2722 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on Bruce Pearl's future and this team. within the forum Tennessee Vols Basketball. I'm not sure how much the play is actually affected by this, but if UT does have to fire Pearl ...

Go Back   VolNation > Tennessee Vols Forums > Tennessee Vols Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
VN GURU

Bruce Pearl's future and this team

I'm not sure how much the play is actually affected by this, but if UT does have to fire Pearl after this season, does anyone think it would be better to announce it sooner rather than later? If the uncertainty of Pearl's job is affecting the team's performance, I would think the best option would be him announcing that he'll resign after this season or something to that effect. We may have some ugly games after that, but I think that in the long run it may be much better than 15 more games of unfocused basketball and a first round tournament exit.

I know people will probably think that if the players find out Pearl is gone, everything will get much worse, but I always feel like knowing what will happen, even if it's not what I prefer, always allows me to focus better than being unsure of what to expect.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
VP Janitorial Operations

Hamilton went all in with Pearl at least until the NCAA announces its decision.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't speculate on losing coach Pearl, but I find it interesting that:

If the NCAA hits him with a full force penalty, the Mike Slime suspension will amount to an unnecessary and undeserved penalty, not only for Pearl but UT's program.
And that, I'm afraid, is all too possible.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
VN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVol View Post
Which seems silly. Won't that just make all the sanctions worse? And after that, it would be the same end result for the coach.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

You need to understand that the NCAA cannot fire CBP. They don not have that power. Only the University can fire pearl. I do believe that there will be more sanctions against the Vols but CBP is going to still be there. If not the university would have already let him go or he would have resigned. CBP is going to be our coach for years to come and there is going to be a national title in ther somewhere. GO VOLS!!
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
#freebandz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvolsfan View Post
Which seems silly. Won't that just make all the sanctions worse? And after that, it would be the same end result for the coach.
Definitely a gamble. Don't know what his angle is. To save face? Salvage the '10-11 season? To delay the inevitable? What's done is done, but it's looking like a pretty terrible decision. Regardless of what happens with the NCAA I think cleaning house was the way to go.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Welcome To Detroit City

I just don't know what's going to happen. This is not the same team that played Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
VN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplacedfan#1 View Post
You need to understand that the NCAA cannot fire CBP. They don not have that power. Only the University can fire pearl. I do believe that there will be more sanctions against the Vols but CBP is going to still be there. If not the university would have already let him go or he would have resigned. CBP is going to be our coach for years to come and there is going to be a national title in ther somewhere. GO VOLS!!
If Hamilton doesn't fire Pearl and UT gets much worse sanctions because of it and has to get rid of Pearl anyways, Hamilton should be beaten savagely.

Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

This is the same team that played at Pitt. This is just a team with a different mentality. We were like in the top 4 in the country getting to the free throw line in the beginning of the season. I mean like 30+ a game. We have gotten away from that and it is killing us. Look what happened when we attacked the basket in the second half. We tied it up and went into overtime. Then we went away from it and lost the game. That is the strength of our team. Driving the basketball. It forces teams to get out of position and we either get a layup or wide open 3 pointer. Or get fouled and go to the line.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Abides.

I'm sure the NCAA will include "the sanctions are worse because you didn't fire the guy" on the letter.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVol View Post
I don't think he had another alternative considering the timing. I would be willing to bet that if Hamilton believes that canning Pearl will help us avoid catastrophic sanctions, that's exactly what he'll do.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Go Permian! Go MOJO!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawvol13 View Post
i don't think he had another alternative considering the timing. i would be willing to bet that if hamilton believes that canning pearl will help him keep his own job, that's exactly what he'll do.
fyp
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

hoops

Quote:
I'm not sure how much the play is actually affected by this, but if UT does have to fire Pearl after this season, does anyone think it would be better to announce it sooner rather than later? If the uncertainty of Pearl's job is affecting the team's performance, I would think the best option would be him announcing that he'll resign after this season or something to that effect. We may have some ugly games after that, but I think that in the long run it may be much better than 15 more games of unfocused basketball and a first round tournament exit.

I know people will probably think that if the players find out Pearl is gone, everything will get much worse, but I always feel like knowing what will happen, even if it's not what I prefer, always allows me to focus better than being unsure of what to expect.

Why does everyone keep saying "if" they fire Pearl? He just signed his new contract and the NCAA doesn't have authority to fire Pearl. Besides, even if we do get the hammer thrown at us, Pearl can get us back out and there aren't many other coaches out there who could revitalize this program yet again. Pearl is UT Basketball now and in the future, like it or not.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
This We'll Defend

Quote:
If Hamilton doesn't fire Pearl and UT gets much worse sanctions because of it and has to get rid of Pearl anyways, Hamilton should be beaten savagely.
Mike Hamilton should be let go if he has to fire Pearl.....
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
We will not get worse sanctions bc we didnt fire our coach.
Reply With Quote TOP