Pearl's Already Gone: The Exit Strategy Hypothesis

Tenacious D

Hypothesis:
Bruce Pearl and Tennessee have mutually agreed to part ways at season's end, for their respective best interests. In consideration of the severance package he receives, Pearl agrees not to accept another college coaching position for two years (add'l requirements would prevent his return to the SEC for 3-5 years).

For Mike Hamilton:
It prevents the embattled AD from having to terminate Pearl - his lone crown jewel - as such would likely seal his own fate, as well. Perhaps most importantly, it allows Hamilton to hire a coach at the absolute best time of the year (March - early April), instead of the worst (September), when the receipt of sanctions would likely be received, and Pearl was hit with a two-year show cause order. I don't know if Hamilton ultimately survives all of this, but he at least lives to fight another day, for sure.

For Bruce Pearl:
Of the 20 others who have been slapped with an unethical conduct charge for lying to the 'AA (as Pearl did), 19 have been hit with a "show cause" order, essentially, preventing their return to coaching for a period of time (1-2 years). In the one instance where such was avoided, the guilty party was no longer working in coaching or at the collegiate level when the penalties were announced, and the 'AA deemed it unnnecessary. In light of his severance agreement with UT (and its prohibition against his return to collegiate coaching for two years) the 'AA finds it equally unnecessary to hit Pearl with a show cause order - and he narrowly avoids the attachment of that stigma which would all but guarantee that he would never again have an opportunity to coach at the D1 level of a major conference. So, for two years, Pearl either does television or simply works to line up his next college coaching gig, or most likely, both. Pearl can say that his decision to leave Tennessee is for the betterment of the school and the men's basketball program, and hopes that doing so of his own volition will serve to protect his legacy here.

For the Assistants:
Gone. The lot of them. Scattered to the wind.

Tennessee's Pending 'AA Sanctions:
The LOA was telling, insofar as the most serious allegations were aimed directly at the involved coaches themselves, and not at the program(s). And when you consider that those three coaches (Pearl, Kiffin and Reaves) will no longer be employed by the University, either at the time of the hearing or in the determination of penalties, it seems likely that the punishments will follow the same formula. In Pearl's particular case, Tennessee claims that they took both drastic and immediate action soon after being notified of his actions in misleading investigators, most notably in terminating his contract. However, given its close proximity to the upcoming season, and the fact that the entirety of the assistant coaching staff was also similiarly involved, they felt that his immediate and outright dismissal was all but impossible. They will almost certainly assert that prohibiting Pearl and Jones' from any off-campus recruiting was not for punitive purposes alone, but a protective one as well, as this offered the UTAD with the greatest oversight to ensure that no further or similiar violations occurred. Tennessee will argue that they have already essentially forfeited an entire season, have (technically) fired the all-time winningest coach in the history of the program, and do not deserve more severe or additional punishments. Mike Slive will be certain that this argument does not fall on deaf or unsympathetic ears, to be sure. And, if you think that the UTAD / Hamilton are somehow above throwing a coach (deservedly or not) under the bus to protect the program(s), just ask Kiffin's thoughts on the matter as he enters the 'AA's HQ to appear before the COI in June. While neither the football nor basketball programs go entirely unscathed, the severity of their punishment will be infinitely less than it would have been, were those coaches still in place.

Bonus Prediction: Nothing happens to Kiffin, whatsoever, and if something does start to stick, it lands on Reaves, instead. My $.02

