Why Mike Anderson? Would be a Step Backwards

Volstylexx

I've seen a lot on the forum tossing around Mike Anderson as a top choice for TN if BP leaves, get fired.

Someone please tell me why we would even want Mike Anderson? Missouri fans are fuming over their end of season collapse. When was the last time Missouri won a NC?

Mike Anderson's 2007 Team - 18-12 (7-9)Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2008 Team - 16-16 (6-10) Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2009 Team - 31-7 (12-4) Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2010 Team - 23-11 (10-6) Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2011 Team - 23-10 (8-8) Conf.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. Why ditch Pearl for someone worse? Would be a step backwards in my opinion.

We do not have a choice about keeping Pearl. Since when has a past national championship been a requirement? Big 12 has been a lot more competitive than the SEC since 07.

We do not have a choice about keeping Pearl. Since when has a past national championship been a requirement? Big 12 has been a lot more competitive than the SEC since 07.

I saw a stat last week (will link it if no one believes me) from Bernie Milkalliz of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. Since Bill Self took over in Kansas, they have a 17 game lead over the secodn best record in the conference in that time.

Not saying a NC is a pre-requisite. .. just saying that a lot of people here want Mike Anderson.. and I just don't buy it.

How is he a step back?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

How is he a step forward?

He has a worse record than Pearl. And hasn't advanced any further in the NCAA than Pearl. His accomplishments have been One Sweet 16, and One elite 8.

He has a worse record than Pearl. And hasn't advanced any further in the NCAA than Pearl. His accomplishments have been One Sweet 16, and One elite 8.

His record and resume is similar to Pearl's. Not to mention he runs a clean program

What are Pearl's greatest accomplishments? Missouri is the South Carolina of Big XII basketball.

Both Pearl and Mike Hamilton need to be fired period. There are enough money people at UT to get an excellent replacement. UT basketball will be competitive after Pearl is gone.

He has done more with his talent than Pearl has and I could care less about his regular season record. If hes always in the tourny and hes done just as much as Pearl in the tourny how is it a step back? Also hes never been caught lying to the NCAA.

He has done more with his talent than Pearl has and I could care less about his regular season record. If hes always in the tourny and hes done just as much as Pearl in the tourny how is it a step back? Also hes never been caught lying to the NCAA.

Well i guess it's back to Mediocrity for TN basketball. I can't wait!!!!!!

If you are harping on bp's teams lack of fundamentals, but want Anderson, you are confused. If you want chaos and running, then Anderson is a good hire for you.

But we had a clean program, and that's what matter. No illegal bbqs or lieing occured until 2006.

I doubt the bbq was the first time he broke the rules while he was here

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I'm not buying it. Why ditch Pearl for someone worse? Would be a step backwards in my opinion.
I think Anderson would be an upgrade. However, you seem to be missing the point. Getting a new coach isn't just about upgrading, it's also about getting rid of Pearl.

Well i guess it's back to Mediocrity for TN basketball. I can't wait!!!!!!

Ok this is not directed at you specifically but so many people who believe that just because Bruce Pearl leaves the program will be in the tank again. Bruce Pearl is not the best coach in the country, quit acting like he is, yes he has done A TON for the basketball program but anyone can be replaced. No, i'm not a Bruce Pearl fan but i do respect what he has done and he has made it easier on his successor (Anthony Grant Please). Tennessee is now a proven winner with top of the line facilities, they will be able to attract a good coach and good recruits (legally). So please to anyone who thinks the basketball program is done, STOP. He is not a good X's and O's coach. Period. Yes he can recruit and if I to have one coach when i needed to motivate my team Pearl would be on the top of my list cause he thrives in the underdog role but when it comes down to straight coaching and end of game scenarios he is not good at all. Tennessee basketball will stay strong for a long time, just relax.

I've seen a lot on the forum tossing around Mike Anderson as a top choice for TN if BP leaves, get fired.

Someone please tell me why we would even want Mike Anderson? Missouri fans are fuming over their end of season collapse. When was the last time Missouri won a NC?

Mike Anderson's 2007 Team - 18-12 (7-9)Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2008 Team - 16-16 (6-10) Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2009 Team - 31-7 (12-4) Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2010 Team - 23-11 (10-6) Conf.
Mike Anderson's 2011 Team - 23-10 (8-8) Conf.

I think he is brought up because folks wanta return tio the full court game. I say Keep Bruce if at all cost possible. if not swing for the fences and go get pitino for what ever it cost.

He took over programs from the likes of Murry Bartow and Quinn Snyder and turned them into consistant 'AA tournament teams. After getting rid of the filth that Snyder brought in, he has done a commendable job at Mizzou. He's well regarded in the coaching community. Hell, he took UAB to the sweet sixteen.

If we have Mike Anderson, and the talent difference is anywhere close, we'll beat UK at least half the time. Calipari does not want Anderson in this league.

VN Store

Back