If you are an NBA GM would you take Damien James over Wayne Chism?

Wise-Vol

I was looking at some of the NBA draft stuff and saw Damien James getting a lot of love (first round love).

I'm no expert on the NBA, but James is a 6'7 225 forward, which means he is really about 6'6.

I've seen him play (a lot) and I love him as a college player, but in the NBA, James is a SG or a SF with that size. He was a "good", not "great" three point shooter at Texas as a PF. It's much harder to get good looks from three point range when you are being defended by a perimeter player as opposed to Marcus Morris. On top of that, his handle was below average and is well below average for a SG or SF. I'd compare his weaknesses to Tyler Smith's

I have also (obviously) seen Chism play a lot and while he is not as good a three point shooter as James, Chism is an NBA power forward, so being an average perimeter shooter is more forgiving.

I guess I'm wondering would Chism be a better NBA PF than James will be an NBA SF and I'm thinking "yes".

What am I missing?

No One on this site can answer this question without being biased. But Obviously I would.

Chism is the size of an NBA wing. For example, take three of the best wings in the NBA. Lebron James is 6'8 260ish, Carmello Anthony is 6'9 260ish, and Rashard Lewis is 6'10 230. Basically, Chism is an average sized small forward. He's not big enough to guard the PF's of the NBA. So basically, he wont be drafted tonight, but will probably be signed by someone. His shooting has to improve, which it will. And his footwork has to be quick enough to adequately guard an NBA wing player. I hope he can get in the mix with one team, he definitely has more heart than most NBA players.

Personally I think if Chism is to play in the NBA he will need to be on a team that has a large presence at Center. so that his 15ft game would be able to pull other power forwards away from the basket and more importantly away from doubling their big man. I love big Wayne, but a dominant back to the basket player he was not. His Roll in the NBA could be that of a garbage rebounder and a knock down 12-15ft shooter.

Very tough. I am not a Tenn basketball fan and would still say Chism, here are my reasons

1. James has more talent but is lazy
2. Chism is a PF in the NBA nothing else. James is a 2 or 3 but his dribbling skills would be well below average.
3. Chism has more heart and more to prove. Neither are going to be starters in the NBA but Chism will hustle more and do the dirty work that good coaches like.

Chism is the size of an NBA wing. For example, take three of the best wings in the NBA. Lebron James is 6'8 260ish, Carmello Anthony is 6'9 260ish, and Rashard Lewis is 6'10 230. Basically, Chism is an average sized small forward. He's not big enough to guard the PF's of the NBA. So basically, he wont be drafted tonight, but will probably be signed by someone. His shooting has to improve, which it will. And his footwork has to be quick enough to adequately guard an NBA wing player. I hope he can get in the mix with one team, he definitely has more heart than most NBA players.

Interesting view-point about a player who has drawn praise for his defensive work against the likes of Greg Oden, DeMarcus Cousins, AJ Ogilvey, Cole Aldrich, Greg Monroe, Randolph Morris, and Al Thornton.

I would say Chism's defensive ability as an NBA PF is his strong suit. It's his offense that would be the weakness.

It's also interesting that you select 3 of the better Wings in the NBA. Magic Johnson was a 6'9 PG. Doesn't tell us anything about Wayne Chism. I don't think anyone believes Chism is a starting wing. Perhaps better comparisons are backup PFs -- Glenn Davis (6'9 290 with two 3 point shots in his career), JJ Hickson (6'9 230 with zero 3 pt shots in his career), Louis Amundson (6'9 238 with zero 3 pt shots in his career), or Hakim Warrick (6'9 219 with twenty 3 pointers made in his 4 year career). How does Glenn Davis guard an athletic NBA PF? How does Warrick guard a physical NBA PF?

And before anyone says "Wayne Chism isn't as big as those guys", Glenn Davis measured 6'7 and 3/4 without shoes when he came out. Amundson at 6'7 and 1/4. Yet both are listed at 6'9. Chism measured 6'7 and 1/2 without shoes.

Last edited:
Very tough. I am not a Tenn basketball fan and would still say Chism, here are my reasons

1. James has more talent but is lazy
2. Chism is a PF in the NBA nothing else. James is a 2 or 3 but his dribbling skills would be well below average.
3. Chism has more heart and more to prove. Neither are going to be starters in the NBA but Chism will hustle more and do the dirty work that good coaches like.

Wait are you describing james or Scotty Hopson?

I basically agree. He would have to play the 3 in the NBA. His outside shooting is not consistent enough to have NBA folks excited about him in this position. He does not have the body to play the 4 in the NBA. As for his footwork defensively, he's as good as any player his size that I've seen. He is not likely to be drafted, but may very well make a team as a free agent.

James is the more talented player....talent gets you drafted

For you guys saying he would hav to play 3: One of my favorite players of the last ten years, Ben wallace, was only 6 foot 9. thats the same height as chism, and wallace played center. He won defensive player of the year and, although he didnt hav any offensive game whatsoever, he was one of the better centers in the league. Now, am i saying that Chism has the same defensive skill set? no. But even in this years finals 6 foot 10 rasheed wallace started at center in game 7 and did a dang good job. In a recent radio interview when asked who he could see himself being like, Chism said, Rasheed Wallace. They can both nail the three. Im not saying that Chism would be an all star, or even a starter, But his skill set is Way better than Big Baby Davis. Wayne just has to land on the right team.

Chism is the size of an NBA wing. For example, take three of the best wings in the NBA. Lebron James is 6'8 260ish, Carmello Anthony is 6'9 260ish, and Rashard Lewis is 6'10 230.

