I'll admit I'm a little underwhelmed

tvolsfan

VN GURU
but I don't understand all the negativity from the fan base.

first year: 11-20
second year: 24-12
third year: 26-9

He may not be a great hire, but all I see his consistent improvement. In 2 years, he went from 3-15 to 15-3 and a conference title. It's not like we hired Wade Houston.

Led Missouri State to its first conference title in 23 years.

Underwhelming is a good word here and its how most hires in BB work. I don't see any reason at all to be openly hostile or negative about it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

He may not be a great hire, but all I see his consistent improvement. In 2 years, he went from 3-15 to 15-3 and a conference title. It's not like we hired Wade Houston.

The people who bought into Griff's "5 potential coaches list" in the KNS are the one who are disappointed.

Underwhelming is a good word here and its how most hires in BB work. I don't see any reason at all to be openly hostile or negative about it.

exactly....lets give this guy a chance, he at least deserves as much.

I simply don't follow basketball that much, at least not compared to football, so I don't know as much about as many guys as I do with football. That being said, there's no reason to think this guy sucks. A risky hire? Sure. But there's no indication that he's bad, IMO. My initial reaction is a lot better than my reaction to hiring Dooley.

Last edited:
I just read his bio.. he has a crazy history! The guy played in the NBA , had cancer and beat it. . Sounds like a fighter.

The people who bought into Griff's "5 potential coaches list" in the KNS are the one who are disappointed.

When I saw that headline, that was the first thing I thot. Without even reading the article, I knew that unless Phil Jackson or Pat Riley showed up, we were in for a major disappointment.

The KNS is kind of a joke.

I just read his bio.. he has a crazy history! The guy played in the NBA , had cancer and beat it. . Sounds like a fighter.

+1000

Give the Coach a chance!! Every big time coach out there started somewhere and worked their way to the top. GO VOLS!!

It's underwhelming because he has a 3 yr resume and no NCAA tourney births. It's underwhelming because his name was mentioned in the "if that's where we end up" category.
However, he's the new coach and he's got my support until he doesn't.

It's underwhelming because he has a 3 yr resume and no NCAA tourney births. It's underwhelming because his name was mentioned in the "if that's where we end up" category.
However, he's the new coach and he's got my support until he doesn't.
I'm in this camp, too.

Half the coaches coaching today can show improvement in two of last three years. Fourteen times Rick Byrd had a better record one year than the year before. 14 times he's showed improvement in his coaching career. He's also finished 1st in conference eight(8) times-thats like once ever four years. Also something about half of today's coaches have on their resume. So these things mean little!

Last edited:
don't really see why so many people are negative about this to be honest......or why so many are so shocked that we didn't get anybody with a huge name when ut is in the position they are right now.

guy has only been a head coach 3 years, but he's had a good overall track record in that time period. i'm willing to give him a shot, just like everyone else should.

VN Store

Back