$2M Buyout for Pearl

DocVol

Basillio and ESPN Knoxville just tweeted a buyout of $2,000,000 is in the works for Pearl. WTF, Hamilton?!

May as well get him on the Fulmer/Green pay plan. At least Tennessee will be the most leveraged team in the NCAA.

It is Haslams doing (money)....from a 'source'

"last week Pearl met with Jim Haslam as Pearl was made aware of his fate. They discussed a financial settlement and Pearl was planning to resign at the end of the season and made this known to some people last weekend."

And it's not a buyout. The program owes him nothing. It is just a sign of good faith for what he did for the program.

I was curious as to how he was going to get "bought out" when he didnt even have a contract.

Why would any coach not want to come to TN and coach. If it doesn't work out, they will be a millionaire when they leave. We must have the record for the amount of money we have paid coaches to leave and not coach.

You're right. This is just to keep this from getting ugly, and a sign of respect for how he brought the program back to a national level.
More specifically it's the school saying "thanks . . . And by the way here's a pile of cash if you'll just go away and sign this paper that says you won't waste our time with a frivolous lawsuit."

It's worth it to end the whole ordeal.

This. If he stand up tomorrow morning and resigns and does so while taking full responsibility, then I agree. Make him watch the Fulmer press conference and tell him to do opposite of that, and opposite of Fulmer's general attitude since.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This. If he stand up tomorrow morning and resigns and does so while taking full responsibility, then I agree. Make him watch the Fulmer press conference and tell him to do opposite of that, and opposite of Fulmer's general attitude since.

He should hire Vicky if he goes that route.

He has no realistic reason to be upset at UT. All this is his doing, not the administration at UT. With or without a settlement, he should leave grateful to UT for all the university did for him. We seem to forget that UT was very good to him and want to only focus that he was good.

He has no realistic reason to be upset at UT. All this is his doing, not the administration at UT. With or without a settlement, he should leave grateful to UT for all the university did for him. We seem to forget that UT was very good to him and want to only focus that he was good.

I agree completely! However, I don't know if that's the kind of guy he is, I know a lot of people love him and think he cares about UT, but if he truly did, he would do that. UT isn't his concern. I guess I won't go any further, but let's just say I don't feel he is that kind of man. However, if Jim Haslam wants to pay him 2 mil to end it, I have no issue with it, Haslam's money

I agree completely! However, I don't know if that's the kind of guy he is, I know a lot of people love him and think he cares about UT, but if he truly did, he would do that. UT isn't his concern. I guess I won't go any further, but let's just say I don't feel he is that kind of man. However, if Jim Haslam wants to pay him 2 mil to end it, I have no issue with it, Haslam's money

You are absolutely correct. I think he has proven that he is not that kind of man. All these folks who have bought in to the "he loves UT" crap don't seem to understand that he actually loves the limelight and salary that comes with the UT job. If he truly loved UT, he would have immediately resigned at the end of the season and not put the university through all this negative publicity. The man cares only about himself.

Maybe it is "hush" money..... Plus he still has to talk to the AA...... I would think UT wouldn't want him to be to miffed off at the university when he went before the AA.... :hi:

I was curious as to how he was going to get "bought out" when he didnt even have a contract.

It is to settle a potential lawsuit. You can say all you want about "no contract," but the course of dealings between the parties might say otherwise. Bruce coached this season, right? And, I assume UT paid him for those services, right?

Better to pay some money now, put this issue completely behind us, and move forward with getting a new coach and dealing with the NCAA.

My guess is that they will keep Hamilton around at least until the NCAA issue reached a final resolution. No need to change horses in midstream. My onle issue with that is that it means we will have to endure another Hamilton hire. He doesn't exactly have a good track record in that regard.

VN Store

Back