My Thoughts From The Rocky Top League Tonight

LawVol13

Scotty Hopson: Looks stronger and more muscular. However, that's where the positives end. He still really struggles handling the ball and was clearly outplayed by Cam Tatum when they were matched on each other. He shot between 10-20% from 3 missing several uncontested looks.

Cam Tatum: He confirmed my thinking on him towards the end of this year that he is a better all around player than Scotty Hopson. He got multiple steals, finished well around the basket, shot the basketball well, and also showed some playmaking ability for others. He clearly outplayed Hopson when they were matched against each other.

Trae Golden: Was solid. He seems to be very fundamentally sound. He also seems to be an excellent shooter, and he also played solid defense. He should be a solid backup to Goins.

Jordan McCrae: Very impressive athlete. He's still pretty unpolished. He looks like he has some serious upside. I can see him being a pretty decent backup for us next year. Hopefully he'll add some weight in the offseason.

Renaldo Woolridge: Was completely and totally outplayed the entire night by a kid from LMU. He really looked pathetic.

Melvin Goins: Very impressive. Plays great defense. Has some unbelievable athleticism as he was doing windmill dunks in warmups and also had an impressive dunk during the game. I think he'll be solid for us next year.

Conclusion:

All in all I was pretty impressed. I felt like the most impressive players were Melvin Goins and Cam Tatum. The least impressive was by far Renaldo Woolridge. He looks more and more like an absolute waste of a scholarship.

Scotty Hopson: Looks stronger and more muscular. However, that's where the positives end. He still really struggles handling the ball and was clearly outplayed by Cam Tatum when they were matched on each other. He shot between 10-20% from 3 missing several uncontested looks.

Cam Tatum: He confirmed my thinking on him towards the end of this year that he is a better all around player than Scotty Hopson. He got multiple steals, finished well around the basket, shot the basketball well, and also showed some playmaking ability for others. He clearly outplayed Hopson when they were matched against each other.

Trae Golden: Was solid. He seems to be very fundamentally sound. He also seems to be an excellent shooter, and he also played solid defense. He should be a solid backup to Goins.

Jordan McCrae: Very impressive athlete. He's still pretty unpolished. He looks like he has some serious upside. I can see him being a pretty decent backup for us next year. Hopefully he'll add some weight in the offseason.

Renaldo Woolridge: Was completely and totally outplayed the entire night by a kid from LMU. He really looked pathetic.

Melvin Goins: Very impressive. Plays great defense. Has some unbelievable athleticism as he was doing windmill dunks in warmups and also had an impressive dunk during the game. I think he'll be solid for us next year.

Conclusion:

All in all I was pretty impressed. I felt like the most impressive players were Melvin Goins and Cam Tatum. The least impressive was by far Renaldo Woolridge. He looks more and more like an absolute waste of a scholarship.

Hopson had 37 points and played a great game, what more do you want from him???.....also its Mcrae.

Last edited:
Woolridge played well the last game with 39 points.....sounds like the lakers game was on his mind the whole night.

Last edited:
Hopson had 37 points and played a great game, what more do you want from him???.....also its Mcrae

The issues are still there with Hopson.

37 in a defenseless game means squat.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hopson had 37 points and played a great game, what more do you want from him???.....also its Mcrae.

Hopson scored the vast majority of his points on uncontested dunks or uncontested shots. When he was actually guarded, a kid from one of the D-II schools picked his pocket and went the other way. He had lots and lots of turnovers. And when he was matched with Tatum, it wasn't close. Tatum was much better. That's my opinion from watching it live. You can't tell anything from stats in that league.

Hopson scored the vast majority of his points on uncontested dunks or uncontested shots. When he was actually guarded, a kid from one of the D-II schools picked his pocket and went the other way. He had lots and lots of turnovers. And when he was matched with Tatum, it wasn't close. Tatum was much better. That's my opinion from watching it live. You can't tell anything from stats in that league.

I agree LawVol. Hopson displayed the same problems he has had previously. He has problems handling the ball in traffic and when Tatum played defense against him, he goes into a shell and acts as if he isn't trying, instead of getting tough. He responds to physical play by stopping his game and by quitting, same issues we have seen previously. A great waste of talent at this point.

I agree LawVol. Hopson displayed the same problems he has had previously. He has problems handling the ball in traffic and when Tatum played defense against him, he goes into a shell and acts as if he isn't trying, instead of getting tough. He responds to physical play by stopping his game and by quitting, same issues we have seen previously. A great waste of talent at this point.

According to BigOrangePassion, this statement is patently false. Hopson has zero talent and therefore he his not a waste

Thanks from Alaska for the reports. Too bad about Hopson. He really needed to bring it this year. I just keep hoping he will get tougher and stronger and more aggressive. Hopefully Woolridge is the last son of a famous player Pearl recruits.

I don't understand Woolridge. He has good size, runs the floor well, jumps well, but seems to have no real basketball ability. He is terrible defensively and his shooting ability is very poor. He also has serious problems finishing around the basket. It's a shame. Just by looking at him, you would think he could be an exceptional player.

I don't understand Woolridge. He has good size, runs the floor well, jumps well, but seems to have no real basketball ability. He is terrible defensively and his shooting ability is very poor. He also has serious problems finishing around the basket. It's a shame. Just by looking at him, you would think he could be an exceptional player.

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Not to toot my own horn, but toot toot. I've been saying Tatum is the best 2 guard we have on the team since the beginning of last season

Brian Williams seems to keep his game up. Can't wait to see him next yr, supposedly he's going to hit the weights hard this offseason!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Not to toot my own horn, but toot toot. I've been saying Tatum is the best 2 guard we have on the team since the beginning of last season

I definitely agree. I have been saying it since the last half of the season last year.

Thanks from Alaska for the reports. Too bad about Hopson. He really needed to bring it this year. I just keep hoping he will get tougher and stronger and more aggressive. Hopefully Woolridge is the last son of a famous player Pearl recruits.

Hopson has a chance to be better next season, but I don't see him exploding into an All-American candidate. I think he'll probably just be marginally better.

Woolridge, on the other hand, was just a mistake in evaluation by the staff. It happens to every school occasionally.

VN Store

Back