The Section 103 Postgame Report.

hatvol96

1. That was a fitting end to this regular season. Yet another in a long line of disjointed messes.
2. Finishing at .500 in this year's SEC is a disgrace for Tennessee. There's no way that roster shouldn't win more than it loses in this pathetic league.
3. UT missed a big opportunity this year. That will be the worst team John Calipari ever has at Kentucky.
4. Tobias Harris was brilliant for the first 15 minutes today. He was near invisible thereafter.
5. The end of the first half was a illustration of what's wrong with this team. A wasted possession and a failure to get back on defense creates a four point swing.
6. Scotty Hopson was not as effective as he has been. That was because he was mostly guarded by an elite defender.
7. Josh Harrellson had a huge impact on the game without scoring a single point. His offensive rebounding down the stretch was a difference maker.
8. Darius Miller had his usual sound game against Tennessee. The orange jersey brings out his best.
9. Kenny Hall had his best performance in a long time. Sadly, he wiped most of the positive away with that ridiculous 19 foot attempt.
10. Allan Houston is pure class. I'm proud he's a UT product.

Last edited:
Good post. Totally hit it on number 7. Difference of the game IMO

Nicely put Hat. Lots of ?'s about this years team and Bruce. Going to be an interesting year of Tennessee hoops.

1. That was a fitting end to this regular season. Yet another in a long like of disjointed messes.
2. Finishing at .500 in this year's SEC is a disgrace for Tennessee. There's no way that roster shouldn't win more than it loses in this pathetic league.
3. UT missed a big opportunity this year. That will be the worst team John Calipari ever has at Kentucky.
4. Tobias Harris was brilliant for the first 15 minutes today. He was near invisible thereafter.
5. The end of the first half was a illustration of what's wrong with this team. A wasted possession and a failure to get back on defense creates a four point swing.
6. Scotty Hopson was not as effective as he has been. That was because he was mostly guarded by an elite defender.
7. Josh Harrellson had a huge impact on the game without scoring a single point. His offensive rebounding down the stretch was a difference maker.
8. Darius Miller had his usual sound game against Tennessee. The orange jersey brings out his best.
9. Kenny Hall had his best performance in a long time. Sadly, he wiped most of the positive away with that ridiculous 19 foot attempt.
10. Allan Houston is pure class. I'm proud he's a UT product.

YES! to 6 and 9. but question for number 2. I dont think the SEC is an elite league by any means, but with the strong chance of having at least a tie for most teams in the tourney outside of the big east, what conference is THAT much better?

YES! to 6 and 9. but question for number 2. I dont think the SEC is an elite league by any means, but with the strong chance of having at least a tie for most teams in the tourney outside of the big east, what conference is THAT much better?
The Big 10 and the Big 12 are much deeper than the SEC. Iowa is finishing at the bottom of the Big 10. They routed the SEC West champion. Nebraska or Oklahoma State would have won the West.

Agree with #10.

Harrellson made two stupid plays where he just threw it out of bounds. He finally has embraced his role as a garbage putback scorer.

The Big 10 and the Big 12 are much deeper than the SEC. Iowa is finishing at the bottom of the Big 10. They routed the SEC West champion. Nebraska or Oklahoma State would have won the West.

hmm i guess thats a fair assessment... its just hard to see other conferences as far superior to the SEC if we are putting just as many in the dance as them.

If you watched the last mad scramble of the day for a loose ball. You could tell 2 things. Kentucky wanted it more and we had 2 players getting ready for the NBA:rolleyes:. As they both reached for the ball while the KY players were on the floor looking for a fight. Same problem all year NO HEART:mad:

I think spot on about #1. This team almost makes losing an art form. There is no avenue or way to lose that they haven't explored. I'll be relieved when this season is over to be honest. I'm tired of watching these guys.

If you watched the last mad scramble of the day for a loose ball. You could tell 2 things. Kentucky wanted it more and we had 2 players getting ready for the NBA:rolleyes:. As they both reached for the ball while the KY players were on the floor looking for a fight. Same problem all year NO HEART:mad:

Same exact thing happened last time we played them. They get all the loose balls, all the 50/50 rebounds, and coincidentally (not) all of the big calls from the refs. When you get all of those, you're going to win a close game, plain and simple.

Hat, how clearly is this Pearl's worst coaching job? same number of home losses this year as the last five combined. But I remember a talented team taking five losses in a two-bid league and crashing out on day one of the NCAA Tournament. Is the comparison even close?

[also, the fact that both were in the last three years does not make me happy]

Thoughts on the SEC tourney, hat? With the draw Kentucky has, I now fully realize the importance of today's game.

Making it to Saturday with our draw looks daunting at best.

I couldn't agree more with #5. This team staggers the imagination of not taking advantage of the profoundly simple aspects of the game. At worst, be up 9 at the half. At worst, work to get a good shot up without giving UK a chance even to touch the ball again. At best, be up 11 or 12. These Vols- up 7 at the break in a momentum killing play. Four point swings that can easily be avoided by using the most basic common sense strategies get you beat in close games, especially against good teams. I would love to see the Vols make a great run in the tournament, but these kinds of plays usually mean the difference between advancing and not advancing, and we seem to lead the nation in making them over and over again. That, and for the love of God, a wall of bricks from the free throw line. Thanks for reading, rant over.

Soild write up again, Hat. I thought Goins clearly wanted to win, and worked hard to do so. Pearl did pretty well too from what I can remember.

Hat, how clearly is this Pearl's worst coaching job? same number of home losses this year as the last five combined. But I remember a talented team taking five losses in a two-bid league and crashing out on day one of the NCAA Tournament. Is the comparison even close?

[also, the fact that both were in the last three years does not make me happy]
I think '08-'09 was worse.

Thoughts on the SEC tourney, hat? With the draw Kentucky has, I now fully realize the importance of today's game.

Making it to Saturday with our draw looks daunting at best.
I wouldn't be surprised if UT makes the semis.

I think '08-'09 was worse.

Interesting. I can see them as pretty close to as bad, but would still give the edge to this year. Either way, it makes for a depressing recent track record, even with the Elite Eight sandwiched in between.

Interesting. I can see them as pretty close to as bad, but would still give the edge to this year. Either way, it makes for a depressing recent track record, even with the Elite Eight sandwiched in between.
Imagine how depressing it would be if Melvin Goins hadn't had an out of body shooting performance against San Diego State in the first round last year.

cant argue with anything on the list.I think you forgot 1 though.This team has no heart and they think they are better than they really are.
Oh and CT looked like he is still useless

Imagine how depressing it would be if Melvin Goins hadn't had an out of body shooting performance against San Diego State in the first round last year.

I had considered that. Although, if that were the case, Hammy would probably just go ahead and fire Pearl right now. Now we have to sweat out whether he's going to correctly predict what the NCAA will do.

VN Store

Back