Can Bruce Pearl bring UT basketball a national title?

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
I'm torn on the issue. Before the 2010 NCAA Tourney, I would have said no, but the way he coached in the tourney, I'm not as much of a doubter as I use to be. I would say no, but I believe he can get us to a Final Four or two hopefully, then everything goes out the window.

It all comes down to recruiting. If we can sign elite players, we have a chance, if not no way. I do agree that he, hopefully, learned that half-court offense and defense wins in the tourney.

It all comes down to recruiting. If we can sign elite players, we have a chance, if not no way. I do agree that he, hopefully, learned that half-court offense and defense wins in the tourney.

To me, it's more about finding the players who play hard and fit Bruce's system. Recruiting isn't everything, just ask Tom Izzo.

To me, it's more about finding the players who play hard and fit Bruce's system. Recruiting isn't everything, just ask Tom Izzo.

If that system is his garbage controlled-chaos crap, then no, he can't.

If he can get us to Final Fours, which we missed by a point, then I don't think a National Title is too far fetched.

If he sticks to the style that we utilized this past tournament, and recruits well, then I think he can. However, he has to show he can develop the best players. He's shown he can get productivity out of decent guys, but he has to get the improvements out of the Ramar Smith/Scotty Hopson types to win the titles, IMO.

Someone asked the same question regarding Pat Head about the fifth year of her tenure also.

The rest is history.

Someone asked the same question regarding Pat Head about the fifth year of her tenure also.

The rest is history.

Summit's situation and Pearl's situation aren't even close to being comparable.

I don't know if Pearl will win a championship here, but he's now shown that he can compete for Final Fours, and once you get there, anything can happen. I'm still on a high after this year and even more excited about the future.

If national championships in basketball can be won at Florida, they can be won at Tennessee. I'm not in any way saying Tennessee had the best team last year, but they were seconds away from being in the Final Four with three beatable teams.

Agreed, men's basketball is a completely different animal. Summit simply didn't, and will never, face the level of competition that Pearl's team will.

Is garbage controlled-chaos crap As you call it. Is the best Tenn has ever had and yes He can.

I guess you realize we didn't run that system this year, and shockingly, we had some real success in the 'AAs?

I don't know if Pearl will win a championship here, but he's now shown that he can compete for Final Fours, and once you get there, anything can happen. I'm still on a high after this year and even more excited about the future.

This.

It's possible if he can get a bunch of players that are a lot better than what he's been getting.

Summit's situation and Pearl's situation aren't even close to being comparable. QUOTE]

You may be right about that. Pearl's early Vol teams have had more success than Pat's early teams and I believe it took Bruce less time to make the Elite Eight than it took Pat. Maybe he'll reach a peak with the Vols even earlier than Pat did. I have a lot of faith in our Bruce.

I just wish Cleveland had come courting Tom Izzo one year earlier.

VN Store

Back