have connections in the STL and Atlanta but he's way to unproven. He's walkin' into a hornets nest with all the junk going on around here.

To early to hire. To many good coaches out their . Would of rather had Rick Byrd if we were going to just give up and hire that quick

I like going after Stevens first. Probably 50/50 chance. But if he turns it down then TN makes headlines by putting 5 mill a year on the table.

I think Cuonzo was only number one on Ga. Tech. B-List. They want to give a guy like Shaka Smart 4 million reasons to be the next GT head coach. Smart is only making 325K a year now, so he's going to move sooner or later like Anthony Grant.

If we were going for the low-splash, cheap money hire...might as well do it now.

It's evident we weren't going to spend much money to pull a big name here, so who cares.

to add to your comment, it's also not like any big names were going to come to a program that's about to be sanctioned and sent back to the " black curtain" years for a while either. I dont know what it is about VOLS fans that think a big name would even consider comming here. My only question aside from the initial " who is he", would be why not atleat take a bit more time and put some feelers out there for some of the socalled up and comers before jumping right in. Cuonso and Derek will probably have TONS to talk about.

What would been the point of searching for longer? If 1.3 mil was as high as Hamilton was willing to go, then we were going to get stuck with a sub-par coach no matter when we hired somebody, so we might as well bite the bullet sooner rather than later. So much him being more committed to basketball than previous AD's. All that clown cares about is money. He could care less whether we field a successful team or not. He's shown it with the football program, and showed it again today with a laughable basketball hire. This hire will quickly squander all the positive momentum we gained during the Pearl era.

Arent we paying Pearl 2 million severance but we only have 1.3 million for a new coach. Something wrong with that picture.

Given the circumstances this is a solid hire. If TN had waited around another week, there is a good chance Martin would be hired by MO or Purdue (if MO hired Purdue's coach). Then TN may have been stuck looking to assistant coaches with zero HC experience.

You can sit and smoke your pipe for too long and then realize that all of the good candidates got scooped up by someone else.

All indications are that Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart had no interest in UT, much less other schools.

We scooped up Cuonzo Martin before Missouri or Purdue could grab him. That speaks volumes of what two traditional basketball schools thought about Martin.

I like going after Stevens first. Probably 50/50 chance. But if he turns it down then TN makes headlines by putting 5 mill a year on the table.

I think Cuonzo was only number one on Ga. Tech. B-List. They want to give a guy like Shaka Smart 4 million reasons to be the next GT head coach. Smart is only making 325K a year now, so he's going to move sooner or later like Anthony Grant.

Try 0% chance. Stevens is in the final four for the second year in a row. Why come to a program about to be hit with NCAA sanctions? It's not all about money!

The guy might turn out fine, but it was the same thing with Dooley a rush rush hire. What was so important about having a coach in place by April 4th? I think these guys go into panic mode to cover up all the bonehead moves that go on up there. Lets hurry up and get a guy in place to give them all false hope and something to chew on, instead of chewing on us.

Attention deflection so as to not appear as clueless. Too late for that guys, the cat's out of the bag now.

Hamilton just said Martin was the first coach they interviewed.....

I'm paraphrasing here:

The search firm came up with a list of 25 candidates.....Martin was the first one they interviewed, they didn't feel they had a need to continue a search.

Didn't want to interview 15-16 coaches.
Martin had a second interview and hit a home run yesterday afternoon.

VN Store

Back