Chad Ford's Top 100 (#80 Tyler Smith)

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
As per ESPN Insider:

Draft Projection: Second round to undrafted

Notes: Smith was kicked off his team in January after being arrested by police for possession of marijuana. Smith declared for the 2009 NBA Draft, but withdrew just before the deadline after failing to get a promise of being drafted in the first round. Smith transferred from Iowa to Tennessee after his freshman season.

Positives:

# Athletic, physical small forward
# Versatile skill set
# Strong midrange game
# Quick first step, solid ball handler
# Explosive leaper
# Fearless penetrator
# Good motor
# Decent rebounder

Negatives:

# Doesn't have great range on his jump shot
# Doesn't excel in any one area
# Old for his class
# Inconsistent

Summary: Jan 12 Update: Smith has watched his draft stock sink ever since it crested at 28th during his first season at Tennessee. This year his stock had dipped down into the 80s on our Big Board before he was arrested by police for possession of marijuana and eventually dismissed from the team. Now?

"No one's going to touch him in the NBA," one GM said. "We do draft players who have had off-the-court issues even worse than Smith's. But they've all had tantalizing talent. Smith is a good basketball player, but he won't be worth the risk." We've dropped Smith from our Top 100 for the first time in his career.

Nov 24 Update: You've got to feel a little sorry for Smith. He transferred from Iowa to Tennessee after his freshman season and almost immediately was pegged as a first-rounder. He did the right thing and stayed in school four years. However, despite a solid sophomore and junior season from Smith, teams aren't in love. He does have an all-around game but doesn't stand out in any one area. He's going to have to have a huge season (and get those shooting percentages up) if he wants to land in the first round.

Apr 13 Update: Smith is an athletic, versatile, talented swingman who has been a borderline first round pick for the past two years. While his scoring averages were up this year, his rebounding numbers slipped and his shooting percentages plummeted. Smith's struggles to be the primary option at Tennessee had big ramifications on the court for Tennessee and the team lost in the first round of the tournament. Smith was solid, scoring 21 points in that game, but it's doubtful he did enough to propel himself into the first round. Most likely he's a second-round pick.

Feb 27 Update: Smith was very impressive as a sophomore at Tennessee last season, but his productivity has tailed off this season. His scoring is up, but his rebounds, assists and shooting percentages are way down. He still has his moments, like his 30-point game against Vanderbilt in mid-February, but then he has his stinkers, like his 1-for-11 performance against Kentucky.

He has talent, but he didn't have the breakout season many scouts were expecting. If the draft were held today, he'd probably be a second-round pick.

I don't think Ford really bothers much with the bottom of his board. Smith has been ranked around that spot for a long time and Chism has never even made a glimpse of his ranking. I have a hard time believing that Smith is more likely to get drafted than Chism.

I completely agree with you...I don't see Smith getting drafted...Chism has a better shot, but I really don't see him getting drafted either...though I do believe he'll get signed by someone

I'm positive Tyler will not get drafted but I'm still torn on whether he will make a roster. On one hand he's soft and a head case, esp. when he's "the man", but undrafted he can approach it with little pressure and basically a nothing to lose attitude and he seems the type of guy that would respond to that? Oh well, we'll see...

I don't see Tyler or Chism making a nba roster. Looking at the draft history, if you're not selected in round 1, you're most likely not going to ever see the court.

VN Store

Back