For the Next Head Coach:
As described earlier, take out those allegations which are specifically attached to a single coach, and not the basketball program itself in the course of the LOA and what do you have left? Essentially, an innocuous listing of secondary violations - none of which offer so much as a hint that major sanctions are forthcoming, or perhaps even possible. See how that was explained to you in two easy sentences? Well, that's how its being similiarly explained right now (as in, while you are reading this) to prospective hires, and it seems difficult to imagine that any serious candidate would be so overly concerned with them as to refuse the job (they will use it as leverage in negotiating terms and salary, but that's about it. So who does Tennessee hire? Outside of a few people here, who can identify themselves if they wish (but I will not) - few could even name the serious candidates to be considered. But I will say this: It will be a homerun. Like many here, the UTAD all too easily remembers the 20 years of wandering in the desert, understands the momentum that the program currently has (even despite all of this mess), and will do whatever it takes to see that it doesn't simply evaporate. They will target 2-3 candidates, and the dollar amounts will grow larger and larger until one of them buys an orange tie and agrees to show up to the presser. How best to define my interpretation of "homerun" - it will be someone who is welcomed by 90% of the fanbase, including both Hat and those who have most ardently defended Pearl to this point?

So, this is all purely hypothetical, of course. But I predict that you'll see this unfold shortly after Tennessee loses to Michigan in the first round (or, God help us, to Duke in the second), and just as some of the most reliable posters (i.e. LWS, Hat, BMFPV, etc.) have already alluded to.

I'd welcome any constructive feedback or criticisms to those elements which you believe that I may have missed, or simply got wrong.

I've said it for some time. Resigning is the best possible scenario for all parties involved. Just hope that people realize that Pearl won't do it because "he bleeds orange." He'll do it because it's the only chance he has to save face.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Pretty good write up.

I see Pearl "resigning"......and I think MH will be out as well

GREAT write-up. I agree about the resignation before firing or show-cause penalty. It won't be long. Probably sooner than any of us would bet. I'm willing to say the over/under on how many days after we exit the tourney before CBP leaves is 15. I'm taking under.

Pearl and Hamilton both gone by Monday. My 1 cent worth! Will be off by a week "IF" the team makes it through the weekend.

Excellent post. Just wish it was all true. Pearl would do himself and the university a favor by following this hypothesis completely. As for MH, I hope he stays as he will give us the best chance for a home-run hire. No question that Fulmer would seek the job if MH left. That's the last thing we need.

Tenacious D: True most people have an opinion and yours is noted. I would think that trying to value yours as with being an hypothesis is somewhat over the top. I for one do not believe there is a word of truth in it. UT is not stupid. I think when they reduced BP salary they were showing NCAA that they were willing to police their institution. We all agree that cheating is not condoned. However, there are degrees of cheating. From what I have read BP cheating does not reach the level of cheating that has been proven by past incidents. Telephone calls to recruits from coaching staffs are the norm. If you don't think so than let us have investigation of all of the programs nation wide and let us see what falls out. Had BP let his interview with the NCAA stand that could have been lying, but he amended his statments before conclusions where reached. I believe that in a court of law that would not be perjury. From My experience in being a studen at UT over 50years ago and following UT for these many years I believe that UT keeps Coach Pearl and moves on . I do believe that the name of VolNation should be change to NEGAVOLS!

Sounds very realistic. I agree that the resignation is the best for all. Not sure about Hamilton though for right now. The timing is bad to lose an AD at the time you're looking for a new coach. Of course, the real choice of a next coach would come more from the big boosters than the AD himself. Let the dust settle, get a good coach at the best time to get one, then Hamilton resigns. That way, we could look for an AD during the spring and summer. That choice needs some time to get the RIGHT guy, and spring/summer would be the best time for that.

Why in the hell did Mike Slive suspend him for 8 games if he knew the NCAA would give a harsher penalty? If this is true then I'm going to be highly upset that the SEC runied this season for us knowing that Bruce would be gone at the end of the season anyway.

Last edited:
Interesting theory but I don't buy it. There hasn't been any new info in months and the facts of the situation haven't changed since prior to the season. Imo if Pearl didn't get canned in September, there's nothing new to change Hamilton's position now.

Interesting theory but I don't buy it. There hasn't been any new info in months and the facts of the situation haven't changed since prior to the season. Imo if Pearl didn't get canned in September, there's nothing new to change Hamilton's position now.

