Comparing Harris and Tyler Smith

BasketVolKid

Tyler was told he wouldn't be a 1st round pick after his junior year, so he came back.

Tyler stats: Tyler Smith Stats, News, Photos - Tennessee Volunteers - ESPN

Here is Harris' stats: Tobias Harris Stats, News, Photos - Tennessee Volunteers - ESPN

Tyler could not play the 4 in the nba. Can Harris? I don't think so. Could Tyler guard nba 3 men... i'd say yes... more likely than Harris can.

Tyler was more explosive and had more athletic ability. A valid argument can be made that Tyler had just as much skill and BB-IQ as Harris... he often led us in assists and recorded a triple double.

Their shooting from long distance is very close statistically but I think Harris shows more potential in developing nba 3 range. Harris probably has the shooting advantage overall. Which could ultimately be the difference for him being useful in the nba.

Of course we are comparing Tyler as a Jr and Harris as a Fr. So Harris shows more potential. Is this why he gets drafted? I wonder if Tyler woulda had more draft cred if he was a McD's All American.

I think this could be an interesting discussion.

Good topic here. I know we're comparing Tyler as a junior to Tobias as a freshman, but just based on what we've seen i'd have to take Tyler (minus whatever his deal was senior year). His athleticism is much better that tobias's. Tyler played much better defense and his athletic ability allowed him to make the hustle plays (ie. lose balls, running people down on fast breaks). He was also a better passer, could creat his own shot better and I'd even say Tyler finished better underneath the basket. You could also give the ball to tyler at the end of a game and tell him to go score and he'd most likely get off a good shot. Tobias' overall shooting is probably a little better, although Tyler was a better freethrow shooter. And I'd give the rebounding edge to Tobias also.

Honesly i cant think of many things Tobias does better than tyler. Don't take this as me hatin on tobias, I think he's a great player and he has the chance to be even better with how young he is and how hard he works. Just think Tyler's game was a little more complete.

Shot-tobias by far. Needs to shoot more

Handles- tobias, Tyler just happened to have the ball all the time

Natural athletic ability-Tyler

Nba ready body-tobias. True pf. Not a tweener like tyler.

Defense-tobias, would like to see him help a little quicker tho

Footwork- probably Tyler. Really a good athlete.

Intangibles- tobias by far
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I wouldn't quite call this comparison apples and oranges, but it's not far off. TH is a little taller, and has the potential to fill out his frame a little more while TS carried about all he could without becoming bulky.
TH is more of a finesse player whereas TS is more of a power/athleticism player (think of a poor man's LeBron James minus the 3 pt range).

While, I can see the benefits to TH staying as well as the benefits of going now, he will be fine either way; he has the work ethic to make it whether he goes now, or in another year or so.

Personally, I hope he stays another year to refine his game; but wouldn't blame him one bit if he entered the draft this year.

Or this:

When Smith junior's year came, the draft was pretty stacked.

If Harris comes out this year, there will be 10 decent players.

I totally disagree with that. Harris can't guard 4's in college; imagine him guarding Kevin Garnett. Yea, it's not pretty.

I totally disagree with that. Harris can't guard 4's in college; imagine him guarding Kevin Garnett. Yea, it's not pretty.

Yeah...if Tobias would stay he could be a potential #1 pick. He in college is a Tyler Smith that makes more shots than Tyler did.

Not hatin but he needs to be tougher. He needs to be more aggressive to the rim and gets blocked way to much. Great skills but needs the tenacity to take over games. It took Scotty till about 7 games ago to figure that out.

shot-th had longer range. When he used it, tyler rarely missed those post fade away jumpers

handles- tie. Niether had/has stellar ball handling
natural athletic ability-tyler

nba ready body-tyler had a more athletic frame and same size as some sf but still not big enough. Th is is not big enough either for his height to guard pf like gasol, duncan, boozer, etc.

defense-tyler. Th is too slow and not strong enough to guard big 4s

footwork- probably tyler. Really a good athlete.

Intangibles- tobias
posted via volnation mobile

imo

Tobias is an inch taller, shoots better, rebounds far better, blocks more shots.

Tyler got way more assists, even as a freshman at Iowa.

Interestingly, though, Tyler did not draw fouls as frequently as a freshman, and his turnover rate was slightly worse. His FT% as a freshman was just over 70, similar to Tobias's. 3-point percentage was awful, in the 20's. 2-point percentage around 48, better than TH's 46.

At Tennessee Tyler was quite a savvy player...his turnover rate dropped way down and he got to the line more. But as a frosh he didn't, he was worse than TH.

Also remember that Tyler went to prep school after his senior year, so he was essentially a junior, age-wise, when he played his first minute at TN. 2 years makes a big difference from 18 to 20.

Tobias has looked like a freshman trying to guard SEC PF's, and he's looked like a freshman at times trying to finish in the paint. A year's maturity and time in the weight room will make a big difference. If he stays at TN, I think you'll see a stronger/better finisher and a more reliable defensive presence.

Don't see how tobias is a better ball handler than Tyler... Tyler is by far the better passer.

NBA read body- True PF??? Harris has shown me NOTHING that proves he can handle ANY FORWARD in the NBA... SF or PF. 6-8 is not PF height in the NBA... unless you are a freak athletically with a 7 ft wingspan.

Defense- really?

and Aldridge, and Griffin, and Amare (LOL) and Dirk (LOL) and Gasol, and Bosh, Boozer, West, Randolph, Josh Smith... scary.

Don't know if it has been talked about elsewhere, but will the NBA's expiring CBA have any effect on underclassmen declaring? Are they allowed to have a draft like the NFL can even if the players are locked out? I remember the guys on ESPN radio saying that the NFL might go to a lockout but that the NBA definitely would. Thanks for your input.

Tobias Harris has about as much chance at being a successful NBA PF as I do.

His future is at the SF in the League. He needs to develop his shot mechanics to shorten his release time as it takes him forever to wind up and get off a shot. He has the ball-handling, rebounding ability and finesse of an NBA SF. He is quick enough to defend NBA SF's but he needs to learn to defend altogether to not be a liability.

I love Harris. He's my third favorite vol after Scotty and Stevie P. But, Tyler was a better player. Granted, he had two years on Harris. That's why I hope Harris comes back for at least one more year. He has potential to be one of the best to come through Knoxville, and I just want to see him take advantage of it.

VN Store

Back