$50,000

BiGdNtN

Good idea at the time!
I heard last night that UT hired and paid a firm $50,000 to help them find a new coach. I was just wondering if this is common practice by universities looking for head coaches. I thought that was the AD's job.

The university insulates themselves by hiring a firm. Plausable deniability can be used if we are ever turned down by a coach. Helps from a PR perspective.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Only $50,000? If I were a firm helping to conduct a search for a coach that will soon have a multi-million dollar contract I would be asking for quite a bit more than that.

Allows the AD to say things like "We have not contacted . ." "We have not offered . ."

Allows potential candidates to say "I have not been contacted by the University of Tennessee . ."

From what I've heard, these groups operate like some of the college recruiting services. Pay an amount up front, and the fee is a percentage of the scholarship (in this case, I'd guess it's a % of the contract)

Allows the AD to say things like "We have not contacted . ." "We have not offered . ."

Allows potential candidates to say "I have not been contacted by the University of Tennessee . ."

Exactly. Good move buy colleges, allows people to work backchannels on their behalf, people who may have connections people at UT don't have. Also, unless I am mistaken, avoids UT from getting permission from schools to gauge interest.

Only $50,000? If I were a firm helping to conduct a search for a coach that will soon have a multi-million dollar contract I would be asking for quite a bit more than that.

With all the buyout, we decided to go the cheap route on the search committee :)

Attachments

• 12c5c8c8-903c-497e-a3aa-523b5dc70078.jpg
    12c5c8c8-903c-497e-a3aa-523b5dc70078.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 6
I heard last night that UT hired and paid a firm $50,000 to help them find a new coach. I was just wondering if this is common practice by universities looking for head coaches. I thought that was the AD's job.

almost everyone will use a search firm. We have in past..

Man, we could have bought a 1/3 of Cam Newton and a National Championship with that money.

The university insulates themselves by hiring a firm. Plausable deniability can be used if we are ever turned down by a coach. Helps from a PR perspective.

I've got a feeling MH is going to need all the insulation he can get.

ITs also a good way to avoid the disaster of letting Hamilton hire anyone. Ill trade you RC Johnson straight up for Hamilton right now though.

I didn't hear Bama doing it when they hired Saban. I have heard of a few schools doing it, but TN seems to spend way more than most on search firms. And I know Auburn didn't use one when they hired Gene Chizik. It's really the AD's job to talk to potential hires.

Last edited:
Those were unusual situations.

Auburn didn't need any kind of deniability with Chizik. No one else wanted him and no one really thought Auburn was serious about hiring him. Auburn just knew something apparently no one else did, like Duke did when they hired the basketball coach who'd just gone 9-17 at Army.

As for Bama, I don't think they even cared what people knew. They went after Rich Rod publicly, and then did the same with Saban.

I know in football, because there are so many coaches, they use them.

In basketball, it's a little surprising though.

But I get why they use them.

VN Store

Back