Source inside says CBP is gone. (rumor)

DocVol

From my source within the athletic department:

"Bruce Pearl will not return as the coach of the UT Men's Basketball team next season."

"The NCAA WILL suspend Bruce Pearl for one year and UT will lose scholarships in addition to the self-imposed and SEC sanctions."

Credible and reliable. Book it.

That's what I heard from a big-time booster. They are expecting a year long suspension and not expecting BP to be back.

tvols75 told me this can't be true because if he doesn't know it, nobody else does. Just what I heard.

I'm sorry, but source less jargon like this irritates the piss outta me. I do not want to say you are full of it by any means, but anyone could say that and have a 50/50 shot at being right at this point and everyone I've seen that posts "book it" after a rumor like this has been full of it.

I'm sorry, but source less jargon like this irritates the piss outta me. I do not want to say you are full of it by any means, but anyone could say that and have a 50/50 shot at being right at this point and everyone I've seen that posts "book it" after a rumor like this has been full of it.

I don't get the impression that he's telling you that you have to believe it. He's just telling you what he knows to this point and letting you decide where you fall out.

Predictions an annoying part of this type of board and aren't likely to go away.

Hope this is not the case. But if it is, then Pearl has no one but himself to blame. He was building something special here. Stupid arrogance about led to first a divorce, then recruiting violations he really didn't need to risk.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Duh!!! I have said that for the past two months. You can't possibly think that with the NCAA being center stage, that they won't show everyone that they are the big sherriff in town.
As I have said all along, (1) Pearl is suspended for a year (2) Lose one scholarship for (2012) & lose one scholarship for (2013) (3) Not eligible for post season play for 2012 or 2013.
The next coach will merely be a fill in until we get off of probation. Then we will hire a better coach. The new coach will have to re-build the program. With 2 years of probation, then maybe 5 years for the new coach to re-build the program, it will be 7 or 8 years before we will get to post-season play again.
Meanwhile, Pearl will do his one year suspension, then go to a program that is known for having a good basketball program. He may end up at Houston, Seton Hall, UNLV, etc.
His new team will be in the post-season and we will be sitting at home or in the NIT each year.
Ironic but will probably be the case!!!!!!!!!

Hope this is not the case. But if it is, then Pearl has no one but himself to blame. He was building something special here. Stupid arrogance about led to first a divorce, then recruiting violations he really didn't need to risk.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

When the assistant coaches tell the NCAA one thing and the HC says another, this is what you get.

I hate to say this but it might be best right now to cut the losses and move on especially if the NCAA throws the hammer down on us. The question is who would we hire and who would want the job after scholly losses, probation and whatever else we get???

I am very ignorant on most of this topic. I understand CBP hosted a cookout, with recruits, made unathorized and excessive text messages, and eventually lied to the NCAA. I am by no means trying to justify or defend these actions.

My confusion is wondering to which "benchmark" is this being compared? It seems that if what the OP says is true, and you combine the punishments already in place, this seems like a snowball effect that could be getting a bit too large? (not for CBP but for the University)

If I'm wrong, flame away! I just posted here wanting to hear opinions from people that had more knowledge than I do on the situation.

I like CBP and appreciate what he's done for the program, but I have no problem with removing him and the black eye this university is wearing at the moment.

Thanks for the help.

Didn't say you have to believe it. But I am very careful what I post on here and in the past have been spot on. FYI.

Not claiming to know; just doing a courtesy of passing along CREDIBLE information from someone within whom I trust (and they are not many). Take it or leave it. Either way, you're welcome.

Duh!!! I have said that for the past two months. You can't possibly think that with the NCAA being center stage, that they won't show everyone that they are the big sherriff in town.
As I have said all along, (1) Pearl is suspended for a year (2) Lose one scholarship for (2012) & lose one scholarship for (2013) (3) Not eligible for post season play for 2012 or 2013.
The next coach will merely be a fill in until we get off of probation. Then we will hire a better coach. The new coach will have to re-build the program. With 2 years of probation, then maybe 5 years for the new coach to re-build the program, it will be 7 or 8 years before we will get to post-season play again.
Meanwhile, Pearl will do his one year suspension, then go to a program that is known for having a good basketball program. He may end up at Houston, Seton Hall, UNLV, etc.
His new team will be in the post-season and we will be sitting at home or in the NIT each year.

Great points and what I have been thinking as well. Maybe we are over-reacting but I fear the worse at this point because the NCAA is taking so long to respond.

What coach in his right mind would want to take a program with a two year post season ban???

I am very ignorant on most of this topic. I understand CBP hosted a cookout, with recruits, made unathorized and excessive text messages, and eventually lied to the NCAA. I am by no means trying to justify or defend these actions.

My confusion is wondering to which "benchmark" is this being compared? It seems that if what the OP says is true, and you combine the punishments already in place, this seems like a snowball effect that could be getting a bit too large? (not for CBP but for the University)

If I'm wrong, flame away! I just posted here wanting to hear opinions from people that had more knowledge than I do on the situation.

I like CBP and appreciate what he's done for the program, but I have no problem with removing him and the black eye this university is wearing at the moment.

Thanks for the help.

The comparable benchmark in recent rulings is the Dez Bryant situation, in which he was suspended for a year (as a player) for lying to the NCAA during an investigation of improper benefits. The common thought has been that if this is the standard to which players are held, then the punishment for a coach should be at least to that magnitude as coaches are held to a higher standard for the same infraction (lying to the NCAA).

then why is it the ncaa now may not make it's ruling til August... sorry this one doesn't add up for me

Pearl seems to be a natural fit for tv. He probably does that for a season or two and lands on his feet somewhere. Meanwhile, the vols are looking at substantial rebuilding.

Pearl seems to be a natural fit for tv. He probably does that for a season or two and lands on his feet somewhere. Meanwhile, the vols are looking at substantial rebuilding.

rebuilding in basketball can consist of one recruiting class

There is no doubt that he has proven his worth and will find a spot if this one happens to go away.

VN Store

Back