Poll: How many years until Bruce Pearl makes a Final Four.

How many years will it take for Bruce Pearl to make a Final Four apperance.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

windycityvol

I personally think he can will eventually reach the Final Four sometime in the next 5 years. How long do you think it will take?

I'm saying 3-4....a couple more classes like this year and we'll be set. 2011 class is off to a good start

I really hope that Bruce becomes our Dean Smith, not necessarily by how much he wins and what not, but for what he means for Tennessee basketball. I think he'll be here til he retires, I hope so at least.

He was two points away from it this year. With two great recruiting classes shaping up, I would say one to two years but if not three to four. I will just say soon.

I think Tennessee is to the point where a series of good matchups could lead to a Final Four run any year now. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen at least once in the next five years.

I think Tennessee is to the point where a series of good matchups could lead to a Final Four run any year now. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen at least once in the next five years.
Ill be shocked if we ever get a more favorable set of matchups than we had this year. That said, our PG situation will only get better from here and our style of ball tends to be morphing to a more tourney adaptable game.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Ill be shocked if we ever get a more favorable set of matchups than we had this year.
True. Rarely are you going play a team missing its best player in the Elite Eight.

I'll wait until I see the system we run this year. If we go back to that streetball crap, my prediction would be never. The style we played in the tournament is what I hope Pearl sticks with.

John Chaney, Norm Stewart, Ralph Miller, and Gene Keady combined for exactly zero Final four appearances. Keep that in mind when acting as if Pearl getting there is a foregone conclusion.

I think Pearl is the best coach in the SEC followed by Stallins at Vandy. Pearl will get to final 4 sooner than later. Tennessee keeps winning and the kids will come here.

Those guys had top 5 attendance and some of the best programs in college basketball. Every resource needed to attract all of the top talent...

I was definitely expecting to see a lot more skepticism, but I really think that Bruce potentially has a lot of longevity with the University of Tennessee. Reason being that most potential moves would be considered lateral. Obviously, if Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA comes calling, he'd have to consider it. However, a move to a school like Michigan State or Syracuse, or even a school like Arizona, would seem lateral to me. Yes those schools have far more tradition than we do, but we have a large enough recruiting base (Atlanta and the state of Tennessee which is a very good basketball state in its own right), have deep pockets and fantastic facilities, and we have built a national reputation as a fun place to play (as evidenced by pulling players like Tobias Harris.) All in all, I could see Bruce here for at least another 5-7 years unless a big dog falls on some extremely tough times, and it's hard to believe that if he continues to pull in the talent we have been that we don't find a way to get to the Final Four.

John Chaney, Norm Stewart, Ralph Miller, and Gene Keady combined for exactly zero Final four appearances. Keep that in mind when acting as if Pearl getting there is a foregone conclusion.

Indeed. The world of bracket tourney's where you can only lose once is quite the equalizer to great teams. I don't think people understand how hard it really is to put together that kind of run with all the different variables in the college game. Evidenced by those who run around here saying that there is no way UK should have lost in the elite 8.

Its a hard road that is determined just as much, or perhaps more by the luck of the draw and how your playing at that precise moment in time.

Absolutely correct. There are many good coaches that never make the final four. The stars have to be lined up and you have to be playing your best basketball of the season during the tournament, unless, of course, you simply have better talent than anyone.

Yes those were great coaches, however they rarely had superior talent on the floor. Their teams found their success because they were well coached and played a fundamentally solid, team oriented style of basketball. Bruce's ability as a recruiter exceeds that of even the great coaches you just named, and even if you aren't the greatest game coach, when you consistently put talent on the floor for an extended period of time you are going to find success. You will always have exceptions on occasion, but the bottom line is the teams that have the most NBA level talent, often wind up winning. Bruce is starting to pump out fringe NBA talent, but he is starting to recruit elite players with major potential and it's that accumulation of talent which will get him to a final four in my opinion.

Look at Cal, love him or hate him he can flat recruit (legally or not lol.) It's not like his offensive sets are genius. He runs a lot of NBA type isolation sets and lets his best players get to the rim and make plays, that's what the dribble drive really is.

VN Store

Back