If We Want To Make Sure We Don't Get A Good Coach...

LawVol13

We should go ahead and fire Mike Hamilton. Having that kind of uncertainty and chaos in the athletic department isn't exactly going to be enticing to potential coaches. Also, the notion of firing him in 3 weeks or so is equally absurd. No good coach is going to come here knowing that there's a great chance that the guy who hired him is getting ready to get sent packing. Wake up, guys.

Probably true. It's kind of a lose lose situation for us. We can fire Hamilton and have an almost 0% chance of hiring a good coach, or keep him, and based on his previous track record have a 25% chance of getting a good coach. The one ray of hope here is the fact that at least his only good hire did come in basketball.

We should go ahead and fire Mike Hamilton. Having that kind of uncertainty and chaos in the athletic department isn't exactly going to be enticing to potential coaches. Also, the notion of firing him in 3 weeks or so is equally absurd. No good coach is going to come here knowing that there's a great chance that the guy who hired him is getting ready to get sent packing. Wake up, guys.

And a good coach is going to come here after the "support" he offered the players pre-tournament?

We've got an AD who backed Pearl all year, then decides to nuance his message hours before Pearl's team competes. How do you think such a mistake in logic and judgment is playing out there in coaching circles?

That is the problem we're going to have. Money talks. But other programs have money as well and are run by ADs who can complete a sentence without doing damage.

I wonder if MikeHamiltonFan is still a Mike Hamilton Fan?

If so, then it's possible he's the only one left. Hard to defend Hamilton at this point. However, like LV said, we don't really have any choice right now but to keep him for the sake of the basketball team's immediate future. Hopefully he'll be gone before the next football hire though, I don't know how much longer I can stand the football team sucking.

And a good coach is going to come here after the "support" he offered the players pre-tournament?

We've got an AD who backed Pearl all year, then decides to nuance his message hours before Pearl's team competes. How do you think such a mistake in logic and judgment is playing out there in coaching circles?

That is the problem we're going to have. Money talks. But other programs have money as well and are run by ADs who can complete a sentence without doing damage.

I believe we may have what you call a lose/lose situation

We've got an AD that did everything he could to keep Pearl. He got overruled by Cheek. Firing him now would be monumentally stupid.

We've got an AD that did everything he could to keep Pearl. He got overruled by Cheek. Firing him now would be monumentally stupid.

So how long do you think we have to wait till we can finally get rid of him? If we wait till the next football hire comes up in a few years, we'll be in the same boat then trying to ditch him right before we hire a football coach.

Well let's see his only basketball hire is out, his first football hire is out, his baseball coach will be if he don't make SEC tourney, who knows about Dooley..So what makes you think we will hire a good coach with him?

Yeah, I figure he won't be gone until after the new basketball coach is signed.

So how long do you think we have to wait till we can finally get rid of him? If we wait till the next football hire comes up in a few years, we'll be in the same boat then trying to ditch him right before we hire a football coach.

It's never a good time to fire a AD and i'm with you i'd rather it be during a basketball hire than a football one.

I respectfully disagree. I said in another thread that the only job one could screw up as bad as Hamilton has screwed up and remain employed is a weatherman. Mike Hamilton is an epic failure as an AD.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't like all this talk about "when the next football hire comes around" as if Dooley won't be uber succesful. Are we that pessimistic?

Well let's see his only basketball hire is out, his first football hire is out, his baseball coach will be if he don't make SEC tourney, who knows about Dooley..So what makes you think we will hire a good coach with him?

Almost nothing. However, there are plenty of reasons why we definitely won't be able to make a good hire if we ditch him right now. Even though he's failed on all his other hires, he's proven he can listen to people and then make a good basketball hire.

I respectfully disagree. I said in another thread that the only job one could screw up as bad as Hamilton has screwed up and remain employed is a weatherman. Mike Hamilton is an epic failure as an AD.

I'm not passing judgment on Hamilton's performance. I'm saying if you want a good coach in here, we should keep him.

Part of the job is how you approach and communicate with the public as the main representative of UTAD. Hamilton clearly can't be trusted in that regard after this incident.

I don't care what he did to "save" Pearl. In choosing to save himself and undermine our basketball program pre-tournament, he demonstrated a serious lack of judgment and proved unfit to lead Tennessee Athletics.

He can apologize all he wants. In the end, he's a liability. Retaining him after this will only make it harder to attract the best coach we can get to replace Pearl.

What are you saying? I do not think their is any way to convince a coach the ad will not be fired shortly after. However, you are right that if we do not have and ad when coach is being interviewed hurts. Having said that, I think Hamilton's future depends on how the football team does THIS SEASON!!!

I don't like all this talk about "when the next football hire comes around" as if Dooley won't be uber succesful. Are we that pessimistic?

Until he shows some form of success as a HFC, I'm going to continue to see him as the failure he's been up to this point. I'm hoping he proves me wrong.

Part of the job is how you approach and communicate with the public as the main representative of UTAD. Hamilton clearly can't be trusted in that regard after this incident.

I don't care what he did to "save" Pearl. In choosing to save himself and undermine our basketball program pre-tournament, he demonstrated a serious lack of judgment and proved unfit to lead Tennessee Athletics.

He can apologize all he wants. In the end, he's a liability. Retaining him after this will only make it harder to attract the best coach we can get to replace Pearl.

Of course it is, but there is plenty of evidence out there that the interview with Hyams was something that he was either told to do or was ok'd by the higher ups. And there's absolutely no way firing him makes it easier to find a coach than keeping him.

I see you are on a new campaign. What's next are you going to advocate firing the TBA janitor. Please just stop this crap and let everyone deal with what happened today. The majority of us wanted to keep Pearl and fire Hamilton. I hope you all are happy that you got what you want.

Almost nothing. However, there are plenty of reasons why we definitely won't be able to make a good hire if we ditch him right now. Even though he's failed on all his other hires, he's proven he can listen to people and then make a good basketball hire.

Well let's be honest here, if the NCAA hammers us (don't think for a second that this will save us) will Bruce be considered a "Good hire"....It's hard to call somebody that get's fired a "Good hire".

Pearl--as is should have. That's why he wasn't fired weeks ago. All this talk about sacking Hamilton is nonsense. He hired Pearl, who turned out to be our best basketball coach ever before making a very stupid decision--but it's also true that Slime and the ncaa seem to be holding us to a different standard than anybody else.

I'm not passing judgment on Hamilton's performance. I'm saying if you want a good coach in here, we should keep him.

I understand your point. However, one can make the counterpoint that they do not want to work for this level of incompetence. I see the whole hiring a new coach as a lose/lose when it comes to the Hamilton question.

VN Store

Back