Top five Tennessee basketball players of all time

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I heard Bert Bertlekamp yesterday discussing this with Jimmy Hyams.

Bert's top five:

Bernard King, Dale Ellis, Ernie Grunfeld, Allan Houston, (tie) Reggie Johnson and Chris Lofton.

Thoughts?

Hyams had Grunfeld in second ahead of Ellis but I got the impression that Bert likes Ellis in that spot. Hyams also had Johnson in sole possession of fifth place (no tie with Lofton).

I heard Bert Bertlekamp yesterday discussing this with Jimmy Hyams.

Bert's top five:

Bernard King, Dale Ellis, Ernie Grunfeld, Allan Houston, (tie) Reggie Johnson and Chris Lofton.

Thoughts?

Hyams had Grunfeld in second ahead of Ellis but I got the impression that Bert likes Ellis in that spot. Hyams also had Johnson in sole possession of fifth place (no tie with Lofton).

Steve Hamer. #1. All day.

I can live with Bert's list.

Of course I'd have Lofton at 5th personally, though.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Wayne Chism is my favorite. He's also the most winning and groundbreaking Vol ever. I believe he broke the round of 32 barrier and the Sweet16 barrier with our beloved Vols. He's obviously not the most talented but he's my all time favorite.

Tennessee had been past the round of 32 before Wayne Chism. They got there in 2000 and lost to UNC.

I can't argue that list. I would give Shane Williams an honorable mention though. Averaged 38 min per game, and was the coolest ISS teacher I ever had.

Don DeVoe's top five that he coached at Tennessee:

Tony White
Gary Carter
Terry Crosby
Dyron Nix
Fred Jenkins

Wayne Chism is my favorite. He's also the most winning and groundbreaking Vol ever. I believe he broke the round of 32 barrier and the Sweet16 barrier with our beloved Vols. He's obviously not the most talented but he's my all time favorite.
Tony Harris led the vols to the sweet 16 where they barely lost to UNC

I liked the lists. Ernie and Bernie and Dale Ellis and Allan houston with a few people in the running for fifth. I take lofton for his work ethic and not crying through criticism while privately fighting cancer

Of course you would, that because you never saw the Bert and Ernie show :birgits_giggle:

Pistol Pete was the greatest ball handler ever in the SEC, but for pure all around Basketball skill I would take B. King

Sorry, no - unless by ball handler you also mean scorer. Pete is the greatest player in SEC history.

Sorry, no - unless by ball handler you also mean scorer. Pete is the greatest player in SEC history.

I've been following SEC basketball for over 50 years and am a Tennessee fan all along the way. Pistol Pete was one of the great cornerstones of SEC basketball and not only could he score at will but he was the best passer I have seen in the SEC. rest in peace::sad:

I've been following SEC basketball for over 50 years and am a Tennessee fan all along the way. Pistol Pete was one of the great cornerstones of SEC basketball and not only could he score at will but he was the best passer I have seen in the SEC. rest in peace::sad:

Bernard King was at his best against the best! He always out scored and out rebounded the other teams best player! :good!:

In no particular order:

1) Gannon Goodson
2) Andy Ikeakor
3) Boomer Herndon
4) Tanner Wild
5) Jemere Hendrix

1) Torry Harris
2) Orlando Berry
3) John Winchester
4) Chris Brand
5) Alonzo Johnson

Give me Buzz and these five guys and we would beat one of Pat's team's eyes shut.

VN Store

Back