ESPN Rumor. Pearl to have big year?

Just saw on ESPN.com. Anybody tell us the gist of what it says. Not an insider.

As per ESPN college basketball rumors:

Senior big man John Fields, who holds shot-blocking records at UNC-Wilmington, has graduated and is eligible to transfer. All he has to do is choose to pursue a graduate degree in a department not offered at Wilmington. As of now, it looks like Tennessee's school of Sports Management is gaining a new student.

Fields is leaving UNCW in the wake of coach Benny Moss' mid-season firing, which was followed by a lengthy and sometimes baffling hiring process that brought in Buzz Peterson. The forward was clearly not happy with how his time at the CAA school ended. "I just wanted to spend my last year winning, so that's why I decided to get out [of UNCW]," Fields told ZagsBlog.

Fields also looked at Xavier, Miami and Rutgers, but eventually settled on the Vols. The other schools had obvious room for Fields; Tennessee is a little more difficult to understand. With Tobias Harris on board, the addition of Fields might suggest that Brian Williams -- who had a good NCAA tournament -- might now see less time in his senior year. Or, Bruce Pearl may use Williams and Fields in a platoon situation.

The second option seems more likely. Fields is a strong defensive presence, while Williams has some other attributes he can put to good use in the middle. In his assessment of the senior from the Bronx, GoVolsExtra.com correspondent Mike Griffith praised Williams. "Soft hands, great interior passer, good defensive rebounder," he wrote.

However the rotation pans out, Pearl has added the kind of frontcourt depth that any Final Four hopeful must have.

Goins, Tatum, Hopson, Harris, Williams, Fields, Golden, Mcrae, Woolridge, McBee...who am I missing? (I was attempting to list the guys that will dress out.)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Woolridge said Bone is playing PG. Will he get the initial nod for backup over Golden?

I just wish our football future was as bright as our bball program right now

Bringing in John Fields tells me one thing: That Pearl has no confidence in Swiperboy or Maymon to be the backup 4.

Bringing in John Fields tells me one thing: That Pearl has no confidence in Swiperboy or Maymon to be the backup 4.

It can't have anything to do with almost averaging a double-double(10.2 ppg, 8.7 rpg) or the 2.3 blocks a game

Hall and Harris will get more minutes than Woolridge anyway...and Maymon isn't eligible until December or January

Last edited:

Maybe to a degree, but I think it has to do with Fields being a solid player who will provide quality mins on the floor.

I really think John Fields will fit into the rotation well. Pearl has shown that he can rotate multiple people in and out fairly well. You never know when an injury will come up that leaves us shorthanded. Or for that matter a gun violation or bar brawl.

John Fields is a big man that may play anywhere from 5-20 min per game depending on the situation. The reason to sign him is that he will only be here for one year and we have a scholarship to give. He won't affect recruiting a big man down the line. Maymon won't be ready to play until halfway into the season. Why let the scholly go unused?? He could match up very well with some other top teams big men. At the very least he gives us another big body with fouls to give. He may not be the star of the recruiting class, but I'm sure there will be plenty of games where we are glad he's around.

At least that's what I heard in a text from Mustain this weekend while he was in town....

I think a key factor for pearl was that he won't mess up recruting sice this is his only year
Posted via VolNation Mobile

i hope pearl stays for awhile i wonder how much longer until the nba starts reaching out to him and what he will do if they start offering

I really feel like this is a critical year for the identity of the program. We are coming off of a fluky and unexpected Elite Eight run, and lost a fair amount of seniors. The year before was kind of a mediocre one, with an early exit. I think having a strong year this year and repeating to the Elite Eight could push the Tennessee program over yet another threshold of significance.

I really feel like this is a critical year for the identity of the program. We are coming off of a fluky and unexpected Elite Eight run, and lost a fair amount of seniors. The year before was kind of a mediocre one, with an early exit. I think having a strong year this year and repeating to the Elite Eight could push the Tennessee program over yet another threshold of significance.

Nice Post IP.

I agree but I do not look forward to the morons on here who will begin the negavol attitude if anything less than an Elite Eight run takes place.

He is a one-year player who will help us in the post and have no negative impact on future recruits. It had nothing to do with confidence in Swiperboy or Maymon. Fields will play the five and the four only if foul trouble requires.

Nice Post IP.

I agree but I do not look forward to the morons on here who will begin the negavol attitude if anything less than an Elite Eight run takes place.

Right. I should say, we don't take a step back as long as we make it to the tournament and maybe win a game. But repeating last year's success without last year's seniors would really send a message that Tennessee is no longer a top 20 type program, but rather a top 10 one.

VN Store

Back