Pearl and UT Basketball.

Before Pearl got here, any body on here remember Tennessee's mens basketball getting so much pre-season attention as it has this year. I've followed them since before Ernie and Bernie and they're the only ones I can think of that got that much attention. Of course ESPN wasn't around back then and SI was about all the coverage they got. Looks like the future is very bright. GBOB!!:clapping:

Sorry if off topic. Any chance Pearl is interested in Chris Allen? Dismissed guard from michigan St. Product of Meadowcreek high school in ATL?

Pearl has done great things for our program.....and I think it will only get better over the next few years....GO VOLS!!!!

I love Pearl being the coach at Tennessee. And now that Cal is at Kentucky i think Pearl will recruit even better than he has before.

Pearl has done great things for our program.....and I think it will only get better over the next few years....GO VOLS!!!!

I couldnt agree more. Pearl has transformed this program into something totally different than it was a decade ago. The media attention and success that he has brought is very very impressive.

He's done well, no doubt. I just hope he gets Chris Lofton something very expensive and nice for his birthday and Christmas every year. The shots that Lofton took and MADE in Pearl's first two years were the best I've ever seen by any college basketball player this side of Chris Jackson. His performance really jump-started the resurgence...

Bruce shut me up this year. If he keeps the style of play he had this year, we are going places.

Bruce shut me up this year. If he keeps the style of play he had this year, we are going places.
Pearl has proven he can adapt to the players and to the style of play needed to win. I don't care what style he uses as long as we win. Trust in Pearl always and he will make you proud.:eek:k:

Pearl has proven he can adapt to the players and to the style of play needed to win. I don't care what style he uses as long as we win. Trust in Pearl always and he will make you proud.:eek:k:

Postseason wins call for certain types of play. Once the chaos crap was nixed, the deeper the run.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Postseason wins call for certain types of play. Once the chaos crap was nixed, the deeper the run.

No, no, no, no!! How many times do we have to go down this road before it starts to sink in? We won because we played the style that fit our personnel.

Nobody has ever shown me that the one possession difference between 2007 and 2010 in the Sweet 16 had anything to do with our style, not to mention we beat an inferior OSU team this year than their '07 squad. If Chism does what he's supposed to do in '07 and pick Oden, leaving Ramar with an open lane to win the game, what happens to the "I hate controlled chaos people" then?

No, no, no, no!! How many times do we have to go down this road before it starts to sink in? We won because we played the style that fit our personnel.

Nobody has ever shown me that the one possession difference between 2007 and 2010 in the Sweet 16 had anything to do with our style, not to mention we beat an inferior OSU team this year than their '07 squad. If Chism does what he's supposed to do in '07 and pick Oden, leaving Ramar with an open lane to win the game, what happens to the "I hate controlled chaos people" then?

The point is, this team looked and played like the best of the Pearl era even though it wasn't the most talented by a longshot. I don't think that it is merely a coincidence that it happened to rely on the halfcourt game almost exclusively.

The point is, this team looked and played like the best of the Pearl era even though it wasn't the most talented by a longshot. I don't think that it is merely a coincidence that it happened to rely on the halfcourt game almost exclusively.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree on that one quite a bit. They had quite a few stinkers along the way, including a pretty harsh drubbing in Nashville. And, I love this team, for sure, but, lets' be honest, they had a much easier path than either two previous Sweet 16 teams. Plus, that OSU team this year was much, much weaker than their other Sweet 16 opponents.

The only way this team "played like the best" was because it played the style some wanted, even if that isn't actually true about their quality of play. The 2007 and 2008 teams were more impressive, to me.

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree on that one quite a bit. They had quite a few stinkers along the way, including a pretty harsh drubbing in Nashville. And, I love this team, for sure, but, lets' be honest, they had a much easier path than either two previous Sweet 16 teams. Plus, that OSU team this year was much, much weaker than their other Sweet 16 opponents.

The only way this team "played like the best" was because it played the style some wanted, even if that isn't actually true about their quality of play. The 2007 and 2008 teams were more impressive, to me.

Team actually played a little defense, especially in the paint, and Goins saved our bacon one night. Offensive style meant little. Still struggled mightily in the halfcourt and were best suited to transition basketball on O because of our wait 20 seconds to make a play approach and limited shooting. We limited gimmes and defended the paint well enough to stretch out a guard the 3. Not a seismic shift.

The path was only easier if you look at nothing but the opponents. Relative to Tennessee's own strength, I would have to stick to my argument that this one was more impressive than 2007. Simply not getting their asses kicked in the elim game trumps 08 by a long shot.

Arkansas won a national title playing their "forty minutes of hell" offense. How stupid are you to realize that it all depends on the players to execute the game plan no matter what it is. If the players are good enough to execute , then , no matter the type of offense AND defense they will win. If you think you know better then why aren't you making the millions Pearl is making.:frown:

Half court offense and defense wins come tournament time. If you don't know that by now, you know little about basketball.

I think the underlying difference in this year and the years preceding is that Bruce showed that he can adjust his style of coaching to the talent he has. When everyone was complaining that the team couldn't play tournament ball after the sec Kentucky thrashing they did just that; they played like a tournament team and barely missed the Final Four. This bodes well for Tennessee Basketball in any season going forward.

Arkansas won a national title playing their "forty minutes of hell" offense. How stupid are you to realize that it all depends on the players to execute the game plan no matter what it is. If the players are good enough to execute , then , no matter the type of offense AND defense they will win. If you think you know better then why aren't you making the millions Pearl is making.:frown:

Not really. They backed off the 40 minutes theme when their ball club no longer had the makeup to beat you with it. Corliss, Beck and Thurman were not 40 minutes of hell. They played a bit uptempo, but they could kick your ass in the halfcourt on either end when they needed to.

Team actually played a little defense, especially in the paint, and Goins saved our bacon one night. Offensive style meant little. Still struggled mightily in the halfcourt and were best suited to transition basketball on O because of our wait 20 seconds to make a play approach and limited shooting. We limited gimmes and defended the paint well enough to stretch out a guard the 3. Not a seismic shift.

I agree with this. Not that you need my validation, just sayin', though.

The path was only easier if you look at nothing but the opponents. Relative to Tennessee's own strength, I would have to stick to my argument that this one was more impressive than 2007. Simply not getting their asses kicked in the elim game trumps 08 by a long shot.

First, after re-reading it, sorry if my first post came off a little too dick-ish. I think I've been arguing hat too much.

Anyway, I still think the '07 performance was more impressive as their records were similar and the talent level was relatively equal. However, the '07 team played unquestionably harder teams in the 2nd and 3rd rounds than did '10 with a similar result.

The '08 team had a much better body of work, but ran into an inconsistant and very talented Louisville team that hit their peak in the Sweet 16.

Regardless, all of the results are so similar that I still don't believe the lower reliance on "controlled chaos" had any tangible effect.

VN Store

Back