2848 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Source inside says CBP is gone. (rumor) Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. Didn't say you have to believe it. But I am very careful what I post on here and in the ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Didn't say you have to believe it. But I am very careful what I post on here and in the past have been spot on. FYI.

Not claiming to know; just doing a courtesy of passing along CREDIBLE information from someone within whom I trust (and they are not many). Take it or leave it. Either way, you're welcome.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
VFL in Kennesaw, GA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy123 View Post
Duh!!! I have said that for the past two months. You can't possibly think that with the NCAA being center stage, that they won't show everyone that they are the big sherriff in town.
As I have said all along, (1) Pearl is suspended for a year (2) Lose one scholarship for (2012) & lose one scholarship for (2013) (3) Not eligible for post season play for 2012 or 2013.
The next coach will merely be a fill in until we get off of probation. Then we will hire a better coach. The new coach will have to re-build the program. With 2 years of probation, then maybe 5 years for the new coach to re-build the program, it will be 7 or 8 years before we will get to post-season play again.
Meanwhile, Pearl will do his one year suspension, then go to a program that is known for having a good basketball program. He may end up at Houston, Seton Hall, UNLV, etc.
His new team will be in the post-season and we will be sitting at home or in the NIT each year.
Ironic but will probably be the case!!!!!!!!!
Great points and what I have been thinking as well. Maybe we are over-reacting but I fear the worse at this point because the NCAA is taking so long to respond.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy123 View Post
Duh!!! I have said that for the past two months. You can't possibly think that with the NCAA being center stage, that they won't show everyone that they are the big sherriff in town.
As I have said all along, (1) Pearl is suspended for a year (2) Lose one scholarship for (2012) & lose one scholarship for (2013) (3) Not eligible for post season play for 2012 or 2013.
The next coach will merely be a fill in until we get off of probation. Then we will hire a better coach. The new coach will have to re-build the program. With 2 years of probation, then maybe 5 years for the new coach to re-build the program, it will be 7 or 8 years before we will get to post-season play again.
Meanwhile, Pearl will do his one year suspension, then go to a program that is known for having a good basketball program. He may end up at Houston, Seton Hall, UNLV, etc.
His new team will be in the post-season and we will be sitting at home or in the NIT each year.
Ironic but will probably be the case!!!!!!!!!
What coach in his right mind would want to take a program with a two year post season ban???
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... Mass Hysteria!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Henley View Post
I am very ignorant on most of this topic. I understand CBP hosted a cookout, with recruits, made unathorized and excessive text messages, and eventually lied to the NCAA. I am by no means trying to justify or defend these actions.

My confusion is wondering to which "benchmark" is this being compared? It seems that if what the OP says is true, and you combine the punishments already in place, this seems like a snowball effect that could be getting a bit too large? (not for CBP but for the University)

If I'm wrong, flame away! I just posted here wanting to hear opinions from people that had more knowledge than I do on the situation.

I like CBP and appreciate what he's done for the program, but I have no problem with removing him and the black eye this university is wearing at the moment.

Thanks for the help.
The comparable benchmark in recent rulings is the Dez Bryant situation, in which he was suspended for a year (as a player) for lying to the NCAA during an investigation of improper benefits. The common thought has been that if this is the standard to which players are held, then the punishment for a coach should be at least to that magnitude as coaches are held to a higher standard for the same infraction (lying to the NCAA).
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

then why is it the ncaa now may not make it's ruling til August... sorry this one doesn't add up for me
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #21 (permalink)

Pearl seems to be a natural fit for tv. He probably does that for a season or two and lands on his feet somewhere. Meanwhile, the vols are looking at substantial rebuilding.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkvol View Post
then why is it the ncaa now may not make it's ruling til August... sorry this one doesn't add up for me
Because the NCAA is a bureaucratic organization that doesn't care about effeciencies.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #23 (permalink)
VN conasewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapLaughs View Post
Pearl seems to be a natural fit for tv. He probably does that for a season or two and lands on his feet somewhere. Meanwhile, the vols are looking at substantial rebuilding.
rebuilding in basketball can consist of one recruiting class
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #24 (permalink)
Wave yo hands in the aiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapLaughs View Post
There is no doubt that he has proven his worth and will find a spot if this one happens to go away.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
13-14 in handshakes

I'm shocked! /sarcasm
justingroves is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #26 (permalink)

This is pretty muck what Gary Parrish said on CBS Sports but he said UT would keep CBP, an interim coach with no playoff opportunities and fewer quality players is a losing proposition.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolpj View Post
rebuilding in basketball can consist of one recruiting class
Correct. One player can have a huge impact on a basketball season.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocVol View Post
From my source within the athletic department:

"Bruce Pearl will not return as the coach of the UT Men's Basketball team next season."

"The NCAA WILL suspend Bruce Pearl for one year and UT will lose scholarships in addition to the self-imposed and SEC sanctions."

Credible and reliable. Book it.
This is just speculation by your source. All of the above may happen but no one from Tennessee knows what the penalties are going to be yet. "The NCAA WILL suspend Bruce Pearl and UT will lose scholarships"..... is pure speculation on their part.

Like I said it may happen but no one outside of the NCAA knows at this time.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

should have been fired already.....as much as i hate to agree with hatvol. The athletic dept moves have been to protect Pearl and not the UT BB program. Hamilton's track record on difficult issues has not been very good.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #30 (permalink)

SLAM ONLINE | Tennessee Can’t Fire Bruce Pearl