I hope your right.

I have thought this would be the best "out' for some time and its the only way I see MH surviving.

franchuck, I would like to get your opinion as to why BP hasn't signed a contract.

Pearl will never voluntarily quit..... No chance. If he does there would be ZERO severance. We would HAVE TO fire him.

Unless the contract has changed greatly he would get paid if they fired him because of a buyout clause. No way Bruce walks away for free. Also no way would we offer him severance because of the allegations and the pending NCAA resolution to all that has happened.

Why in the hell did Mike Slive suspend him for 8 games if he knew the NCAA would give a harsher penalty? If this is true then I'm going to be highly upset that the SEC runied this season for us knowing that Bruce would be gone a the end of the year anyway.
There's just no way you can blame this season on the SEC.

when Griff puts BP's status of returning at 60% the winds blowing out of Knoxville have indeed changed.

Pearl will never voluntarily quit..... No chance. If he does there would be ZERO severance. We would HAVE TO fire him.

Unless the contract has changed greatly he would get paid if they fired him because of a buyout clause. No way Bruce walks away for free. Also no way would we offer him severance because of the allegations and the pending NCAA resolution to all that has happened.
he has no contract

when Griff puts BP's status of returning at 60% the winds blowing out of Knoxville have indeed changed.
maybe so but I don't get it. Why in the world would they subject the program to this if they were going to force him out anyway? They could have canned him in September or at
least suspended him and made things easier.

Tenacious D: True most people have an opinion and yours is noted. I would think that trying to value yours as with being an hypothesis is somewhat over the top. I for one do not believe there is a word of truth in it. UT is not stupid. I think when they reduced BP salary they were showing NCAA that they were willing to police their institution. We all agree that cheating is not condoned. However, there are degrees of cheating. From what I have read BP cheating does not reach the level of cheating that has been proven by past incidents. Telephone calls to recruits from coaching staffs are the norm. If you don't think so than let us have investigation of all of the programs nation wide and let us see what falls out. Had BP let his interview with the NCAA stand that could have been lying, but he amended his statments before conclusions where reached. I believe that in a court of law that would not be perjury. From My experience in being a studen at UT over 50years ago and following UT for these many years I believe that UT keeps Coach Pearl and moves on . I do believe that the name of VolNation should be change to NEGAVOLS!

You may very well be correct. However, you are completely wrong on lying. If you lie in court, it would definitely be perjury and I don't know that a court would be pleased if you came back later when you were caught and decided to tell the truth. No way to defend Pearl on lying.

maybe so but I don't get it. Why in the world would they subject the program to this if they were going to force him out anyway? They could have canned him in September or at
least suspended him and made things easier.
Guilty or not Pearl lost some favor over the bump rule controversy. The season tanked after a promising start and the unsigned contract has ticked more than a few off.

Add a win over Michigan and an upset against Duke, and this is the best possible way for the next 2-3 weeks to play out. A resignation that allows both to save face, a homerun new hire, and a summer not worried about sanctions.

he has no contract

Right but all the back and forth with the pending contract do you honestly think that the there is not a memorandum stating he will recieve compensation for what portions he was around this season? Truth is nobody knows what it says honestly.... but there is no way after being burned by the poor language in X's contract that Pearl just quits and doesn't have a buyout.

CD12:
I think that BP and UT are waiting on the final report from NCAA and to how UT winds up in the tournament. There is a possibility that TN can win it all. It is not likely but as long as they are playing there is a chance.If UT should win it all, what kind of pressure do you think UT would be under to keep BP? or if they made a decent run in the tournament? If unfair decisions are forthcoming at the NCAA, I would think that there are chances that legal actions could ensue. NCAA is not without faults. In the past there have been lawsuits against the NCAA that have warranted court settelments.

It's easier to hire a coach after the season than in September.

VN Store

Back