U.S. Education Secretary Takes a Shot at Pearl

Voldemonium

Regarding low NCAA's APR numbers and tournament participation...

Tennessee men's coach Bruce Pearl suggested last year that Duncan should improve the nation's schools.

"Pearl got mad at me and said, 'Send me better kids,' which I'm happy to work on," Duncan said. "But you look at (Tennessee women's coach) Pat Summitt. She's frankly much more successful on the court than he is, and her players graduate."

Link

Not to defend Pearl, but referring to the woman's program graduation rate is apple and oranges.

Not to defend Pearl, but referring to the woman's program graduation rate is apple and oranges.

If only there was a study published...Oh...I don't know, two days ago.

An annual report by the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics shows all the women's teams graduated at least 50 percent of their players compared with 76 percent of the men's teams reaching the 50 percent mark.

In the women's tournament, 91 percent of the teams graduated at least 70 percent of their players, compared to 48 percent of the men's tourney teams.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/03/15/2116619/study-womens-ncaa-teams-outdo.html#ixzz1GrkfFs7H

Edit: The sarcasm was not directed at hohen, but at the Education Secretary who had to have seen that report.

Last edited:
Moot point. At least 7 graduates in last 2 years, including 5 this year. Don't even understand the APR deal if ky has 5 freshman leave in 1 yr and it's not affected. Graduation rate for students is @ 50%.

The Dept of Education is a waste of tax payer money and should be desolved anyway. Funding has gone up 190% from what it was 30 years ago and test scores have continued to drop. The Fed's need to stay out of education and let the state and locals handle it.

Cheap shot by the Ed Sec...if that is the best response he has, the schools are in trouble. I kinda of liked CBP's initial comment, apparently it hit home.

The Dept of Education is a waste of tax payer money and should be desolved anyway. Funding has gone up 190% from what it was 30 years ago and test scores have continued to drop. The Fed's need to stay out of education and let the state and locals handle it.

AMEN!!! To compare women's & men's basketball is a sure sign of ignorance...typical bureaucratic crapola. Shoe companies & AAU slime control NCAA men's bb.

I predict this quickly devolves into a political thread and gets moved into the politics forum.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I also predict that many posters don't read the article and jump on the comparison without realizing that he's saying mens basketball should become more like the womens' academics-wise.

I watch womens.

And so do the thousands who flock to TBA to watch the lady Vols.

yes and i and thousands watch cal's rugby team, but i'm not going to start comparing graduation rates with the sports 1,000X more people actually care about and that actually make the school money.

I think the Sec. of Education should probably focus on the problems with our schools at the high school level and below first.

yes and i and thousands watch cal's rugby team, but i'm not going to start comparing graduation rates with the sports 1,000X more people actually care about and that actually make the school money.

See my post. The context of the article shows that he wants the womens graduation rates to be a model for the mens. He wants the mens programs to have that level of graduation rate. Because *drumroll*

... He's the secretary of education. So theres nothing inane or vacuous about the comparison at all. Just another quote without context.

Apparently U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan thought it would be fun to pile on CBP yesterday. During his press conference about how college basketball needs to focus more on education, he took the following shot:

Tennessee men's coach Bruce Pearl suggested last year that Duncan should improve the nation's schools.

"Pearl got mad at me and said, 'Send me better kids,' which I'm happy to work on," Duncan said. "But you look at (Tennessee women's coach) Pat Summitt. She's frankly much more successful on the court than he is, and her players graduate."

Education chief: Low grad rate should mean no tourney invite - USATODAY.com

This does not strike me as apples to apples. I mean absolutely no disrespect to UT's one current national treasure, Coach Summit, but women's and men's basketball seem like two totally different animals. Your average 18-year-old female scholarship athlete is probably on a whole other planet maturity-wise than your average 18-year-old male scholarship athlete, but that's just my gut reaction. I have no real basis to judge.

Was Duncan's statement a fair comparison of job being done by UTK's two basketball coaches?

Take away the revenue that is generated by men's athletics and there would be no women'athletics. at UT. If you don't think so you have not been paying attention to funding in higher education in this state for the past 5 years.

VN Store

Back