Typically, a Decent Measure of a New Coach...

Unimane

is how the people in his previous job regard the guy. It's not a fail safe measure, but, surprisingly, a very good tool to consider the potential of a coach. I still remember Oregon and Tulsa fans telling me that our new coaches weren't worth much and "you'll be disappointed". Sure enough, Green and Peterson were as mediocre as advertised.

On the other hand, I was on the UW-Milwaukee campus in 2005 and there was a palpable panic when Pearl was rumored for the UT job. I even remember there being a concerted effort to scrape together a few hundred thousand t keep him around. Similarly, the Marquette people were not eager to part with O'Neill.

That being said, the chatter amongst the Missouri and Purdue people is very positive, which encourages me. I also like the fact Martin recruited many of the studs to West Lafayette in his time there, like Hummel, Moore and Johnson. I especially like the fact that the players love him while him still having a disciplinarian reputation. Players in Knoxville didn't give two s-its about Green and Buzz left them pretty limp. A coach who can keep kids in line and they still will run through walls for him is a valuable figure on the sidelines.

All in all, I remain patiently hopeful at this point.

Nooooo.....I have never heard his name before so its impossible for him to be a good basketball coach!

If nothing else, we will have less "back injuries" under Martin. We need some discipline here.

The fans were excited about the Pearl hire and O'neill. Green not so much. Peterson is a lot like our hire a guy who was a good college player but hadn't had a lot of Head coaching experience when he was hired.

The fans were excited about the Pearl hire and O'neill. Green not so much. Peterson is a lot like our hire a guy who was a good college player but hadn't had a lot of Head coaching experience when he was hired.
Exactly. Buzz excited the fans because Green was gone.

Martin is a lot more respected than Buzz was. He took a solid Tulsa roster that had made the Elite Eight and did nothing with it in one year. He also never recruited like Martin did at Purdue.

I would be curious to know Cuonzo's roommate at Purdue. Could it be...the Big Dog himself? Then, I might agree somewhat with the comparison.

Martin is a lot more respected than Buzz was. He took a solid Tulsa roster that had made the Elite Eight and did nothing with it in one year. He also never recruited like Martin did at Purdue.

I would be curious to know Cuonzo's roommate at Purdue. Could it be...the Big Dog himself? Then, I might agree somewhat with the comparison.

Peterson actually won the NIT at Tulsa which is better then the 2nd round.

I hate to defend Buzz. But he did take Appy State to the NCAA and I believe he won the NIT at Tulsa.

Yeah, he won the NIT with a team that went to the Elite Eight the previous year. Not the NIT Elite Eight, the real one. Trust me, Buzz underachieved on that one, big time. Martin went into no similar opportunity.

With a team that had been in the Elite Eight fairly recently. Martin made the second round with a team two years off a 3-15 conference record.

And got beat in the second round. I know you're drinking the kool aid from you avatar, but the resume is slim at best.

When you're taking over a team the majority of whom were in the Elite Eight the year before, being in the NIT at all is a disgrace.

Regardless, give the man a chance. Go look at this theory on rebuilding a program. It's all about discipline. Something we've been lacking, and a definite upgrade IMO.

And got beat in the second round. I know you're drinking the kool aid from you avatar, but the resume is slim at best.

Oh, we have our first "drinking the kool-aid" accusation regarding Martin! I think this is some kind of record. I don't remember it being such a short time after the Pearl hire. Could've been weeks later, in fact.

VN Store

Back