Would Bruce have persuaded...

robvols

Just heard on the radio TN resident Corey Brewer,who played for the Gators and presently with the Twolves, said if Bruce was around that he may have not went to Florida due to his style of play. He also said Brendan Wright might have gone to UT and be playing alongside with Tyler Smith. If Bruce was around, would he have been successful in persuading either of the two?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Bruce's salemanship is second to none, so I would say that he would have had a real good shot with Brewer. Wright would have been a little tougher though.

Wright was around when we hired Bruce but he didn't have much time to recruit him.

Just heard on the radio TN resident Corey Brewer,who played for the Gators and presently with the Twolves, said if Bruce was around that he may have not went to Florida due to his style of play. He also said Brendan Wright might have gone to UT and be playing alongside with Tyler Smith. If Bruce was around, would he have been successful in persuading either of the two?
He couldn't have been any less successful than the guy who was here.

I graduated from BA in 99' and one of my buddies little brother played and graduated with Brandan. Brandan's senior year in h.s. Buzz got fired and Bruce took over, Brandan told Bruce to not waste his time recruiting him. Two years later we were at Jonathan's getting ready for the upcoming NBA draft and Mason asked Brandan that very question. He said that if, during his recruitment, he knew what Bruce Pearl was capable of he would have chosen UT. His exact words were if I knew then what I know now I'd have probably gone with Bruce.

I bet if they both said they would have likely come to TN that Pearl could have persuaded them to do so. It would have been tough, but he is a great salesman.

I would have liked to have had Brewer....would have made for an interesting team

To be fair, that was the one and only year the Tubster pulled in a #1 class. I suppose he liked Joe Crawford that much more than Corey Brewer.

Brewer was not the most highly rated player, but turned out quite well. I most likely would have taken Crawford over him at the time.

Brewer was not the most highly rated player, but turned out quite well. I most likely would have taken Crawford over him at the time.

Crawford wasn't totally a bust either. Once Gillispie got ahold of him, the kid made some huge strides. Tubby just couldn't get it out of him.

To be fair, that was the one and only year the Tubster pulled in a #1 class. I suppose he liked Joe Crawford that much more than Corey Brewer.

Same #1 Class that missed Lofton? :)

Rondo has turned into a solid NBA player, and no NBA team is giving Lofton a look beyond summer leagues. Yet, Rondo wasn't remotely the contributor Lofton was at the collegiate level. Rondo isn't making Tubby look bad now for taking him over Lofton, but he wasn't near the player he is now when Tubby had him.

Crawford wasn't totally a bust either. Once Gillispie got ahold of him, the kid made some huge strides. Tubby just couldn't get it out of him.

I've never seen a coach who could do more with lesser talent and less with more talent than Tubby. Borderline mind-blowing.

Exactly. Tubby is a much better basketball coach than Failmer was a football coach, imo.

Isn't close. Tubby can coach, just wasn't going to pander as the recruiting game now requires. He's gonna demand effort and d.

Tubby is a great coach. That said, I think it was to his benefit to get fired from Kentucky. Kentucky has the most resources, but he has shown he's better at a smaller place.

VN Store

Back