Carmelo Anthony is NOT 260. Please quit talking.

For you guys saying he would hav to play 3: One of my favorite players of the last ten years, Ben wallace, was only 6 foot 9. thats the same height as chism, and wallace played center. He won defensive player of the year and, although he didnt hav any offensive game whatsoever, he was one of the better centers in the league. Now, am i saying that Chism has the same defensive skill set? no. But even in this years finals 6 foot 10 rasheed wallace started at center in game 7 and did a dang good job. In a recent radio interview when asked who he could see himself being like, Chism said, Rasheed Wallace. They can both nail the three. Im not saying that Chism would be an all star, or even a starter, But his skill set is Way better than Big Baby Davis. Wayne just has to land on the right team.

The interesting thing is that the idea that Chism would have to play wing because he doesn't have the body of an NBA PF is simply false. You can list backup NBA PF after PF who is the same size or shorter/lighter than Wayne Chism. I listed 3 above. Chism is the same height as Davis, taller than Amundson, and bulkier than Warrick.

In the ESPN magazine in which John Wall is on the cover it kind of has a article about this. It is not about Chism but it is about how often times players do better in the Pros then in college bc they get the chance to show their skill set. It also mentions how they dont draft players by what they arent good at yet they look at their specific skills and determine if the player fits there game and if what they are good at will help their team win games. So if you look at it that way what does Chism do well? To start he has what I would believe as an above average medium range shot for a big his size, he handles the ball well for someone who is listed 6'9, he plays physical defense and gives 110% which is something that you dont see alot of in the NBA. So if you ask me I think he could be a productive player in the NBA, its not always the starters that make a team great, its often times the role players that make a team great. I believe he would project as a great role player and a team leader in the NBA. Just my two cents! But best of luck to him, he will have an oppurtunity.

In the ESPN magazine in which John Wall is on the cover it kind of has a article about this. It is not about Chism but it is about how often times players do better in the Pros then in college bc they get the chance to show their skill set. It also mentions how they dont draft players by what they arent good at yet they look at their specific skills and determine if the player fits there game and if what they are good at will help their team win games. So if you look at it that way what does Chism do well? To start he has what I would believe as an above average medium range shot for a big his size, he handles the ball well for someone who is listed 6'9, he plays physical defense and gives 110% which is something that you dont see alot of in the NBA. So if you ask me I think he could be a productive player in the NBA, its not always the starters that make a team great, its often times the role players that make a team great. I believe he would project as a great role player and a team leader in the NBA. Just my two cents! But best of luck to him, he will have an oppurtunity.

I agree. I think Chism has many skills that will fit the NBA well. If he can land with the right team, he has an excellent chance of making a roster. He may be better off as a free-agent, rather than being drafted. He would have better control of the team that his skill set fits best.

I agree. I think Chism has many skills that will fit the NBA well. If he can land with the right team, he has an excellent chance of making a roster. He may be better off as a free-agent, rather than being drafted. He would have better control of the team that his skill set fits best.

Im not positive but if I remember right Pearl has said before that it is better to not be drafted mid to late 2nd round bc there is a chance you wont end up on the right team and you are better off not being drafted. Now I wouldnt say that is a good thing for Pearl and recruiting but UT basketball is on the rise and I dont believe it would hurt us one bit in the recruiting world.

Carmelo isn't close to that size and Lewis is a PF

Interesting view-point about a player who has drawn praise for his defensive work against the likes of Greg Oden, DeMarcus Cousins, AJ Ogilvey, Cole Aldrich, Greg Monroe, Randolph Morris, and Al Thornton.

I would say Chism's defensive ability as an NBA PF is his strong suit. It's his offense that would be the weakness.

It's also interesting that you select 3 of the better Wings in the NBA. Magic Johnson was a 6'9 PG. Doesn't tell us anything about Wayne Chism. I don't think anyone believes Chism is a starting wing. Perhaps better comparisons are backup PFs -- Glenn Davis (6'9 290 with two 3 point shots in his career), JJ Hickson (6'9 230 with zero 3 pt shots in his career), Louis Amundson (6'9 238 with zero 3 pt shots in his career), or Hakim Warrick (6'9 219 with twenty 3 pointers made in his 4 year career). How does Glenn Davis guard an athletic NBA PF? How does Warrick guard a physical NBA PF?

And before anyone says "Wayne Chism isn't as big as those guys", Glenn Davis measured 6'7 and 3/4 without shoes when he came out. Amundson at 6'7 and 1/4. Yet both are listed at 6'9. Chism measured 6'7 and 1/2 without shoes.

Not sure why Magic Johnson is being brought up. But anyways, what have all of the players you listed at the top done in the NBA? Nothing. I am not saying Chism has to shoot 3's to be a successful NBA player. After watching the NBA finals, how can you possibly say that Chism could guard Glen Davis, Kevin Garnett, Lamar Odom or Pau Gasol? All of which play PF fully or at times. Im not hating on Wayne at all I love him as much as anyone.

Im just stating what I've read about him by scouts and experts, does that mean he can never be successful unless he does what the experts say to improve? Of course not. Im just saying he needs to become a better shooter and get quicker so that he can guard wings and use his physicality to guard bigs when needed.

I think he can do it personally, was just stating what I think he needs to do to be a relevant NBA player, I'd be willing to bet he agrees with me too.

Last edited:
I would take James just because of his versatility. If Chism was and inch taller i would take him.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back