Whether its Tennessee or somewhere else, Pearl will come back stronger than ever.

More power to him as long as he comes back stronger somewhere else. His history would indicate that this will not be the end of NCAA issues.

You're right.

It only took 9 years as a head coach at a D2 school and 4 years at a Horizon league school before he got a job at a school as the people here who love Pearl point out had never done anything.

You're right.

It only took 9 years as a head coach at a D2 school and 4 years at a Horizon league school before he got a job at a school as the people here who love Pearl point out had never done anything.

Right. If he follows that path again, he'll be hitting the big time again when he's about 70.

I predict he will go to the NBA as an assistant or take a mid major head coaching job.

I predict he will end up back in the SEC one day if he is fired. Get ready for South Carolina Head Coach Bruce Pearl (or plug in another sucky SEC team with a shady past).

I read this before but reallly nice article. I wonder if Coach Pearl still acts the same with his players? Taking them on the boat, lifting with them ect... I just hope he hasn't become too humble and not hungry anymore.

Yeah and when he committed this "coaching suicide" the first time he had never even been a coach. And he was still able to work his way up. Cool comparison though guys.

It's so comforting to know that Pearl insists on making the right decisions and doing what's right. That also includes never cheating at any thing. His players and everyone has learned a great deal from Pearl's example.

LOL at this thread. If Pearl gets canned (which is likely), his career in D1 is over.

Remind me again what college coaching job Kelvin Sampson has held in the last three years.

LOL at this thread. If Pearl gets canned (which is likely), his career in D1 is over.

Remind me again what college coaching job Kelvin Sampson has held in the last three years.

Lol at your point. So because Sampson hasn't gotten a job in 3 years that means Pearl will never get one?

Yeah and when he committed this "coaching suicide" the first time he had never even been a coach. And he was still able to work his way up. Cool comparison though guys.

But I thought Tennessee was a terrible job w/out him? I mean, he is UT bball and all.

I mean, if coaching at a historically decrepid bball program is working your way up, then I guess he has done it.

Maybe next time he'll make it to Northwestern.

obi-wan-kenobi-01-large.jpg

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

Find where I said that Pearl will never get another college job.

Anybody that thinks a major school is going to come calling when/if Pearl gets the axe is kidding themselves. Not sure why the dude is even arguing that.

Anyone who thinks that some desperate program isn't going to come after one of the games great program changers somewhere down the line is kidding themselves.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks that some desperate program is going to come after one of the games great program changers somewhere down the line is kidding themselves.

It just depends if that school considers winning on a marginal level to be worth the risk.

Anyone who thinks that some desperate program is going to come after one of the games great program changers somewhere down the line is kidding themselves.

If you are talking about Division 2 desperate programs, then yes, you have a point.

Last edited:
There's a pretty standard template for the way that shame usually plays out in American sports. First the disgraced person disappears for a year. Then he shows up on ESPN for awhile. Then he takes a low-level job for awhile, has some success, and only THEN is he considered rehabilitated enough for a high-profile job again. I can completely see Auburn or somebody being willing to hire him, but he's going to have to go through the shame cycle first.

Pearl's about to turn 51. If he can't figure out a way to keep this Tennessee job, he's going to lose a giant chunk of the decent working years he has left while in exile. By the time he works his way back up to an Auburn-type job, he'd be 57 or 58. I can easily see him getting very comfortable in an ESPN-type gig (where he'd be very good, obviously) and just settling into that instead.

Last edited:
I predict he will end up back in the SEC one day if he is fired. Get ready for South Carolina Head Coach Bruce Pearl (or plug in another sucky SEC team with a shady past).

This is one of those times where I hope I am not picking up on sarcasm, because you can't mean this.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back