Pearl, and then Hamilton axed?

kohlrums

Assuming Tennessee loses to either Michigan or Duke in round 1 or 2, and Pearl is let go with the next week the coaching search begins. I guess my first question is that if Hamilton's seat wasn't hot before-it's scorching now after yesterday's diarrhea of the mouth moment. If Pearl is let go quickly, is Hamilton even given the chance to hire a new coach, or is he fired first? We begin an AD search, and then the Bball coach search?

Has Hamilton somehow given himself another year of security due to the timing of this as an AD search would slow a coaching search to a crawl and potentially hurt a program that doesn't have to necessarily take a step back?

I'll be interested to hear opinions on this from those with sources inside UTAD.

LWS, Hat, et al
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Assuming Tennessee loses to either Michigan or Duke in round 1 or 2, and Pearl is let go with the next week the coaching search begins. I guess my first question is that if Hamilton's seat wasn't hot before-it's scorching now after yesterday's diarrhea of the mouth moment. If Pearl is let go quickly, is Hamilton even given the chance to hire a new coach, or is he fired first? We begin an AD search, and then the Bball coach search?

Has Hamilton somehow given himself another year of security due to the timing of this as an AD search would slow a coaching search to a crawl and potentially hurt a program that doesn't have to necessarily take a step back?

I don't think MH will be gone with BP. We can hire a good coach before we can hire a better AD. MH isn't the only one making a decision on hires. There is a lot of influence behind the AD. More than most might think. I think MH stays at least until we have a new coach. Looking for a new AD during spring and summer would be the best time to do so. I'd say MH staying past a new hire is 50-50. From a personal standpoint, the interview he gave was the worst possible timing. However, I think it was calculated to distance himself from BP to possibly save his job, and make it known during the tourney that we'll be looking for a new coach. Tourney time and directly after it's finished is the best time to look for a new coach. Just want this whole mess to be over with. I'm just sick of it.

My oppinion...sorry,no inside source.

Hamilton needs to be let go and his replacement should decide on Bruce's fate and hire our next coach if needed.

My oppinion...sorry,no inside source.

Hamilton needs to be let go and his replacement should decide on Bruce's fate and hire our next coach if needed.

Probably a lot more politics going on behind the scenes than we know. Please don't hire FCPF as AD, if so, I'll have to change schools to support; NO WAY could I support that! Bruce failing to sign a new contract apparently that was presented to him is one factor I imagine. Possibility of the bump rule not disclosed another. In any case, comments released now right before the tournament by Hamilton is suicide. I hope BP beats Michigan and upsets Duke to make Hamilton choke on his less than gratuitious comments right before the tournament and I wouldn't blame Bruce for telling TN to shove it afterward. Sad state of affairs. I'm drifting toward the "Fire Hamilton" group now. Even if there were more violations uncovered now was not the time to show lack of support for the coach & players because they're tied together.:cray:

I'm a football fan more than a basketball fan, but columnists seem to be saying March is the best time to hire a basketball coach. So, we need to get that done now regardless of who is the AD. However, if the guy who hired both Bruce Pearl and Lane Kiffin is not fired something is seriously wrong. If we keep Hamilton, we are saying fund raising is more important than the programs for which the funds are used. However, Hamiliton can only stink the place up for so long before the doners are turned off.

The search for the next BB coach at U.T. has already began. In fact, I would guess that it started as soon as it was revealed that Pearl violated the "Bump Rule" Hamilton will use the NCAA toruney time to gauge the interest of other coaches. Once Hamiton has a good hire set up, he will fire Pearl.

Probably a lot more politics going on behind the scenes than we know. Please don't hire FCPF as AD, if so, I'll have to change schools to support; NO WAY could I support that! Bruce failing to sign a new contract apparently that was presented to him is one factor I imagine. Possibility of the bump rule not disclosed another. In any case, comments released now right before the tournament by Hamilton is suicide. I hope BP beats Michigan and upsets Duke to make Hamilton choke on his less than gratuitious comments right before the tournament and I wouldn't blame Bruce for telling TN to shove it afterward. Sad state of affairs. I'm drifting toward the "Fire Hamilton" group now. Even if there were more violations uncovered now was not the time to show lack of support for the coach & players because they're tied together.:cray:

I have "supported" Hamilton also....past tense.

I'll be interested to hear opinions on this from those with sources inside UTAD.

LWS, Hat, et al
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I will too. I know Hamilton is smarter than what he did yesterday. It just doesn't make sense to me. I have been on his side for a long time, I'm starting to waiver now.

Watching Pearl's comments now - Hamilton has basically screwed the pooch. Pearl is now pissed so even it was possible for him to stay, he won't. He's crippled his BB coach and squad heading into the NCAA Tournament. He looks like a fool for the timing of his remarks.

I'm not sure it would be possible to mishandle this more than he has. MH should be let go along with BP, then let the successor choose the basketball coach. It will essentially kill the hoops program for 3+ years, but it's of Hamilton's doing. IN the irony of ironies, Hamilton built the BB program up, and he has torn it down.

I'm not sure what MH was thinking or if he was. Timing for hiring a new coach is right if UT already knows the sanctions w/o Pearl. If sanctions are still unknown, what coach in his right mind would take the job?

I'm not sure what MH was thinking or if he was. Timing for hiring a new coach is right if UT already knows the sanctions w/o Pearl. If sanctions are still unknown, what coach in his right mind would take the job?

Not too many. And that's what all the morons on here don't understand.

I think this, along with the recent news of the bump rule, and maybe some pressure from the powers that be on Hamilton are why he did what he did Wednesday. This in now way excuses what he did, but may be the reason. Hubbs and Lewis on VQ have been saying all along UT has been communicating with the NCAA since the letter about what possible punishments would be. I do think there is/was a method to the recent madness, however I think MH screwed it up yesterday.

I have "supported" Hamilton also....past tense.

Should Hamilton go, I'm afraid that might need to be the case. Why? Because even if Bruce stayed what kind of support does that say about the administration when the AD supports you one minute then canned the coach the next minute? If you were a recruit, would you really want to go to a school where they can't keep their head out of their rear end from one minute to the next? Everyone makes mistakes but not sure this one is forgiveable even though Hamilton has back-tracked and supposedly apoligized to Pearl. I'm thinking if I were Pearl, it would be Hamilton goes or I go at this point. Sure would like to see us beat Michigan and upset Duke just to rub it in Hamilton's face at this point. I say bring Layla back as AD. Woo-Hoo! Anyone want to vote on that?:dance2:

Why would a new athletic director want to come in and face the heat our football and b-ball programs are currently facing? Has anybody thought about that.

Why would a new athletic director want to come in and face the heat our football and b-ball programs are currently facing? Has anybody thought about that.

There won't be much heat if Pearl is let go, and the LOA named Kiffin, and not the program for football. TN could get off pretty light considering the major infractions in bball.

VN Store

Back