Are we on the bubble?

CarrytheFight

Surely we arent going to feel safe sitting there at 18-14. Do we need to beat Arkansas? Florida too?

we're on the bubble if we lose to Arkansas just because they're so bad and you can't lose to them twice - but no - we don't need to beat Florida.

I think the last thing the NCAA wants to see is Pearl get in that tourney and make a deep run. I'm not sure we don't need multiple victories to leave no doubt that we belong. If they can justify leaving us out, they may do it.

Last edited:
We're not on the bubble and it doesn't matter what happens in the SECT.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If we lose to Arkansas, we're on the bubble. Even in that case, we're probably still in off the bubble, but we would need to worry about bid-stealers in other conference tournaments, and we might get stuck with a First Four game.

Beat Arkansas, and we're in no questions asked.

Our wins are getting weaker and weaker as days go on. Villanova is gone. That is nothing more than a solid win anymore. We have alot of good wins, but only 1 elite win and we would be 11-14 on our last 25 with a loss to Arkansas.

funny how everyone clings to the wins at the beginning of the season. If we lose to Arkansas in the SEC tournament the only NCAA tournament we will be in is the womens.

Define "bubble.". If it's being one of the last 8 in/out then we're not on the bubble. If it's one of the last 12-16, then sure we're on the bubble.

As to "bid stealers," almost every major conference would have to have a "bid stealer" win the conference tournament. I don't see that happening.

Bottom line, we're in the NCAAT (now field of 68).

I think the last thing the NCAA wants to see is Pearl get in that tourney and make a deep run. I'm not sure we don't need multiple victories to leave no doubt that we belong. If they can justify leaving us out, they may do it.

I agree, and losing to Ark gives them the justification they need. Going 8-9 in SEC play and losing the last 2, is a good way to get left out.

Define "bubble.". If it's being one of the last 8 in/out then we're not on the bubble. If it's one of the last 12-16, then sure we're on the bubble.

As to "bid stealers," almost every major conference would have to have a "bid stealer" win the conference tournament. I don't see that happening.

Well when all you have left is conference tournaments I would say that anyone with any doubt is on the bubble. I'm not sure how we would know exactly where we stand as far as lat 8 in, last 12 in, or whatever.

Our resume is too strong. Too many wins against top-50 rpi teams.
Well when all you have left is conference tournaments I would say that anyone with any doubt is on the bubble. I'm not sure how we would know exactly where we stand as far as lat 8 in, last 12 in, or whatever.

Right now, we're a 10 seed (according, at least, to one major projection). At best, there are 6 teams between us and the first four. So we're in the last 8-12 in right now. If we lose to Arkansas, I can easily see us falling to the last 8 in, which is the bubble. At that point, it's not at all hard to fathom a couple of bid stealers knocking us into the First Four games, even though we're probably still in the tournament.

Agreed. In the NCAAT.
Right now, we're a 10 seed (according, at least, to one major projection). At best, there are 6 teams between us and the first four. So we're in the last 8-12 in right now. If we lose to Arkansas, I can easily see us falling to the last 8 in, which is the bubble. At that point, it's not at all hard to fathom a couple of bid stealers knocking us into the First Four games, even though we're probably still in the tournament.

Lunardi has us as an 9 seed and Palm has us in as a 10. A loss to Arky won't help, but may not keep us out. I think UT has earned some respect over the last few years by their showing in the tourney.

Lunardi says we are "solid" and is giving us an 85 percent chance of making the field.

I agree with the sentiment that we are probably getting in, but losing to Arkansas would leave it in the hands of the Committee. As has been said, we'd be 8-9 in the league. I am concerned that if it's anywhere close, they will choose to leave us out this year to keep Bruce out. If we beat Arkansas, then our seed, region, site, and opponent will be the only things left for the Committee to decide.

Last edited:
Lunardi has Tennessee as a 9 seed as of today.

RPI: 35
SOS: 2
Last 12: 6-6

Tennessee does have 7 losses to teams with an RPI above 51+, including 3 of those who were 101+

VN Store

Back