Why UT Will Not Get a Big Name Coach

Urinal Mint

40oz To Freedom
1. We face the same problem in football, no instate talent except for one city which is closer to most SEC schools than us and have Tiger High in town.Georgia is getting better and thats the state we have to dominate in order to recruit well.
2. Even the possibility that we could face major penalties will scare many coaches.
3. We have NO ONE returning if Harris and Hopson go. It will be a full rebuilding job.
4. Who would want to follow up a guy like Pearl who was as loved by fans as he was and make UT basketball what it is today.
5. Who wants to work for a weak boss like Hamilton who can't even keep you around if he wants you.
6. We are Tennessee, its a cursed establishment. Even when you win, you lose.

#5 is the least of my concerns. I don't care what we read, I'm not sure that Mike's getting much say in this.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

#5 is the least of my concerns. I don't care what we read, I'm not sure that Mike's getting much say in this.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
This is reasons why a coach wouldn't want to come here. Having a powerless AD is not a good situation to step into.

it seems to me since the NCAA fired pearl, they would have told us what the penalties would be and that could be passed on to a prospective coach....op seems to forget we are one of the top schools in attendance and revenues.....maybe a little prozac is in order....

We won't be either until we start...

charlie-sheen-winning-image.jpg

I don't swallow... I think $$$ speaks louder than anything on his pity-list. Tennessee will hire the right coach... maybe another Derek Dooley-esque coach, if not a big name.
Dooley type coach is exactly what i'm talking about. I'm not saying we'll get a bad coach but anyone thinking will get anyone who's on most peoples top 3 will be disappointed. The coaches we have on the top of our list can wait around for a job thats a better situation to open.

1. We face the same problem in football, no instate talent except for one city which is closer to most SEC schools than us and have Tiger High in town.Georgia is getting better and thats the state we have to dominate in order to recruit well.
2. Even the possibility that we could face major penalties will scare many coaches.
3. We have NO ONE returning if Harris and Hopson go. It will be a full rebuilding job.
4. Who would want to follow up a guy like Pearl who was as loved by fans as he was and make UT basketball what it is today.
5. Who wants to work for a weak boss like Hamilton who can't even keep you around if he wants you.

Wow.....never realized how big a loser I was loving Tennessee so much....why have I been proud these last 35 years....

ohnowesuckagain.jpg

A lot of people think we will get a great coach. Please me if we did. But, Tennessee is not the Mecca of college
basketball. We will get another also ran. I think we lucked up with Pearl. The sanctions will still be heavy even without Pearl. The NCAA will not fall for Hamiltons
maneuver to lessen sanctions. We will return to thinking
twenty wins is a great season and those will be few and far between.

I'd be willing to bet the AD has a much better grasp of what the realistic worst case scenario will be regarding the punishment. Shedding CBP should minimize this pain dramatically anyway. I doubt that would be a huge stumbling block. I am more concerned about the issues inherent in not having a significant local recruiting base to draw talent from. It will have to be someone that enjoys the recruiting game. I really hope we don't end up with an unproven project hire though. I love CDD, but we need some sort of a splash to have any chance at salvaging this year's class, next year's season, and to offset some of this horrid publicity that the entire athletic program has suffered through over the last few years.

I can only imagine what the uninformed average Joe Q. Public's impression of UT is at the moment. Currently, I'd bet the word joke wouldn't fall outside his top 5 best words to describe us unfortunately.

We will be back though, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Oh well who ever we get as our new HC we need to support him. Yeah it sucks Bruce is gone do I think we can get a big name coach. Yeah sure money talks but we know most likely we won't get a big name.

VN Store

Back