Tennessee Basketball: The coaching search

Good read. I hope it's Mooney as well as I have him in a bet! I think it will be Smart or Mooney. The fact that Rivers could walk away after this season will be too compellling for Frank to leave.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
What about mooney makes him such a good hire ? I don't get all the love for him?

Lot of good thoughts. I do think you've underrated Marshall and Brown a bit. Marshall has had consistent improvement each year at Wichita State and didn't take them to the tourney this year just because they didn't win the conference tournament. Their only double digit loss this year was against SDSU, and they only had four losses by more than a single basket, including a four-pointer against UConn. Also like seeing an 8-2 road record (losses to San Diego State and the MVC champ).

We've discussed Brown and have what I consider reasonable disagreement.

I'd be fine with Mooney. Not sure whether I prefer him or Marshall behind Frank and Turgeon (and Stevens, which isn't happening), but I think both would be good.

What about mooney makes him such a good hire ? I don't get all the love for him?

Good success recently, seems to know Xs and Os, and most importantly to the bean counters - we could probably get him for a relatively cheap price.

Lawrence Frank to UT seems to be gaining steam based on Doc Rivers' comments. Although I doubt that Frank will take the job (barring a miracle), I also don't think Chris Mooney will be our choice. I am predicting that Greg Marshall will be who we hire.

Just my two cents.

Lawrence Frank to UT seems to be gaining steam based on Doc Rivers' comments. Although I doubt that Frank will take the job (barring a miracle), I also don't think Chris Mooney will be our choice. I am predicting that Greg Marshall will be who we hire.

Just my two cents.

Marshall, Mooney, or Smart would be good bets. One of those three will probably get the job.

I'm a little disappointed Blaine Taylor is not getting a look.

A quick edit would do wonders. No offense intended.
Catch things like Hamilton being hung and minor typos.

Mike Griffith was on the radio in Memphis today and he said the hush hush word is a high profile coach is considering the job but he couldn't name names.

Mike Griffith was on the radio in Memphis today and he said the hush hush word is a high profile coach is considering the job but he couldn't name names.

Why couldn't you have used anybody else as a name?

Why couldn't you have used anybody else as a name?

My freakin thoughts exactly.

And btw, I was about to bash you for starting a coaching search thread below the stickied coaching search thread :p Looking forward to reading the blog, though.

My freakin thoughts exactly.

And btw, I was about to bash you for starting a coaching search thread below the stickied coaching search thread :p Looking forward to reading the blog, though.

Thanks. Hope you enjoy.

There's not enough douche on earth to fill up the bag that is Griffith.

Good read. Obviously Frank is the most popular choice - it would be amazing if he came to UT.

I'd be really pleased with Mooney, Marshall, and Turgeon as well.

Sure wasn't concerned about dropping names a couple of days ago.

I think one of the god things about losing Pearl (although it sucks he's gone) is that Hammy knows he MUST make the right hire or he's out. This could work to the programs benefit and really boost men's BB. Frank would be a helluva choice and lets hope it happens.

Either way, the program should land a good coach. Whoever it is will have a tough start, but a good coach will be able to get through it and survive.

If the new coach is a good name, Harris and Hopson will be back (although I'm not enamored with Hop), and our recruits will honor their commitment. Then if the new guy will get a big man, just one, in this signing period, I think we will be okay and he will be off to a good start. At least that's what I'm hoping.

VN Store

Back