People, just read this. Stop freaking out about Martin.

lylsmorr

I watched what he did from season 1 with absolutely nothing at Mizzou State. He had scrap players to start with, that is IT.

Season 1: 11-20(3-15)
Season 2: 24-12(8-10)
Season 3: 26-9(15-3)

That is damn impressive for doing that much in such a short time considering that A) He's in a tough conference. MVC is no joke. and B) He had glorified high school talent to work with.

He's done well recruiting considering where the program started and how unknown the team was, and also how small the program is compared to the "Big Six" programs. He's intense in every single game he coaches. He won a bracket buster game a few years ago and you would think he just won the conference championship.

He's going to be fine, I believe. If he has a losing record this year, I'll leave the board.

Oh, and his players loved him. I think he can keep the recruits on board and the players here.

We stole him from under the noses of Purdue and Missouri.

The guy can coach and is a hell of a recruiter. He has a couple of big time players from the midwest that he may be bringing with him.

The guy can coach and is a hell of a recruiter. He has a couple of big time players from the midwest that he may be bringing with him.

How do you know he can recruit? An what big time players?

after getting over my gut reaction, i am still surprised tennessee hired someone who had never coached a team into the ncaa tournament.

after getting over my gut reaction, i am still surprised tennessee hired someone who had never coached a team into the ncaa tournament.

Third year as a head coach. It's not that big of a tell as how great he did taking that program to where it is in just 3 years.

The former Missouri State coach (Barry Hinson) did Martin no favors. Hinson only really recruited locals kids. Martin came in and brought in JUCOs to make an impact. He can coach.

I watched what he did from season 1 with absolutely nothing at Mizzou State. He had scrap players to start with, that is IT.

That is damn impressive for doing that much in such a short time considering that A) He's in a tough conference. MVC is no joke. and B) He had glorified high school talent to work with.

He's done well recruiting considering where the program started and how unknown the team was, and also how small the program is compared to the "Big Six" programs. He's intense in every single game he coaches. He won a bracket buster game a few years ago and you would think he just won the conference championship.

He's going to be fine, I believe. If he has a losing record this year, I'll leave the board.

My thoughts exactly. I was looking at the W/L record, and how it improved and thought "Damn. What's not to like?" Perhaps not a 360/windmill slam, but a solid double-pump. If he couldn't coach, Keady wouldn't have kept him around. Cancer survivor as well so he can handle adversity.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

kinda like when florida went out and hired a head football coach who had never been a head football coach...:eek:k:

You think it came out of nowhere, Springbok? I've been using the company resources at work to keep a running list of potential coaching hires on a white board all week. I think he got put on the board Monday afternoon. And I guarantee you I don't have any better sources than you.

Well, he'll get to do it again. With more scrap players. Because that's probably all he'll have here.

Almost like Florida hiring Billy Donovan...

as has been mentioned numerous times, florida's basketball program was crap when billy was hired.

they had a fluke season and final four appearance in 1994.

that was it.

if florida went to six straight ncaa tourneys and made that kind of hire it would be different.

the will muschamp example is a better example.

It has been done. There is nothing to gain with being negative. Welcome Coach Martin, you've got your work cut out for you.

This is a good hire. Cuonzo Martin came from East St. Louis, literally from nothing and has made something of himself. He can relate to the urban kids, keep them in line and sets a great example for them. He does things the right way and takes no shortcuts. He will leave his mark on UT and it won't be a scar.

:pepper:
You think it came out of nowhere? I've been using the company resources at work to keep a running list of potential coaching hires on a white board all week. I think he got put on the board Monday afternoon. And I guarantee you I don't have any better sources than you.

Oh, snap!

We didn't steal him from anybody. He was second on Mizzou's list and if you think he came here when he had a chance to go to his alma mater, you're insane.

You can schedule ones self a winning record.

This is a good hire. Cuonzo Martin came from East St. Louis, literally from nothing and has made something of himself. He can relate to the urban kids, keep them in line and sets a great example for them. He does things the right way and takes no shortcuts. He will leave his mark on UT and it won't be a scar.

That is what all of these AAU prima donnas want (and their color has nothing) (neither does his) someone to keep them in line.

VN Store

Back