In Bruce He Endorsed For Gov

robvols

He put in trust with Bill Haslam. Clay made a big deal out of this as coaches should stay out of endorsing politicians running for office
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have NO problem with this, let him be a normal citizen instead of just a coach for once.

If he had of endorsed a Democrat I might feel differently, but I have no problem with this. I'm glad to see that I agree with Bruce:good!:

It's against state law for a state employee to publicly endorse/campaign for a candidate. Also, since the families of most of his recruits are probably Democrats, it could be a bad move for recruiting. Other than sucking up to the UT cash cow, why did he do this?

It's against state law for a state employee to publicly endorse/campaign for a candidate. Also, since the families of most of his recruits are probably Democrats, it could be a bad move for recruiting. Other than sucking up to the UT cash cow, why did he do this?

Maybe he is worried about the terrible course our country is on right now.

I'm almost positive that the first sentence is incorrect. And, I don't think recruits' families give two craps who Pearl voted for in the Tennessee Governor's race.

Maybe he believes in Bill Haslam?

No it is not against the law. The recruits could care less who He supports.

If someone was responsible for giving you a job worth millions wouldn't you support their sons campaign as well?

To clear up any confusion. I found a document explaining the Hatch Act. The state's Hatch Act should be basically identical to the federal act. Endorsing candidates is allowed.

It is permissible for officers to:
• Attend fundraisers, display yard signs or bumper stickers, and attend political rallies;
• Give a speech or keynote address at a political fundraiser, so long as the officer is not on duty and does not solicit contributions. The invitation for the speech or address may have the officer’s name, but may not solicit contributions or state the officer’s official title;
• Canvass for votes in support of or in opposition to partisan political candidates or a candidate for political party office;
• Endorse or oppose a partisan political candidate in a political advertisement, broadcast, campaign literature, or similar material, so long as the officer is not on duty and not wearing a uniform, badge or insignia;

Zach Wamp is a UNC basketball fan anyway. Maybe he can get Roy Williams endorsement and see how far that gets him! :)

Bruce Pearl is a voting citizen of the United States of America and Tennessee and has the right to his opinion. His status shouldn't prohibit him from making his opinion known. Even if he donated cash and didn't say a word, due to public finance laws it come out anyway, so I have no problem with this. You shouldn't have to give up rights just because of a job you hold.

As an employee at a state university, we've been repeatedly told in the last six years that the Little Hatch Act forbids us from openly supporting ANY candidate--no campaign buttons while teaching, no bumper stickers on office doors, no endorsing candidates in any form while on campus. So TBR and university administration was incorrect in telling us that? Was it directed just at professors?

As an employee at a state university, we've been repeatedly told in the last six years that the Little Hatch Act forbids us from openly supporting ANY candidate--no campaign buttons while teaching, no bumper stickers on office doors, no endorsing candidates in any form while on campus. So TBR and university administration was incorrect in telling us that? Was it directed just at professors?

You are not to campaign for a candidate while working for the state... perfectly fine outside of work, but doing it while at school gets way too close to a conflict of interest. Basically, you should be allowed to have an item that shows who you support in your office... but not a giant poster outlining why someone else should vote for the candidate.

In this case, the Hatch Act could be used depending on if Bruce Pearl was using his position(if he receives state money as part of his pay) to campaign on behalf of a candidate(who could theoretically compensate him when in a position of power).

VN Store

Back