Why Pearl Has to Go and Why I'm Not Worried

tigervol9802

My thoughts on Pearl first - I think he's a good, although not great coach who is also a great salesman. His strongest asset is his personality that can affect an entire team and fanbase (the city of Evansville Indiana still worships him to this day for what he did at USI). His teams' play may drive me batty at times, but all in all I am thankful for what he has done for Tenenssee basketball. He was a perfect fit at a perfect time and made Tenenssee basketball recognizable nationwide through his personality, games scheduled, and remarkable wins. And as a fan who started following UT basketball as a kid at the end of Devoe's run, I am thankful.

But this is why he must go.

It's been stated over and over. You can read the LOA for yourself. He lied to the NCAA and at the bare minimum encouraged recruits and their parents to lie as well. It wasn't a "oops, I lied, I better correct that" event. The NCAA may be ridiculous and hypocritical, but there are two areas that they seem fairly consistent in their rulings - paying players and lying. They don't like either and will punish both severely. I don't know how else to get that accross to people who doesn't think it's a big deal as to what he did.

As a result of this, even with just a one year show cause, it would be very hard to ever regain traction to recruit and continue to build the program here. To the point that I don't think he would be able to do it. Constant negativity by commentators on TV and other media would take it's toll. It would be really hard to ever regain the trust and respect of the people you would have to have to go forward. Which leads me to reason #3....

Trust and respect. I was really waffling and despite of the above reasons had decided that at minimum I could handle a 20 game suspension or a one year show cause with Pearl because of what he had done. I might not 100% agree with it, but I could handle it. And then came the bump four days afer the infamous presser. And it wasn't so much the bump as much as it was that he didn't report it. That shows me that he is either 1) stupid, 2) arrogant, 3) a lying fraud, or 4) all of the above.

No matter which of these you choose with all that has happened it would be impossible to trust him fully as a fan, player, or employee of the university. A lot can be overlooked, but I don't care what business you are in, if you cannot trust someone working above/with/for you, then you need to part ways. My only shock is that he wasn't fired in November.

And here is why I'm not worried.

1. There is a foundation in place that wasn't here when Pearl got here. It may be a little unsettled right now, but there is one in place. This is a better job than it was in March 2005.
2. We've pumped a lot of money into facilities. Our bball facilities are about as top notch as they come. We're not going to be hiring a month before signing day and there won't be stipulations to keep members of this staff. That makes a difference.
3. We've got the money and have all but said we'll pay what it takes.
4. NCAA punishments aren't a surprise when they are announced. The UTAD has a decent enough of an idea of what they will be if Pearl it not coach. Coaches will not be caught totally off guard walking into this.
5. This isn't Doug Dickey hiring a basketball coach. This can't be said enough nor can it be emphasized that this is a large reason of UT's wandering in the basketball wasteland for so long.
6. Hamilton knows his job is on the line and if he doesn't make a great hire he knows what little thread he's still hanging onto will break. He's not going to target a Buzz or Wade.

There you have it. That's why even though I think this "sistution" totally sucks and wish it had never come to this, that I think UT will survived without Pearl.

That said, Bruce - go down kicking and screaming and take Michigan and Dook down on your way out.

Last edited:
the only problem i have is......

6. Hamilton knows his job is on the line and if he doesn't make a great hire he knows what little thread he's still hanging onto will break. He's not going to target a Buzz or Wade.

the reason being is that hamilton has plenty of capability to screw up the hire whether his job is on the line or not.

the only problem i have is......

the reason being is that hamilton has plenty of capability to screw up the hire whether his job is on the line or not.

Good thing the hire will not be solely up to Hamilton.

I'm still not convinced that Mike Hamilton will make the hire. I thought he might make it through until this week. By doing what he did, what coach would want to work for him?
Now, you not only have sanctions coming down, you can't trust your boss to back you. I am not saying that he should back Pearl, but if you were totally convinced he should be your coach a month ago, you still should be. Other than that, I totally agree with what you posted.

I'm still not convinced that Mike Hamilton will make the hire. I thought he might make it through until this week. By doing what he did, what coach would want to work for him?
Now, you not only have sanctions coming down, you can't trust your boss to back you. I am not saying that he should back Pearl, but if you were totally convinced he should be your coach a month ago, you still should be. Other than that, I totally agree with what you posted.

Hamilton has had Pearl's back until he found out he went behind his back and committed the "bump" infraction. How many times does someone have to lie to you in order for you to cut ties with them? I know I usually don't let it go past one.

Completely agree.

As much as I love what Bruce has done here, at this point it just seems like the best move for the basketball program is to start fresh.

Could someone enlighten me on the bump violation? The first I heard, the compliance office said it was no big deal. Now as I understand it, it was never reported to the compliance office. Which is correct? And if was never turned in to the compliance office, how did the 'AA find out about it?

Could someone enlighten me on the bump violation? The first I heard, the compliance office said it was no big deal. Now as I understand it, it was never reported to the compliance office. Which is correct? And if was never turned in to the compliance office, how did the 'AA find out about it?

It was never turned into compliance. And apparently, the 'AA uncovered it in their investigation.

It was not turned in and now after it is found out the Com. office and Hammy have tried to make it less then what it was but the NCAA will use it to drive one more nail into UT. I think UT feels if Pearl is gone NCAA will not come down as hard- case and point Kiff- if he was still here football would have a lot more to deal with. We may not like it but Pearl is gone.

OP is solid.

Maybe USI will take Pearl back and all of the Pearlophiles will become USI fans. Win-win situation.

VN Store

Back