Could another coach...

G0V0LS33

get more out of this team and to be honest the last few teams we have had?...I for one think that we would not go near as deep on the bench and another coach no matter who would play specific players a lot more than they do now...Just want to know what Volnation's opinion might be about how the team would be with a new staff in place.

Not sure any coach could make up for the loss of scoring production by McBee and Tatum this year.
Even when we've held teams to less than 60 points we've lost because no one has stepped up.

i guess your talking about next year's team. we don't know what the future holds, but let's take worst case. if harris and hopson leave and we have only jones and ware as newbies, larry brown would not be able to get what is left to a .500 record. starting five probably would be : golden, hall, tatum, ware and maymon. the bench would be very thin. i hate to think about what this group would be up against, and no staff could coach them to a decent record. let's just hope the AA doesn't kill the program, hoppy and harris stay and we sign at least 1 good post player. i'm afraid, though that isn't going to happen. only time will tell (probably about 3 months ) if you talking about this year's team, it doesn't matter about a new staff. the season will thankfully be over in a week or so. just want it to end. sorry

Last edited:
Not sure any coach could make up for the loss of scoring production by McBee and Tatum this year.
Even when we've held teams to less than 60 points we've lost because no one has stepped up.

One could argue that is coaching, and that another coach wouldn't let McBee on the court though.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Answer me this.. What about this team makes them so special? Did u all honestly think we would perform the same as last year? We had no leader coming in, and are relying on two players (one freshman, and one with NO drive to be the best on the court). Scotty could score at will if he wanted, but he doesn't demand the ball and command the court like he was expected to do.

I think we finished about where we were supposed to, that's what get with inconsistent teams. You win some you weren't supposed to win, and lose some u weren't supposed to lose. C'mon guys.. This is reality. Join me here.

Answer me this.. What about this team makes them so special? Did u all honestly think we would perform the same as last year? We had no leader coming in, and are relying on two players (one freshman, and one with NO drive to be the best on the court). Scotty could score at will if he wanted, but he doesn't demand the ball and command the court like he was expected to do.

I think we finished about where we were supposed to, that's what get with inconsistent teams. You win some you weren't supposed to win, and lose some u weren't supposed to lose. C'mon guys.. This is reality. Join me here.

I guess my expectations got up due to top 10 class and hearing our coach brag about this being his most talented team and having the kind of players he wants for his system.

And if you called this team having this record before the year then you are spectacular

This sort of speculation is pointless.

You do realize that this is a message board and most of the stuff on here is speculative and pointless right? Haha. Just messing with ya

not according to all the pre season magazines, etc. all of them had us in the top 15 and mine i bought had us back in the elite 8. it did sum up by saying that a lot had to come together, but they thought with the talent, coaching, etc that it would.

I'm sure there is a coach who could.....who that is, I don't know.

not according to all the pre season magazines, etc. all of them had us in the top 15 and mine i bought had us back in the elite 8. it did sum up by saying that a lot had to come together, but they thought with the talent, coaching, etc that it would.

Bingo! Also,I guess we assumed our players who have been here 2-4 years would show some kind of improvement as well. Seen very little of that. Another coach may have brought on a scorer from 10 minutes from campus as well. This isn't meant to be criticsim of the staff but a speculation of what another coach may do differently.

get more out of this team and to be honest the last few teams we have had?...I for one think that we would not go near as deep on the bench and another coach no matter who would play specific players a lot more than they do now...Just want to know what Volnation's opinion might be about how the team would be with a new staff in place.

No.

Coud another coach get more production out of this year's team? Yes, not sure who specifically, but probably someone not under investigation for lying to the NCAA.

Could another coach have gotten more production out the last three teams? No. Those teams vastly overachieved anyone with any sense could tell you that.

This team has more defensive ability than AL and was half the defensive team. Somebody could have brought that and rebounding out of this squad.

Coud another coach get more production out of this year's team? Yes, not sure who specifically, but probably someone not under investigation for lying to the NCAA.

Could another coach have gotten more production out the last three teams? No. Those teams vastly overachieved anyone with any sense could tell you that.

Yeah, i didn't pay attentionto the OP. Thought he was talking about this season. I think another coach could have this season because I think there have been so many distractions and other factors that are Pearl's making and his mind hasn't been on bball mainly.

Do I think another coach could have gotten more of the last few teams? Not at all. I think players' personalities on past teams responded to Pearl's style. My opinion

Yes. But Pearl could have as well if he hadn't abandoned his style 3 years ago.

Yes. But Pearl could have as well if he hadn't abandoned his style 3 years ago.

Last year's team would have been beaten senseless trying to play uptempo. The current squad would probably be worse.

On what planet did the '08-'09 overachieve?

I could have sworn that most people picked us to finish around 4th in the east. I don't remember seeing anyone say we would be back in the elite 8.

These very same boards were up in arms (myself included) because we were picked to finish so low. No one could understand that after the Elite 8 run last year and with the recruiting class we had that we could be anything but better than last year. I guess the "experts" get it right or close to it once in a while.

Let's just hope that everything will settle out in our favor or at least that Tressel's little faux pax will take the attention off of UT.

Beat Arkansas and whip the Gators and we can try to salvage the season!

VN Store

Back